The Student Room Group

A trigonometry problem :S

a ladder 2.5m long leans against a vertical wall so that it makes an angle of 68(degrees) with the horizontal grounf. how far up the wall does the aldder reach ? give your answer to one decimal place.

^^ i have worked it out however im not fully convinced that my answer is correct as it looks odd. my answer was 0.9m by using cos
thankyou for any help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It might be easier just to post your entire homework in one thread :smile:
Reply 2
BTW your answer is wrong since the wall is OPPOSITE your angle
Reply 3
Original post by silverose
a ladder 2.5m long leans against a vertical wall so that it makes an angle of 68(degrees) with the horizontal grounf. how far up the wall does the aldder reach ? give your answer to one decimal place.

^^ i have worked it out however im not fully convinced that my answer is correct as it looks odd. my answer was 0.9m by using cos
thankyou for any help.

You have found the distance from the wall to the foot of the ladder.

You need sin and not cos.
Reply 4
sin x = opposite/hypotenuse
sin68= length/2.5

length=2.5sin68= 2.3m (2sf)
Reply 5

thankyou for any help.

See the diagram below:

(edited 12 years ago)
#.\
#...\
#.....\
#.......\ 2.5m.......sin68= x/2.5
#.........\ ............x= 2.5Xsin68
#...........\...........x=2.3 m (1.dp)
#_____(68 \
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MarshmallowBob
#.\
#...\
#.....\
#.......\ 2.5m.......sin68= x/2.5
#.........\ ............x= 2.5Xsin68
#...........\...........x=2.3 m (1.dp)
#_____(68 \

I think i posted a better diagram above :smile:.
Original post by raheem94
See the diagram below:

This picture made my day.
I think i posted a better diagram above :smile:.

Lol i couldnt agree more :P i had wasted a good 5 mins with the diagram, then is saw your post, so i thought might aswell post it.
Reply 11
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
This picture made my day.

Lol :biggrin:
Lol :biggrin:

I particularly enjoyed that you clarified where the wall was.
Reply 13
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I particularly enjoyed that you clarified where the wall was.

How do you enjoy a maths diagram?
How do you enjoy a maths diagram?

The same way you enjoy anything? The notion that you had to clarify that the only vertical structure in the diagram was a wall made me smile.
Reply 15
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The same way you enjoy anything? The notion that you had to clarify that the only vertical structure in the diagram was a wall made me smile.

I just wanted to label the diagram. However, i didn't labelled the horizontal ground :biggrin:.
Reply 16
Original post by TenOfThem
It might be easier just to post your entire homework in one thread :smile:

nobody's forcing you to help me .. don't like the fact that i can't do all my homework by myself but i'm trying to get help then keep scrolling and keep any nasty comments to yourself love.
Reply 17
Thankyou so much for the patience with the diagrams guys .. really helped :biggrin:
Reply 18
nobody's forcing you to help me .. don't like the fact that i can't do all my homework by myself but i'm trying to get help then keep scrolling and keep any nasty comments to yourself love.

Its not a 'nasty comment'. Why can't you post all the questions in one thread?

We don't have problem with you not able to do your homework, but you were suggested to post all the questions in one thread rather than making multiple threads.

Accidentally neg repped you when I wanted to pos rep you! Sorry:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest