The Student Room Group

Gained a stone! :(

Hi, since first year of uni I've put on a stone of weight. I was around 9 stone at the start of first year (around 120lbs) and now, at the end(ish) of 3rd year I'm around 10 stone (around 140lbs). My height is about 5'7.

I know I'm not overweight/an unhealthy weight and that I'm ok, but I really want to get back to 9 stone. I actually feel fat - I know that sounds ridiculous because I'm not fat per se, but I feel disgusting :frown:.

I graduate in July. Is it possible to lose 1 stone between now and then because I don't want my graduation pictures to have me looking like this? Will I have to radically change my diet? Do I need to get a gym membership or can I workout at home?

Thank you, I know this might seem stupid to some people but it's really affecting me .
I lost 14lbs in a little over a month doing the NHS couch to 5k program combined with a diet but then the weight loss stopped so I joined a gym. If you've got the motivation I think it's possible to lose 20lbs by July whether that's by joining a gym or just going running yourself is up to you but it's certainly possible.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, since first year of uni I've put on a stone of weight. I was around 9 stone at the start of first year (around 120lbs) and now, at the end(ish) of 3rd year I'm around 10 stone (around 140lbs). My height is about 5'7.

I know I'm not overweight/an unhealthy weight and that I'm ok, but I really want to get back to 9 stone. I actually feel fat - I know that sounds ridiculous because I'm not fat per se, but I feel disgusting :frown:.

I graduate in July. Is it possible to lose 1 stone between now and then because I don't want my graduation pictures to have me looking like this? Will I have to radically change my diet? Do I need to get a gym membership or can I workout at home?

Thank you, I know this might seem stupid to some people but it's really affecting me .

Awww :hugs: I felt like this after my first year of university. I suffered from depression and felt very isolated and alone. All I did was pig out for comfort. I ate crap like crisps, cake, chocolate, drank loooads of coke, lots of potatoes with butter all over them, lots of crumpets smothered in butter, too many curries and take away's etc. I didn't realise how bad this was at first until one day I heard my housemates talking about me (they didn't think I was in) and they were saying how fat I had gotten. I had put on 2 stone since I stated university (by this point it was coming to the end of first year). I also noticed that I had lots of stretch marks (I never had stretch marks before until then) and whenever I tried clothes on in New Look, the mirrors made me look awful, no clothes looked nice on me any more (well, that's how I felt) and I'd always come out in tears. :frown: So during the summer when I finished first year I thought enough is enough. I ordered some trainers and sports clothes and went running two - three times a day (in the morning, lunch time and evening), 5 days a week. I cut out all the junk food from my diet and ate more healthily; vegetables, lean meat, fortified cereals etc. I made sure to have breakfast to avoid myself snacking during the day. A few simple changes in diet and running outside can do wonders. I lost all of that weight in about a month.

If you can afford a gym membership, I do recommend it though as I love going to the gym these days (it makes you feel good about yourself and you can get fit and look/feel healthy too).
Reply 3
NOT A STONE???!!!

Seriously, do a bit more walking, eat a few less cakes and you'll be back to thinness (bearing in mind that you're actually a pretty normal weight right now).
Reply 4
God, I've put on a stone in first year alone. :/
I lost 1st 5lbs during my first term at uni - and I'm still a first year now - however, I believe this is because the town I live in is extremely hilly, and it is much much much easier to lose weight walking where I live, than most other places - Aberystwyth, if anyone's interested.

Quick Reply

Latest