The Student Room Group

Higher Maths or Modern Studies?

I am choosing my subjects for 5th year and I want to study History at University (ideally Edinburgh/St. Andrews) or a History/Pyschology or History/Sociology joint honours. The subjects I have chosen so far are:

English
History
Psychology
Chemistry

I am unsure whether to take Maths or Modern Studies as my last subject. I do not enjoy maths, and Modern Studies would obviously be more appropriate for a History/Sociology or History/Psychology course, which is what i plan to study. Nonetheless, I wonder whether I have taken enough humanities subjects already and whether admissions tutors would be more impressed with a high grade in Maths. I do well in Maths despite not finding it much fun, but also do well in History which I have been told is similar to Modern Studies. If I did not take Modern Studies this year, I would do so next year. Any help on what I should choose would be appreciated. Thanks.
My cousin studied History at Uni and her 5th year subjects were higher English, History, Modern Studies, French and Latin. I'm taking Modern Studies at int 2 right now, it's really easy. I'm not taking it to Higher though as I'm planning on studying medicine. I've picked: Maths, English, Chem, Human Bio and RMPS. I'd say what you picked is fine, but to study history I'd pick modern studies over maths:-)
Reply 2
This would be such an easy choice for me seeing as I can't stand Maths!

However, as I didn't do Higher Maths this year, I can't really tell you which would be better to take, although if you're doing History, you are probably better off with Modern Studies. Ask any one of my friends that has taken both subjects, and they would definitely tell you straight away that Higher Modern Studies is 100 times easier than Higher Maths! I can guarantee you that you would definitely get a better mark in Modern Studies than you would in Maths, plus there would be less formula memorising to do! :rolleyes:

BUT, there is still also a lot to remember in Modern Studies, i.e. in facts and possibly quotes. As I do both Higher History and Modern Studies, there are some noticeable repeats in the topics such as in the British unit in History, you have more of an idea of what's going on in the context in relation to stuff like health and wealth compared to other people in the class that didn't take Modern Studies. Therefore overall I'd say pick Modern Studies all the way!
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses!

I am seriously tempted to do so, however I am still unsure as to whether or not Maths might look better? Having 2 Sciences would show that I am not only good at Humanities, however I am unsure if just Chemistry is enough for this, or actually if a fourth Humanity would make much more difference then three.
Reply 4
Original post by Migey
I am still unsure as to whether or not Maths might look better?

Choosing a subject to look better is not always the best way to do things. After I had got my exam results back last year, I was surprised to see that I had got an A at int 2 Biology in Standard Grade. Therefore I dropped Higher Art for Higher Human Biology, thinking a Science would make me look smarter as I didn't have Maths. BIGGEST. MISTAKE. EVER! From day one of sitting in the class, I hated the teacher, I didn't understand the work in class, I failed at all the NABs and scraped passes in the re-sits just in no more and I actually eventually ended up dropping the subject about 2 weeks ago. Now I am left with 3 Highers and 1 Int 2. I practically wasted a year in a subject I don't even dream of taking again next year. Do not make the same stupid mistake as I did!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I understand that, however the problem thats making the choice difficult for me is that i am actually good at Maths. Much as i dislike it, i do excel ahead of my class mates in one or two topics (even if im struggling in others) and i got 93% overall in the Prelim. I understand that Higher is much, much harder then Standard Grade though, so i suppose i could struggle with it at Higher.

However i am leaning slightly more now towards Modern Studies and i will be speaking to my teachers about it.
Reply 6
Original post by Migey
I understand that, however the problem thats making the choice difficult for me is that i am actually good at Maths. Much as i dislike it, i do excel ahead of my class mates in one or two topics (even if im struggling in others) and i got 93% overall in the Prelim. I understand that Higher is much, much harder then Standard Grade though, so i suppose i could struggle with it at Higher.

However i am leaning slightly more now towards Modern Studies and i will be speaking to my teachers about it.

Let me just say I got an A in the final exam for Int 2 Biology and a complete fail in everything else at Higher Human Biology. But you're right, it's definitely worth hearing both sides from teachers first before making your final decision!
To be honest, as far as the university question is concerned, your other subjects mean that it doesn't really matter which you choose. Choose which you think you'll find easier and/or enjoy more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending