The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kimberlyas
Are there any problems with the premium ensuite rooms? Haven't really saw many people mentioning them?
I would like ensuite though. Is the village better or worse?

I live in an ensuite premium room atm as a current first year and the only thing that's a problem as such is the fact they are more expensive than the village rooms. For the extra price you get a bigger room and bathroom than in the village, and you are nearer the centre of campus. Personally I'm glad I paid the extra, I'd have found a room in the village too small (although everyone I know who lives there haven't complained about room size) and I'm one of those people whose usually running late for things so to be only 5 mins away from most buildings is a lifesaver.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by fabbykadabra
Question, in the T&C prohibited items include electrical items (15.1) .. does this include musical instruments ie. an electric piano?

I don't think an electric piano would be prohbited per say, but do remember that the walls are very thin and chances are most of your flat would be able to hear you play it.
Original post by StefanieLouise
I didn't realise there were three ensuite options? Unless you've put down one of the premier accommodation options, or the two bedroom shared flat - which doesn't sound too bad I guess, I was just worried I wouldn't get on with the one person I was sharing with. Norfolk/Suffolk are my second choice actually as I didn't want to be spending the extra money to just get a slightly bigger bedroom.

ensuite premium and two bed studio, think i'd rather share, if i had too, but still have to share with only 1 person, really don't like the idea of sharing with 5 or 6 others, just hope i get the village tho
Original post by jelly1000
I live in an ensuite premium room atm as a current first year and the only thing that's a problem as such is the fact they are more expensive than the village rooms. For the extra price you get a bigger room and bathroom than in the village, and you are nearer the centre of campus. Personally I'm glad I paid the extra, I'd have found a room in the village too small (although everyone I know who lives there haven't complained about room size) and I'm one of those people whose usually running late for things so to be only 5 mins away from most buildings is a lifesaver.

Yeah, see the extra cost doesn't really bother me very much. Had I gone to University of Bath it was like £107 or something for my sister last year and she was in the basic accomodation, so an extra £3 for premium ensuite sounds great! How many people are in your flat? Do you find any problems with the kitchen space or cooking facilities and stuff? Do you like your flatmates?
Are there any problems with the premium ensuite rooms? Haven't really saw many people mentioning them?
I would like ensuite though. Is the village better or worse?

Better :colone:

To be honest I don't really see much of a difference between the room sizes (bathrooms of course, you guys actually have a room lol) of the village and say britten/brown/paston etc the ensuites in that area, but CT and NC jesus those rooms are massive. But then people just end up hoarding a load of crap, and those who don't, their rooms look like they're in a hotel/don't live in them. Personally for me because I'm a science student except for the lecture theatres it's much easier from the village to get to the science buildings than say where you are as you can bomb it down c. drive in the mornings and miss the crowds of people on the walkways.

I don't think an electric piano would be prohbited per say, but do remember that the walls are very thin and chances are most of your flat would be able to hear you play it.

I don't know if its the same for your flat but it's so weird because we can't hear each other noise whilst in our rooms (except when they turn their lights on...which is creepy) but as soon as you're in the corridor you can hear everything.
It's a shame I can't say the same for the person who lives above me *shudders*.
Reply 2885
Original post by makingamemory
Better :colone:
I don't know if its the same for your flat but it's so weird because we can't hear each other noise whilst in our rooms (except when they turn their lights on...which is creepy) but as soon as you're in the corridor you can hear everything.
It's a shame I can't say the same for the person who lives above me *shudders*.

The walls are THAT thin? Jeez, I don't wanna hear people getting busy, this will be a nightmare. Are there any other accommodations with thicker walls?
Original post by candy82
The walls are THAT thin? Jeez, I don't wanna hear people getting busy, this will be a nightmare. Are there any other accommodations with thicker walls?

I don't think the walls are that thin, like I said I can't hear any of my flatmates general noise (or otherwise) unless I'm outside of my room and in the corridor and only if theyre really noisy.
it's either the space between the ceiling carries sound very well....or the guy has a very squeaky bed -.- urgh.

To be honest it's student accommodation, it's gonna happen no matter where you are :tongue:
Reply 2887
I don't think the walls are that thin, like I said I can't hear any of my flatmates general noise (or otherwise) unless I'm outside of my room and in the corridor and only if theyre really noisy.
it's either the space between the ceiling carries sound very well....or the guy has a very squeaky bed -.- urgh.

