The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinky_pwincess
Somebody help me :frown:

I am 18, have a 1.2 fiesta and live in a fairly high risk area, insurance is £5000+!!
I have been on various websites such as tesco compare, tiger, co-op and all the go compare etc but i am getting quoted the same. I have tried my dad as th main driver who has 15 years of no claims but that has done nothing :frown:

I am really at a loss of what to do, dont want to sell my car but i think i might have to :'(

Has anyone else been in the same situation as me? What did you do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thank you

P.S has anyone tried ikube?

Try Quinn Direct. My insurance is £212 a month, but that's for a golf 1.4 and I'm 20, nearly 21. Passed about 5 months a go.

Cheapest after them was at least double.

I am 18, have a 1.2 fiesta and live in a fairly high risk area, insurance is £5000+!!
I have been on various websites such as tesco compare, tiger, co-op and all the go compare etc but i am getting quoted the same. I have tried my dad as th main driver who has 15 years of no claims but that has done nothing :frown:

I am really at a loss of what to do, dont want to sell my car but i think i might have to :'(

Thank you

If you live in a high risk area - try saying your car is parked on the road rather than in a locked garage/driveway (it took nearly 1000 off my insurance), try altering your job (i.e if your a student with a part time job make sure you put that part time job in), sometimes fully comp is cheaper than just third party, also keep the milage down (under 5000).

Also ring up and haggle with them! if you've only got those quotes from the internet you'll find when they put exact details in it might change by a few hundred, i know mine did.
Original post by snufkin_
If you live in a high risk area - try saying your car is parked on the road rather than in a locked garage/driveway (it took nearly 1000 off my insurance), try altering your job (i.e if your a student with a part time job make sure you put that part time job in), sometimes fully comp is cheaper than just third party, also keep the milage down (under 5000).

Also ring up and haggle with them! if you've only got those quotes from the internet you'll find when they put exact details in it might change by a few hundred, i know mine did.

I have tried the parking thing but it didnt really make a difference.
Yesterday i got a third party quote for 15,000 and comprehensive was 14,000 something so yeah that does make a difference but stil way too much "/

Ikube wouldnt even quote me because my area is so bad and my age :frown:
I have tried the parking thing but it didnt really make a difference.
Yesterday i got a third party quote for 15,000 and comprehensive was 14,000 something so yeah that does make a difference but stil way too much "/

Ikube wouldnt even quote me because my area is so bad and my age :frown:

Then there is obviously something incredibly strange about your application. I live in the highest rated risk postcode and was well under £2000 for my first car.

You may find the main problem is your car itself. Are there any modifications to it? When I was looking late last year, I found the cheapest cars to insure where at least a 03 reg, anything older than that would cost loads to insure. Also you say it's a fiesta, that could also be the problem. If its a traditional boy racer esk car you end up paying more (i.e I found yaris's really cheap to insure, but saxos were through the roof with insurance).

Also try adding more named driver to the policy, I currently have 4 named drivers on mine as it made it cheaper. If you regularly see your grandparents, and they drive, it may be worth adding them on too.

IKube are stupid btw they wouldn't insure me either ><

Thank you

Co-op young drivers.

Put yourself main driver, low millage add your dad as a named driver and put their millage high.
Original post by Camoxide
Co-op young drivers.

Put yourself main driver, low millage add your dad as a named driver and put their millage high.

Will try that idea, thanks :smile:
Right ladies and gents. I am after a ford fiesta or renault clio between 1.1 - 1.4, that alone i can afford by myself. My mother kindly afford that if i was able to find a company that would insure my car for £3,ooo she would pay for it in one lump sum.
Well i have been up for 4-5hours and still can't find anything near £3,ooo. Cheapest so far £6,ooo Most expensive £46,ooo (4insurance go die)

If i can not solve this problem I would be forced to ride a motorcycle. A yamaha YZF r125cc, a used one would go for around £3,ooo.
The down side to this option would be, that i would have no financial assistance from my parents. My mothers statements "she doesn't want to buy the tool that will eventually be the cause of my death" & "the bike will not benefit the family" i understand her point of view.

Would like to say thank you for setting aside your time in your busy schedule :wink: to read my gibberish. I would also be grateful if anyone could help me get a cheap quote.

Key details that may need for any quote :biggrin:

DOB: 22/12/94
Post code: SW16 xxx
Vehicle kept over night: car park
2nd Occupation: teamsport race director (That job not on most systems so i would just put, sales assistant retail)
Co-op young drivers.

Add your parents to the insurance, put their millage quite high and yours low.

Mine's only £760 :biggrin:.

Only problem is you can't speed on it.

Any reason for the neg?
(edited 11 years ago)
Co-op young drivers.

My mum has lost her licence. She accumulated to many points.
Co-op insurance was the actually company that gave me that £6,ooo quote, was pretty surprised for the wrong reasons.
I just tried aviva and got a quote of £11,ooo.
Co-op young drivers.

Is that the one with the box thingamabob?
Being raped her. I probably have to wait until I'm a pensioner, to ever dream of getting anything under a £1,ooo lol.
Original post by Steevee
Is that the one with the box thingamabob?

Yep, even with them monitoring my speed for 360 days i would have to give em £6,ooo. :frown:
Happy days. Pay day £388 - tax online banking xx :smile:
You need to ring some companies up, the websites will all give you stupid quotes at your age.
I just called a company co-operative insurance, the lad was such a douche. He probably wanted to go for his lunch.

I asked him what will my insurance be, i gave him my DOB and then he said £8,ooo. I did asked what about the rest of the information I'm suppose to give. He then said what about it lol. He basically then told me to **** off, after i tried hinting to him that the maximum i could pay was £3,ooo.
I just tried go compare.

Cheapest quote was around £10,ooo

Most expensive quote £22,ooo

My sister also put in her details, few months older.

Cheapest quote, £3,ooo

Most expensive £10,ooo

Same address, same car, same answers to questions, for example estimated miles etc.

I'm pretty shocked right now, my sister is also gushing salt into my wounds by laughing, also claiming she's a better driver even though she does not hold a licence, not even provisional lol. :frown: NEED HELP.
Reply 1077
Why not look at some other cars? Mid sized saloons are often cheaper to insure than hatchbacks simply because everyone and their dog runs a hatchback.

I wouldn't get too hung up on engine capacity either. There's often not a lot of difference in terms of power and fuel economy up to 2 litres anyway.
Thanks mate, what cars would you suggest me searching up on auto trader?
Try this:

Quote with CO-OP either the Fiesta or Clio which ever one you want and have you as the main driver and your mum as the named. See what quote you get.