The Student Room Group

Inappropriate actions by teacher?

I was just wondering if the following was inappropriate behavior from a teacher?

Basically, we're on holidays now and he met up with 4 S4 girls (ages15/16) and played a game of golf with them. He's late 20s.
He's also invited some of the pupils from his S4 class to his wedding, like formal invitations.
After a mock exam he went with his class on a trip to the cinema, not a school trip or anything, he just tagged along.

Most people who I've talked to seem to think this is nothing inappropriate and that he hasn't crossed the line of teacher into friend, just wondering TSRs opinion.

Scroll to see replies

It's weird but I don't see any point in reporting him.
I wouldn't call it inappropriate as that tends to have certain stigmas attached when referring to teachers but he might want to calm down a bit because it does sound like he's trying to build a friendship base with his students which although that in itself is not "bad" it may lead to the kids not associating him with authority which could lead to them crossing lines that might make it more difficult for him to successfully teach them.

Watching a movie in class every now and then and having a laugh with his students? fine. Inviting them to a significant event in his private life? a bit far.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
It's weird but I don't see any point in reporting him.

I never was going to report him :P just wondering what peoples opinions are
Reply 4
It's not like he is boning them.
Its a bit weird but nothing to report...yet
Reply 6
I'm training to be a teacher and I have to say that some teachers really do shock me :confused:

Why the **** would a teacher in their late 20's hang round with 15/16 year olds?!?!?!
Reply 7
Original post by Darth Stewie
I wouldn't call it inappropriate as that tends to have certain stigmas attached when referring to teachers but he might want to calm down a bit because it does sound like he's trying to build a friendship base with his students which although that in itself is not "bad" it may lead to the kids not associating him with authority which could lead to them crossing lines that might make it more difficult for him to successfully teach them.

Watching a movie in class every now and then and having a laugh with his students? fine. Inviting them to a significant event in his private life? a bit far.

I don't think it crosses the line, I've been invited to a wedding of a teacher before and so has my friend to another teacher.
It's not like they are going to be alone with him in a room. And besides if they are 15/16 they may well be leaving the school soon.
As long as their parents know I think its ok
Reply 8
Original post by Moa
It's not like he is boning them.

yet
Reply 9
Original post by Luxray
I don't think it crosses the line, I've been invited to a wedding of a teacher before and so has my friend to another teacher.
It's not like they are going to be alone with him in a room. And besides if they are 15/16 they may well be leaving the school soon.
As long as their parents know I think its ok

But isn't that crossing the boundary between friend and teacher? Like, meeting up in the holidays to play golf is a bit weird
Reply 10
Original post by aroy45
But isn't that crossing the boundary between friend and teacher? Like, meeting up in the holidays to play golf is a bit weird

Yeah it certainly does mean the teacher is becoming a friend - I might be politically incorrect in saying this but in my opinion that's a good thing when the pupils in their final year ca see a teacher as not just a figure of authority but also as someone they can be friends with.
Reply 11
Original post by Luxray
Yeah it certainly does mean the teacher is becoming a friend - I might be politically incorrect in saying this but in my opinion that's a good thing when the pupils in their final year ca see a teacher as not just a figure of authority but also as someone they can be friends with.

It isn't their final year though, we're in scotland where there are 6 straight years of high school and they are in their fourth year.
Original post by aroy45
I was just wondering if the following was inappropriate behavior from a teacher?

Basically, we're on holidays now and he met up with 4 S4 girls (ages15/16) and played a game of golf with them. He's late 20s.
He's also invited some of the pupils from his S4 class to his wedding, like formal invitations.
After a mock exam he went with his class on a trip to the cinema, not a school trip or anything, he just tagged along.

Most people who I've talked to seem to think this is nothing inappropriate and that he hasn't crossed the line of teacher into friend, just wondering TSRs opinion.

A bit unusual for students to be mates with their teachers but i actually think this is quite beneficial to the students and the teacher (educationally)

Obviously you might wanna be cautious cause it is a male teacher with female students so just be aware of any signs of anything dangerous to your mates
Reply 13
Original post by aroy45

As long as he didn't invite any of them on one knee then it's all good :cool:
Reply 14
Whats wrong with your teacher being your friend?

I still regularly talk to my year 11 science teacher 4 years on, got a picture of her with me and my mates at prom on my wall, she's in her 50's but an out and out legend anyone in our school will tell you.
Part of what made her a good teacher (aside from being incredibly knowledgable in the subject) was her friendly nature, use of comedy and you knew if you got a *******ing it was going to be loud and you'd feel bad for disappointing her.

Seriously the best teacher I've ever came across, did triple science GCSE and absolutely destroyed it with her help.

People are so quick to dehumanise education and embrace the standardisation we are seeing increasingly within schools these days, but quite frankly it doesn't work, we aren't robots. We are all people here so why shouldn't teachers and students be friends? Hell I think it's stupid not to be, how are you able to effectively teach someone and know what works best if they're just another name on the register?
Reply 15
Original post by Megaross
Whats wrong with your teacher being your friend?

I still regularly talk to my year 11 science teacher 4 years on, got a picture of her with me and my mates at prom on my wall, she's in her 50's but an out and out legend anyone in our school will tell you.
Part of what made her a good teacher (aside from being incredibly knowledgable in the subject) was her friendly nature, use of comedy and you knew if you got a *******ing it was going to be loud and you'd feel bad for disappointing her.

Seriously the best teacher I've ever came across, did triple science GCSE and absolutely destroyed it with her help.

People are so quick to dehumanise education and embrace the standardisation we are seeing increasingly within schools these days, but quite frankly it doesn't work, we aren't robots. We are all people here so why shouldn't teachers and students be friends? Hell I think it's stupid not to be, how are you able to effectively teach someone and know what works best if they're just another name on the register?

Stole all my words. :frown:

I've learnt the most from teachers who I consider friends, it's just a far nicer environment to work in. He just sounds friendly really, although the golf was a bit strange (but then again I'm not a golf fan. :tongue:)
Theres def nothing wrong with it.. when I was 11, 2 teachers in my school got married and we got invited and after that in secondary school a few teachers used to take us to cafes and places like that. I think it was great because it made us more relaxed around them and we weren't afraid to speak up in class. Its not like they were flirting with us lol!
My old english teacher (aged 30 probably) invited our class to go on a picnic with her. We didnt feel weird, she was just an extremely nice person.
he might just be friendly or he might be a weird paedo but he's married/getting married so that seems improbable.
He's lonely. Or very sociable. It doesn't matter. Sweet.

Quick Reply

Latest