The Student Room Group

Anyone else feeling bored & fed up of GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by multiplexing-gamer
On your sig you say your awaiting your results in August 2011? Shouldn't it be 2012.

I'm sick of going to school, we don't learn anything useful apart from History anyway.

Oh really? Dumb mistake... I shall correct it now :colondollar:

And I agree!
Well..I am a year 13, not pompous, just going to state that yes A-Levels are harder, but they're not like a masters degree or anything. Harder,but manageable :tongue:

To Op,I definitely get where you are coming from. GCSE's bored me to heck, hence me only getting 2 B's, 5 C's and 2 D's. (I say only..that may be good to some but looking back I wish I'd done so much better!) . Just try your best, remember it's not the end of the world if you fail something.. and just think that when you get into year 12, it's a whole new dimension :biggrin: Well,it was to me. Much more independent learning and no more mandatory subjects (Yay for no Maths or PE!) . The only downside is you may be stuck with the same idiots (For lack of a nicer word) that you were at GCSE :tongue:

Also OP,what do you plan on taking at A-Level?
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Oh really? Dumb mistake... I shall correct it now :colondollar:

And I agree!

You look quite a prominent member of TSR for a year 11. Have you checked out the current year 11 thread?
Reply 43
Original post by jellybean_

Also OP,what do you plan on taking at A-Level?

I have chosen History, Sociology, Economics and Computing (Probably dropping Computing after AS :P)
While I do understand how you feel, I felt the same way in Y11, the whole "doing fewer subjects" thing at A Level is a bit of a trick really. Although you're only picking a few subjects, the modules within those subjects are usually different enough to make them feel like complete different things. So if you think you'll have less to revise then unfortunately not.

Also, I was looking forward to doing subjects I liked and, by November, I hated them all.

I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just saying don't wish your life away because at some point you'll wish you had this life back!
Reply 45
lol gcse's are so much easier to pass lol i did hardly any revision tbh only in science cuz i liked it and walked away with ok ish grades in my opinioun ABBCCCCDD. if ya dont revise at A level you be geting those UUUU's!!!! ;p though i agree with the OP i couldnt wait until school was over cuz i hated media studies and french( the ones i got D's in;p) though come to think of it gcse's were quite a stressful time and probly would of helped if i had revised lol. Captain Hindsight away !!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 46
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Take you're an English Hater/Maths fanatic like myself :biggrin:
What options are you taking at College? :smile:

Yes! Proud to be one!

Further Maths
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
French AS (for 2 years).

It's actual sad that English is mandatory T.T it's the only thing that puts my GCSE grades down. I'm very good at spelling (one of the best in the class) and my grammar is superb (due to studying other languages) but when it goes to the other sorts of stuff like analysing/comparing texts and bloody using connotations -waste of a good poem imo- I just get the D's and fails D:
:angry::angry::angry:
Original post by iSoftie
Yes! Proud to be one!

Further Maths
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
French AS (for 2 years).

It's actual sad that English is mandatory T.T it's the only thing that puts my GCSE grades down. I'm very good at spelling (one of the best in the class) and my grammar is superb (due to studying other languages) but when it goes to the other sorts of stuff like analysing/comparing texts and bloody using connotations -waste of a good poem imo- I just get the D's and fails D:
:angry::angry::angry:

Maths and Physics are the BEST Subjects! :biggrin:
I loath English with a passion. I'm good at creative writing and being imaginative, but when it comes to literature, comparing poems and texts, I suck. Stupid god damn literature. :mad:
Original post by RP-MRU.
Come October, you'll be praying to go back to the world of GCSEs..

We've been told this plenty of times.

However, I think I'll be much happier studying only the subjects that I like. Yes, they're going to be a lot more difficult, but at least I'll have the enthusiasm and determination to work my hardest to achieve the highest grades possible. Unlike, now, where I find the subjects that I like too easy, and hate half my other subjects.
Reply 49
Original post by Calllu-m
I said this this time last year.

YOU WILL ALL MISS GCSES IGNORANT YEAR 11s.

IB and A Levels are DIFFICULT.
You are spoonfed the work you need and need to regurgitate information to do well. Sixth form level is MUCH MUCH MUCH more independent. More time consuming and more difficult.

You are spoon-fed in sixth form as well. And in undergraduate programs.

Wait until graudate study/actual work.
Reply 50

However, I think I'll be much happier studying only the subjects that I like. Yes, they're going to be a lot more difficult, but at least I'll have the enthusiasm and determination to work my hardest to achieve the highest grades possible. Unlike, now, where I find the subjects that I like too easy, and hate half my other subjects.

