The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hootie*
Hello!
I'm a hopeful applicant and I just wanted to ask has anybody been able to get in with maths only to AS level. I'm sort of deciding what to drop and I know that Imperial is really heavy on the sciences.

Much appreciated! :h:

I know people here without maths A level at all. Granted they might have physics instead.
just to bump... are you guys using the UCAS meet people before you go thing?
Original post by preraphaelite
just to bump... are you guys using the UCAS meet people before you go thing?

Y'know, I didn't even know that service existed. Though I am intrigued, so may take a look. There's a facebook group for the Imperial lot if you want to join that too :biggrin:
Reply 3143
Original post by Hootie*
Hello!
I'm a hopeful applicant and I just wanted to ask has anybody been able to get in with maths only to AS level. I'm sort of deciding what to drop and I know that Imperial is really heavy on the sciences.

Much appreciated! :h:

you don't actually need maths a-level at all! but an AS in maths will do fine... I'd recommend getting at least a B in it though, since imperial's standard offer for 3 A2s and an AS is AAAb (the lower case b refers to an AS level)

Imperial's subject choices policy is confusing I'm not gonna lie haha, but here is a copy-and-paste from their website:

"The minimum entry requirements for this course are three A-levels, including Chemistry and/or Biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS-level. If either Chemistry or Biology is offered alone at A-level, then the other is required at AS-level with at least a grade B."

essentially if you are NOT taking BOTH bio and chem to A2 then you need to take at least one, and the other must be to AS at least. and it needs to then be accompanied by either maths or physics to A2.

If you ARE taking bio and chem BOTH to A2 then you pretty much have free reign over your 3rd and 4th subject :h:

Hope I helped, however if you're confused (i wouldnt blame you to be honest) i'd drop an email to imperial's medicine admissions department and give them all the details of your situation. and they should then say categorically whether or not you would be alright with dropping maths for A2 :h:
Original post by All Taken
Y'know, I didn't even know that service existed. Though I am intrigued, so may take a look. There's a facebook group for the Imperial lot if you want to join that too :biggrin:

link por favor? i have no idea which one to join :confused:
Original post by preraphaelite
link por favor? i have no idea which one to join :confused:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/217707668329775/
To any of the current students what books do you reckon we'll need to buy? At my interview the student was saying that Gray's is all you need ? Also which version of Gray's ? The one for students or the hardcore one ?
Reply 3148
Offer AAAC :wink:
Reply 3149
Original post by Alex J
you don't actually need maths a-level at all! but an AS in maths will do fine... I'd recommend getting at least a B in it though, since imperial's standard offer for 3 A2s and an AS is AAAb (the lower case b refers to an AS level)

Imperial's subject choices policy is confusing I'm not gonna lie haha, but here is a copy-and-paste from their website:

"The minimum entry requirements for this course are three A-levels, including Chemistry and/or Biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS-level. If either Chemistry or Biology is offered alone at A-level, then the other is required at AS-level with at least a grade B."

essentially if you are NOT taking BOTH bio and chem to A2 then you need to take at least one, and the other must be to AS at least. and it needs to then be accompanied by either maths or physics to A2.

If you ARE taking bio and chem BOTH to A2 then you pretty much have free reign over your 3rd and 4th subject :h:

Hope I helped, however if you're confused (i wouldnt blame you to be honest) i'd drop an email to imperial's medicine admissions department and give them all the details of your situation. and they should then say categorically whether or not you would be alright with dropping maths for A2 :h:

Thanks for answering! :smile:
Yeah, I was left at a bit of a loss by their entry requirements. I'll be dropping them an email after easter just to assure me, though.

Also, Congratulations on your firm offer!! :h: (Lucky! :colone:)
Reply 3150
Original post by Nator

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 3151
Original post by Nator

jheeze you been waiting for ages!!!!! well done!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 3152
Original post by praj1

Original post by Hootie*
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Cheers guys :smile:
Original post by Nator

OMG man!! I'm really happy for you. Hadn't heard from you in a while so thought it didn't happen, but seriously, congratulations!

Hope to see you there :biggrin:
Reply 3154
Original post by All Taken
OMG man!! I'm really happy for you. Hadn't heard from you in a while so thought it didn't happen, but seriously, congratulations!

Hope to see you there :biggrin:

Ahh cheers bro! Good to hear from you again :biggrin:
Reply 3155
Original post by Nator

Aaaaah I could give you a massive hug right now, well done! You definitely deserve it man, didn't even tell me you had an interview though :naughty:

GKT will miss you lol
Reply 3156
Original post by oHellno
Aaaaah I could give you a massive hug right now, well done! You definitely deserve it man, didn't even tell me you had an interview though :naughty:

GKT will miss you lol

Ahh thanks a lot ZP! And I haven't chosen yet haha, made a thread about it to make it as informed as possible :smile:
Original post by praj1

Change your profile to firm/insurance!!!
Reply 3158
Original post by Nator

wow well done!! :h: will you be firming? :smile:

last thing i remember you were still waiting before interview! when did you have it?! really well done once again! :h:
Reply 3159
Original post by Hootie*
Thanks for answering! :smile:
Yeah, I was left at a bit of a loss by their entry requirements. I'll be dropping them an email after easter just to assure me, though.

Also, Congratulations on your firm offer!! :h: (Lucky! :colone:)

no problem! :h:

and thanks lol, hopefully this time next year you will have the same :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending