Southampton Uni chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7200
Haha, are 4 of us half the active posters? Sad times
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Found wifi here, so I'm on TSR :rofl: So hot here though...
Where is 'here'?

Also, damn today for being the day it rained when I chose to cycle to NOC. :frown:
I'll still be around...well sort of, I will be in Germany somewhere, but still, I'm pretty sure they have internet in Germany.
Back in So'ton :biggrin:
Reply 7205
Welcome home
Reply 7206
That was in capitals.. Bloody TSR
I thought I'd add some diversity into the posters on this thread. I imagine you four will find this post quite exciting!
Well we do need more regular posters with half the regulars about to graduate. Are you defo switching courses then Rob?
yay, more posters!
Original post by hamijack
Well we do need more regular posters with half the regulars about to graduate. Are you defo switching courses then Rob?

Well, I do want to switch but I'm not sure it's going to happen. I crossed biology off because I think not having carried AS biology to A2 would be too much of a problem for me. My twin brother, who has similar interests as me, would not recommend it. The fact I wasn't very good at the practicals at AS put me off too.

So I've contacted the Economics department but have yet to receive a reply. I didn't do maths at A level but this shouldn't be as much of a problem, hopefully... I said I'd study maths over summer but all I can do now is wait to see whether they'd consider me. So I'm not definitely switching courses yet :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7211
Original post by RobertWhite
Well, I do want to switch but I'm not sure it's going to happen. I crossed biology off because I think not having carried AS biology to A2 would be too much of a problem for me. My twin brother, who has similar interests as me, would not recommend it. The fact I wasn't very good at the practicals at AS put me off too.

So I've contacted the Economics department but have yet to receive a reply. I didn't do maths at A level but this shouldn't be as much of a problem, hopefully... I said I'd study maths over summer but all I can do now is wait to see whether they'd consider me. So I'm not definitely switching courses yet :tongue:

if you did switch, would your fees stay at 3K??
Original post by fnm
if you did switch, would your fees stay at 3K??

Yes because I'm switching within the same university.
Reply 7213

There's not actually much maths involved with economics, it's just statistics and a lot of interpretation/regression.
Original post by Deshi
There's not actually much maths involved with economics, it's just statistics and a lot of interpretation/regression.

Do you think I stand a chance of switching to Economics then? I have good grades but just in the wrong subjects. This is what I keep hearing, that economics doesn't contain that much difficult maths, yet they want maths at A2 (not all courses). I will be annoyed if this lets be down because I'm more than willing and able to study maths over the 3 months we have at summer!
Reply 7215
Do you think I stand a chance of switching to Economics then? I have good grades but just in the wrong subjects. This is what I keep hearing, that economics doesn't contain that much difficult maths, yet they want maths at A2 (not all courses). I will be annoyed if this lets be down because I'm more than willing and able to study maths over the 3 months we have at summer!

It depends. I have friends that managed an A at Maths in A level and they're struggling with econometrics (stats basically) and one or two have even failed it. Without sounding too harsh I think that without A level Maths you will struggle, but obviously if you're willing to put in the work (which would need to be quite a bit), you might be able to do it.
Original post by Deshi
It depends. I have friends that managed an A at Maths in A level and they're struggling with econometrics (stats basically) and one or two have even failed it. Without sounding too harsh I think that without A level Maths you will struggle, but obviously if you're willing to put in the work (which would need to be quite a bit), you might be able to do it.

Is it quite different to the stats in Psychology? I know some who find it really difficult. I have found it rather elementary though, I imagine it must differ to the stats you'd do in economics though...
Reply 7217
Is it quite different to the stats in Psychology? I know some who find it really difficult. I have found it rather elementary though, I imagine it must differ to the stats you'd do in economics though...

Erm I wouldn't know, but I have a mate who does sociology and it's a lot harder than the stats he does, so if the stats you do is similar to sociology than I would definitely say its harder and different.

You should go to the library and pick up an econometrics book and see how it looks. A lot of regression basically.
Original post by Deshi
Erm I wouldn't know, but I have a mate who does sociology and it's a lot harder than the stats he does, so if the stats you do is similar to sociology than I would definitely say its harder and different.

You should go to the library and pick up an econometrics book and see how it looks. A lot of regression basically.

kk, thanks for your help, really helpful!
Heyy, sorry for butting in :tongue: I'm hoping to study portuguese and spanish either at southampton or leeds and was wondering if you could tell me more about life at southampton? Some people I talk to seem to think soutampton city is 'grotty',though I've seen it a few times and it seems alright!? Leeds is a biggger city and all but I worry its too party driven as a whole..

Quick Reply

Latest