This is how I felt, and having completed A-levels I stick by it. A-levels are not as hard as people make out, and overall I certainly worked fewer hours for A-level than for GCSE simply because of the drop in the number of subjects.

Not to mention that, as you said, I found my A-level choices actually interesting, and the environment generally became more relaxed.
Original post by Fallen
You are spoon-fed in sixth form as well. And in undergraduate programs.

Wait until graudate study/actual work.

See, I cannot wait till University either. Even though it is a completely different type of education, and immensely more difficult that college, I much prefer to study independently, and learn things by myself. Is there anything I can do at college that will prepare me for University?

What did you study at University?
Original post by Fallen
This is how I felt, and having completed A-levels I stick by it. A-levels are not as hard as people make out, and overall I certainly worked fewer hours for A-level than for GCSE simply because of the drop in the number of subjects.

Not to mention that, as you said, I found my A-level choices actually interesting, and the environment generally became more relaxed.

Finally! Somebody who has completed A-Levels and actually agrees with us who cannot wait for A-Level study! For this, I thank you :smile:

I cannot wait to study my chosen subjects in more depth than GCSE. GCSE is so basic that it is frustrating!
Reply 53

I thought much the same a year ago, however; nothing prepares you for the shock you get at A-level. Having said that, you get used to it pretty quickly. Unlike, GCSEs though, you need constant hard work to succeed at A-level - which is why I say you'll miss GCSEs.
Original post by brightbulb
I'm in year 11, and just feeling fed up of school :frown: I can't get the motivation to revise, and am just sick of doing subjects I don't care about :/

Can't wait until sixth form, where I won't have to do so many subjects and none that I hate :biggrin:

Anyone else feeling this way?

LOL, Yeah, I'm getting bored of GCSEs now.
They like stretch the course so we get so much being-bored time.
I... am both looking forwards to the end of GCSE, but dreading the end. I have this feeling that I'll have lost my purpose in life ahhh.

/nerd

Dreading next year also because I'm doing the IB... any IBers on this thread?
Reply 56
See, I cannot wait till University either. Even though it is a completely different type of education, and immensely more difficult that college, I much prefer to study independently, and learn things by myself. Is there anything I can do at college that will prepare me for University?

What did you study at University?

I still study at university, and Computer Science.

I am a mere undergraduate, but I can respect that we are still relatively spoon fed. I have had the opportunity to do some actual research and have my name on some publications, and it is nothing like being an undergrad.

There is nothing you can really do to prepare as far as I know. Just make sure you are passionate about the subject you apply for. The people on my course who aren't passionate often find it difficult to attend/stay awake in lectures. I don't have that problem, because I find them truly fascinating, and thus achieve far higher in examinations as well.
Original post by Fallen
I still study at university, and Computer Science.

I am a mere undergraduate, but I can respect that we are still relatively spoon fed. I have had the opportunity to do some actual research and have my name on some publications, and it is nothing like being an undergrad.

There is nothing you can really do to prepare as far as I know. Just make sure you are passionate about the subject you apply for. The people on my course who aren't passionate often find it difficult to attend/stay awake in lectures. I don't have that problem, because I find them truly fascinating, and thus achieve far higher in examinations as well.

Would you like to stay at University at a Graduate and do some research after your degree?

Well, I am definitely passionate about my chosen subjects, and I study or read something Mathematical every single day in my spare time, because I love it. So I definitely will not mind study Maths and Physics for hours on end every day :smile:
Reply 58
Would you like to stay at University at a Graduate and do some research after your degree?

Well, I am definitely passionate about my chosen subjects, and I study or read something Mathematical every single day in my spare time, because I love it. So I definitely will not mind study Maths and Physics for hours on end every day :smile:

Eeh not particularly. I am not sure I am cut out for pure research, I think I would prefer and be better suited to applying what I learn to more immediate 'real-life' problems (obviously I don't think research is irrelevant to 'real-life', but hopefully you get what I mean).
Original post by Calllu-m
I said this this time last year.

YOU WILL ALL MISS GCSES IGNORANT YEAR 11s.

IB and A Levels are DIFFICULT.
You are spoonfed the work you need and need to regurgitate information to do well. Sixth form level is MUCH MUCH MUCH more independent. More time consuming and more difficult.

Just wait till you see what uni is like! Believe me it makes sixth form look like nursery.

If you take engineering or any 'hard' subject (law, physics, architecture etc) the work load is colossal.

Imagine 9-5 everyday with 10 hours of assignments a week. No drafts, no practice, just do it and submit.

When you get to two weeks before the finals and realise you can't understand what a question on a previous paper is even asking - There is no mark scheme or 'model' answers. Your on your own.

Quick Reply

Latest