To be honest it's student accommodation, it's gonna happen no matter where you are :tongue:

Ew, that's what I'm afraid of. I should get a house for myself instead. Do you know how much would it cost me?

having problems with quoting atm and i cant quote a post with mulitple quotes so im quoting this one:
ive noticed the difference-i could easily get two or three people sleeping on the floor in my room, whereas the room i went into in the village you could probally only get 1 person in.

and from where i am i dont need to go down the walkways to C drive, i just go down past the sports car park past the side of the arts building and round the back of one a building that has a photocopy room in the ground floor and boom im on the drive (albeit at the wrong end)
(edited 12 years ago)

maybe your flatmtes are quiet- i can my hear most of my flatmates convos when they are being a bit loud and i can hear bass music
Yeah, see the extra cost doesn't really bother me very much. Had I gone to University of Bath it was like £107 or something for my sister last year and she was in the basic accomodation, so an extra £3 for premium ensuite sounds great! How many people are in your flat? Do you find any problems with the kitchen space or cooking facilities and stuff? Do you like your flatmates?

yeah UEA accomodation is very reasonably priced as universities go. I'm in an 8 person flat, but you can have 10 or 12 person ones as well. Personally I find the kitchen is a great size, there is more than enough cupboard space for cutlery and crockery. Sometimes fridge and freezer space can get tight and we only have one microwave oven (it has an oven setting as well whch works exactly the same as a conventional oven) so you can't cook and microwave things at the same time. We each get a locker to put cupboard food in. Personally I don't get on that great with most of my flatmates- two are internationals who keep themselves to themselves (most of the premium ensuite flats have at least one or two internationals), then its down to the fact I don't really have anything in common with most of the rest of them. But its luck of the draw really, most people get on really well with theirs.
Original post by candy82
Ew, that's what I'm afraid of. I should get a house for myself instead. Do you know how much would it cost me?

Housing is cheaper than accommodation, I can't give you any proper figures including bills because I haven't lived in anything but accommodation. But Norwich is very cheap compared to most places, like next year my rent is £60 pw, whereas I know friends from back home at their unis are going to be paying at least £120 a week (which is cheap considering their accommodation).

If I'm honest with you, if that's the thing that is worrying you and pushing you towards housing instead. I'd just stick to accommodation, because the chances are you're rarely hear anything of the sort, and if you do ear plugs / headphones :tongue: (what I resorted to when I have to be up at 9am nearly everyday and most of my flat had a reading week holiday)

maybe your flatmtes are quiet- i can my hear most of my flatmates convos when they are being a bit loud and i can hear bass music

Oh theyre anything but quiet :tongue: especially one of them who has a full on sound system that they blast at stupid o'clock in the kitchen (which I just caj walk in and turn off without saying a word :colone:) you can only hear the conversations when theyre out in the corridor. Or playing monopoly in the corridor again at stupid o'clock on a sunday night knowing nearly everyone in the flat has a 9am start on Mon mornings.

I'm dreading the noise during exam season, as I have 10 exams from 24th apr - 6th june :/ Most of my flat are finished right at the start of may, lucky sods. But will probably stay and party day in day out for a few weeks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2892
Housing is cheaper than accommodation, I can't give you any proper figures including bills because I haven't lived in anything but accommodation. But Norwich is very cheap compared to most places, like next year my rent is £60 pw, whereas I know friends from back home at their unis are going to be paying at least £120 a week (which is cheap considering their accommodation).

If I'm honest with you, if that's the thing that is worrying you and pushing you towards housing instead. I'd just stick to accommodation, because the chances are you're rarely hear anything of the sort, and if you do ear plugs / headphones :tongue: (what I resorted to when I have to be up at 9am nearly everyday and most of my flat had a reading week holiday)

Haha, ok then, this sounds reasonable. It's not that, though, I'm also dreading having to live with 8 people and sharing a small kitchen with them. I have a specific type of diet that I like to follow and I'm worried I won't be able to cook my favourite foods with all those people around. I'm not really a very shareable person, to be honest. I value my privacy more than anything. That's why I've been considering living in a house. Do you know where I can look for houses in Norwich?

Off-topic question, how far is the city center to campus? And what's the easiest way to get there?

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
is it maybe better in terms of getting along with flatmates to be in flats with fewer people in so you get to know them more personally? I don't want to be distant with my flat mates haha! My sister moved in a house with all the people from her flat in the second year and they all get on incredibly well but there's only 6 of them..
Original post by candy82
Haha, ok then, this sounds reasonable. It's not that, though, I'm also dreading having to live with 8 people and sharing a small kitchen with them. I have a specific time of diet that I like to follow and I'm worried I won't be able to cook my favourite foods with all those people around. I'm not really a very shareable person, to be honest. I value my privacy more than anything. That's why I've been considering living in a house. Do you know where I can look for houses in Norwich?

