The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

So I'm coming to the University of Edinburgh in September for a postgrad course and I am looking for a room in a non-university flat (with other students). Can anyone suggest some websites where students advertise spare rooms? Is there a certain area in the city where most students live? And if I just came a few weeks early is there a chance I'd still be able to find a decent place? (I'm from Canada so I can't really make it out there before my course starts!)
Any help would be great! Thanks!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Try gumtree, that is usually good. Have a look for a facebook group that talks about edinburgh uni flat shares, I know there is one for edinburgh napier :smile:
Reply 262
Does make sense then, what did you actually hear/read about Fraser Court? I'm getting a little worried now because I put that down as my third choice, after Meadow Court and New Arthur Place
Original post by persov
Does make sense then, what did you actually hear/read about Fraser Court? I'm getting a little worried now because I put that down as my third choice, after Meadow Court and New Arthur Place

I just Googled, there were quite a few threads on here which said some nasty stuff about it. Like:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=267622

The others were less serious things, mostly along the lines of "there's no phones!" so I won't bother with links to those ones :wink:

There was also:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/accommodation/halls-of-residence-at-the-university-of-edinburgh/
Reply 264
Original post by satellite_eyes
So I'm coming to the University of Edinburgh in September for a postgrad course and I am looking for a room in a non-university flat (with other students). Can anyone suggest some websites where students advertise spare rooms? Is there a certain area in the city where most students live? And if I just came a few weeks early is there a chance I'd still be able to find a decent place? (I'm from Canada so I can't really make it out there before my course starts!)
Any help would be great! Thanks!

As well as Gumtree Flatshare there is also easyroommate and Studentpad. Hope that helps :smile: !
Original post by persov
Likewise, I can't think of anything worse than being trapped with a bunch of kids that can't go out or drink, let alone be immature and not be able to handle their drink or do the washing up.

Do they bunch the slightly more mature students together?

How come 17 year olds are going to university anyway? surely it would be better to take a gap year first.

I'll be 17 for the fist two months, hardly a reason to put my plans on hold for an entire year. Though I agree with DM because I'm worried that it might make it harder for me to make friends if I can't go out to the same places as them. I'm hoping though that most nights they'd go to the Union so I would be able to join.
Reply 266
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Meh. It's just the natural progression from the completion of secondary education onto university.

We all have our own needs. Hell I drink, I just can't buy it myself using my own ID.

Re: gap year. According to my careers adviser, universities like you to apply when you're ready. I'm ready.

I'll be 20 when I start in Sept. To hell with ageists, I'll buy you a drink. :cool:
Original post by persov
I understand what you mean, just from my experiences hanging out in halls at UCL this year, a lot of the guys and gals that didn't take gap years act a lot less mature than the ones that did....of course there are exceptions to that.

Plenty of exceptions - so much so it isn't even a rule. I've met plenty of intelligent, mature, balanced 16 and 17 year olds in Edinburgh, and I've met some right morons who've been on gap years and really should know better.
I'm applying for accommodation at Edinburgh University for September 2012. My preference is to go for a single shared bathroom room in catered halls (of course Pollock). I was just wondering if anyone knows of any difference between the individual houses (namely Baird House, Ewing House, Lee House and Turner House). Are they all pretty much the same or does anyone know of one which is better than the others etc? I've not been able to find a lot of information on this but I do apologise if the question has been asked before. Thanks for any replies.
Original post by thegenius31416
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any difference between the individual houses (namely Baird House, Ewing House, Lee House and Turner House).

They're the same.
Original post by christielovesyou
Can someone clarify something for me?

I was at the applicant's day on Wednesday and at the accommodation talk, the guy said that if you change your mind about anything on your application once you've applied, you can just apply again and it cancels out your last application.

Is that definitely right? I put Fraser Court as my first choice but after doing a bit of a Google about it (I know, I shoud've done my research first :rolleyes:) I've decided I don't want to live there, because a. people have said some very grim things about it, and b. I've realised I'd like to be more central.

Currently got down New Arthur Place as 2nd choice and East Newington Place as 3rd, I'd ideally like to change to NAP, ENP and Hermit's Croft (but maybe shuffle my choices around a bit).

Heeeeelp! :confused:

Sorry, but bumping myself because I really have to find this out ASAP. :colondollar:
Original post by christielovesyou
Sorry, but bumping myself because I really have to find this out ASAP. :colondollar:

I'm afraid none of us knows. I've never heard it said before, but it doesn't sound altogether implausible. If it's essential then you'd really be better off getting in touch with Allocations.

Fraser Court really isn't that bad, and certainly isn't much different from any of the other places you've applied. ENP and HC aren't really any more central either - it's only NAP that is closer.
Original post by Supportive mum
Yes, but they would only get shared accommodation, possibly bunks!

www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.85309!/fileManager/undergradleafletfinalproof.pdf

To be fair to the University, it doesn't say that, and I wish you'd stop repeating it because it's not true. The guarantee is for shared accommodation. This does NOT mean all insurance students will be allocated shared accommodation - it merely guarantees that shared is the minimum they will be offered. In many instances there will be students who select Edinburgh as their insurance and end up in single accommodation.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I'm afraid none of us knows. I've never heard it said before, but it doesn't sound altogether implausible. If it's essential then you'd really be better off getting in touch with Allocations.

Fraser Court really isn't that bad, and certainly isn't much different from any of the other places you've applied. ENP and HC aren't really any more central either - it's only NAP that is closer.

I suppose I may as well try and change, and if needs be, I'll let Allocations know. Might actually redo them altogether now that I've realised I want to be more central - Nicholson Street would be very handy, seeing as I'll be spending most of my time at Ali House!

I wish I'd thought this through more thoroughly before applying, I feel like I've made a right mess of it now. :s-smilie:
Original post by amrudysm
I'll be 20 when I start in Sept. To hell with ageists, I'll buy you a drink. :cool:

Top man :smile:
To be fair to the University, it doesn't say that, and I wish you'd stop repeating it because it's not true. The guarantee is for shared accommodation. This does NOT mean all insurance students will be allocated shared accommodation - it merely guarantees that shared is the minimum they will be offered. In many instances there will be students who select Edinburgh as their insurance and end up in single accommodation.

My apologies! I see what you're getting at. To be honest, if she were to have to go to her insurance university, I'd much prefer it to be Edinburgh and not Durham. The course is much better and the city has so much more to offer.
Original post by Supportive mum
My apologies! I see what you're getting at. To be honest, if she were to have to go to her insurance university, I'd much prefer it to be Edinburgh and not Durham. The course is much better and the city has so much more to offer.

There you are! It just shocks me how short-sighted people get about the whole 1st year accommodation thing. It's 8 months - no time at all. If it isn't perfect then so what, and so on. The shared accommodation in Pollock isn't *ideal* if you don't want to share, but the quality is fine.
Reply 277
Hi,
I was wondering if you could answer some of my questions; I am going to be studying fine art at ECA, and was choosing accomodation- dont really need to be rooming with other art students, and want to do self catered.
So-
Which are the best self catered places ( are there any mixed sex ones?/ are there any that are less like residence halls)?

Also, any information would be great.. thanks!!
They're the same.

No difference at all? Idential buildings?
Reply 279
Original post by thegenius31416
No difference at all? Idential buildings?

I never stayed in Pollock but the few times I went I got hellishly lost because it all looks the same. Well some are older and some are newer but all the older ones look the same, same with newer.

I've been in a fair few different halls and self catered flats and all the rooms are very very similar. There's none I'd say are better. It's a just a question of size and if you share

Quick Reply

Latest