Off-topic question, how far is the city center to campus? And what's the easiest way to get there?

:smile:

The kitchens in the premium ensuite flats arent small at all, but then some of the flats have 10 or 12 people in them. You'll find that once freshers is over people will most likely cook at seperate times, out of my 8 flatmates I rarely see more than one person when cooking, sometimes I have to wait to use the
microwave/oven but there are always at least two hobs free.

Or if you didn't mind not having an ensuite (which you most likely wouldnt get in a house anyway) then Orwell/Woolfson only have 5 bed flats. And in a house you would still need to share a kitchen.
Homerun would be your best place to start, you may need to email for the password for that.
http://www.ueastudent.com/housing thats the link

And as far as travel goes, the city centre is 3 miles from uni, easiest way to get there is by bus or taxi if there are a few of you going together. Bus= £4 return or you can get a bus pass for £210 a year. Taxi is £6.50 one way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2895
The kitchens in the premium ensuite flats arent small at all, but then some of the flats have 10 or 12 people in them. You'll find that once freshers is over people will most likely cook at seperate times, out of my 8 flatmates I rarely see more than one person when cooking, sometimes I have to wait to use the
microwave/oven but there are always at least two hobs free.

Or if you didn't mind not having an ensuite (which you most likely wouldnt get in a house anyway) then Orwell/Woolfson only have 5 bed flats. And in a house you would still need to share a kitchen.
Homerun would be your best place to start, you may need to email for the password for that.
http://www.ueastudent.com/housing thats the link

And as far as travel goes, the city centre is 3 miles from uni, easiest way to get there is by bus or taxi if there are a few of you going together. Bus= £4 return or you can get a bus pass for £210 a year. Taxi is £6.50 one way.

I forgot to mention that I'm not a fresher, I'm a prospective international postgrad student. I believe there are accommodations specifically for postgrads, right?

Oh, I do want an ensuite room. As far as Premium ensuites go, they're too expensive. I don't wanna pay more than £100.

I see! But there are no one-bedroomed flats available around the city?

Awesome! I'll go for the bus pass then. Thanks a lot for the tip! :smile:
Original post by candy82
I forgot to mention that I'm not a fresher, I'm a prospective international postgrad student. I believe there are accommodations specifically for postgrads, right?

Oh, I do want an ensuite room. As far as Premium ensuites go, they're too expensive. I don't wanna pay more than £100.

I see! But there are no one-bedroomed flats available around the city?

Awesome! I'll go for the bus pass then. Thanks a lot for the tip! :smile:

ah i see, in that case i can understand why you want a bit more quiet. There is usually one block of each type reserved specifically for postgrads (international only) so there should be a block in the village.
Its likely a one bed flat will be more expensive than halls especially as you have to pay bills as well. A search on a property website showed me the minimum price is around £115pw + bills
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2897
ah i see, in that case i can understand why you want a bit more quiet. There is usually one block of each type reserved specifically for postgrads (international only) so there should be a block in the village.
And I'm sure there are some one bed flats, but they will most likely be more expensive than the premium ensuite halls (baring in mind you will have bills to pay as well).

Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

The Village is ensuite, right?

Huh, this is a quite a pickle. I think I'll just go for residence halls then, since you said that the city is far away from campus and it's more expensive. I don't wanna waste time in transportation. I think that's a more reasonable decision, right?
Original post by candy82
Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

The Village is ensuite, right?

Huh, this is a quite a pickle. I think I'll just go for residence halls then, since you said that the city is far away from campus and it's more expensive. I don't wanna waste time in transportation. I think that's a more reasonable decision, right?

yes the village is ensuite and you'll only be sharing with other international postgrads who are very unilkely to be a problem to share with. and yes i think being on campus would be the best choice, especially as you don't know the area and this way you will be near the library.
Reply 2899
yes the village is ensuite and you'll only be sharing with other international postgrads who are very unilkely to be a problem to share with. and yes i think being on campus would be the best choice, especially as you don't know the area and this way you will be near the library.

Ah, that's a relief! It's settled then!

Now that we got the accommodation covered, I would like to ask about the supplies I am supposed to bring with me - like duvets, sheets, kitchen stuff... etc. Is it easy and cheap to buy these things when I get there?

Latest

Trending

Trending