The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Sheffield?

Hi I am going to be firming one of these two for law with German in the next week. I want to work for a magic circle law firm in the future, or that is the aim at least. Is there an advantage in going to one over the other? I am willing to do as much work as possible to make it happen, I just don't want to be disadvantaged by firming the wrong uni. Any help is appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Grades (for MC possibly/probably a first) will be far, far more useful than which of those two unis you opt for.

Which do you prefer? Because if you're happy there you're more likely to get a First. Sheff's nearer home (I'm from Wakey myself) and the city's not as big. Birmingham's a bigger uni and city, but a bit further out from the city centre, and personally I reckon a better night out. If you're into rugby (realise it's big amongst the QEGS boys) then Brum has better sporting pedigree.

Are there any particular modules you fancy at either of them or research strengths?
(edited 12 years ago)
Sheffield, only because my sister goes there.
Reply 3
Original post by roh
Grades (for MC possibly/probably a first) will be far, far more useful than which of those two unis you opt for.

Which do you prefer? Because if you're happy there you're more likely to get a First. Sheff's nearer home (I'm from Wakey myself) and the city's not as big. Birmingham's a bigger uni and city, but a bit further out from the city centre, and personally I reckon a better night out. If you're into rugby (realise it's big amongst the QEGS boys) then Brum has better sporting pedigree.

Are there any particular modules you fancy at either of them or research strengths?

So the degree classification is more important than the uni?

And to be honest at first I preferred Sheffield, however Birmingham has grown on me. Also, I feel like getting an offer from Birm is good and that I would be a bit silly turning it down, but then again, Sheff is good too.

I thought the course structure at both is good, and that the options in year 4 are diverse at both too, so I really don't know.

As for sport, I like to play golf and I want to maybe get back into hockey as well at some point but the calibre of the team isnt tooooo important to me, just to play golf at a decent standard would be good. Did you go to QEGS too?
Reply 4
I very nearly firmed Sheffield for Law and Criminology.
It is in a very nice location, with plenty to do nearby.
I would really reccommend it. The only reason i didn't firm it in the end, was because i wanted a campus uni rather than a city one.
Reply 5
Original post by 3309will
So the degree classification is more important than the uni?

And to be honest at first I preferred Sheffield, however Birmingham has grown on me. Also, I feel like getting an offer from Birm is good and that I would be a bit silly turning it down, but then again, Sheff is good too.

I thought the course structure at both is good, and that the options in year 4 are diverse at both too, so I really don't know.

As for sport, I like to play golf and I want to maybe get back into hockey as well at some point but the calibre of the team isnt tooooo important to me, just to play golf at a decent standard would be good. Did you go to QEGS too?

Degree classification definitely more important (unless we're talking high 2:1 from Oxford vs just a First from Wakey College, now a degree awarding institution!) but for similar RG, redbrick unis it's in the grades. If I were grad recruitment and had two identical applicants (same A levels, module scores, ECs, work experience and interview performance) I'd probably take the Birmingham graduate, but obviously that never, ever happens and is just my opinion.

Birmingham is a sportier uni so you could probably get involved in hockey at intramural level (halls teams, law soc team etc.) and still have a decent standard, if you don't want too much commitment, and their Uni firsts will be a very high standard. But they'll have 4th teams and so on as well, if you fancy the uni stash.

They offer a golf management degree at Brum so guess their golf team will exist whereas I don't know if Sheff would have one, check their SU website and it'll have a list of sports and societies.

No, I went to Greenhead and Ketty.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by roh
Degree classification definitely more important (unless we're talking high 2:1 from Oxford vs just a First from Wakey College, now a degree awarding institution!) but for similar RG, redbrick unis it's in the grades. If I were grad recruitment and had two identical applicants (same A levels, module scores, ECs, work experience and interview performance) I'd probably take the Birmingham graduate, but obviously that never, ever happens and is just my opinion.

Birmingham is a sportier uni so you could probably get involved in hockey at intramural level (halls teams, law soc team etc.) and still have a decent standard, if you don't want too much commitment, and their Uni firsts will be a very high standard. But they'll have 4th teams and so on as well, if you fancy the uni stash.

They offer a golf management degree at Brum so guess their golf team will exist whereas I don't know if Sheff would have one, check their SU website and it'll have a list of sports and societies.

No, I went to Greenhead and Ketty.

They both offer the sports teams that I want, so I guess it's just a case of choosing the right one. The only thing putting me off Birmingham is the fact that it is much further away (I would prefer to be closer to home) and the city. I guess a 2:1 or 1st from either would be good and would be desirable for any employer.

Oh cool, I really wish I had applied to Greenhead
Reply 7
They both offer the sports teams that I want, so I guess it's just a case of choosing the right one. The only thing putting me off Birmingham is the fact that it is much further away (I would prefer to be closer to home) and the city. I guess a 2:1 or 1st from either would be good and would be desirable for any employer.

Oh cool, I really wish I had applied to Greenhead

Being close to home is as much about cost as a student (you're only in uni 14 hrs a week so time's not an issue, unless it's 12 hrs or something ridiculous) so look at the cost of a return from each of them (Birmingham's pretty cheap on the coach I remember and about 30 quid by train). If you feel you'd be happier at Brum then that will probably mean you're less inclined to come home regularly so could be worth considering that and that come third year you'll be going a long way from home (I'm in Strasbourg on the German border right now incidentally) and do you think being a bit further away might be good preparation for that or that you'd actually prefer to be close to home so you could gradually build up to seeing less of your family? Have you visited both?

It is a pretty amazing college it has to be said :tongue:
Reply 8
In essence it is up to you. I go Sheffield and absolutely love it! I've secured a TC at a MC firm, so as long as you work hard there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same. Saying that, I am sure there are plenty of people from Birmingham who have done the same and if you asked they would say they loved their time there.

One of my friends did go to Birmingham for a year and then he dropped out because he just didn't like it. Despite living in Birmingham before, he didn't like the location of where he was or just the vibe and culture of the place (obviously he thought he did from the open day though). He then moved to Sheffield and couldn't happier.

Personally I would say Sheffield, however, neither will really put you at an advantage of disadvantage compared to the other so it is very much where you think you will be happier.
Reply 9
Original post by roh
Being close to home is as much about cost as a student (you're only in uni 14 hrs a week so time's not an issue, unless it's 12 hrs or something ridiculous) so look at the cost of a return from each of them (Birmingham's pretty cheap on the coach I remember and about 30 quid by train). If you feel you'd be happier at Brum then that will probably mean you're less inclined to come home regularly so could be worth considering that and that come third year you'll be going a long way from home (I'm in Strasbourg on the German border right now incidentally) and do you think being a bit further away might be good preparation for that or that you'd actually prefer to be close to home so you could gradually build up to seeing less of your family? Have you visited both?

It is a pretty amazing college it has to be said :tongue:

Yeeeah I have visited both twice now actually lol. It's just made the decision even more difficult tbh. It's difficult and the more I think the harder it gets :/

Oh, are you? What course are you studying?
Reply 10
Original post by Spyro91
In essence it is up to you. I go Sheffield and absolutely love it! I've secured a TC at a MC firm, so as long as you work hard there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same. Saying that, I am sure there are plenty of people from Birmingham who have done the same and if you asked they would say they loved their time there.

One of my friends did go to Birmingham for a year and then he dropped out because he just didn't like it. Despite living in Birmingham before, he didn't like the location of where he was or just the vibe and culture of the place (obviously he thought he did from the open day though). He then moved to Sheffield and couldn't happier.

Personally I would say Sheffield, however, neither will really put you at an advantage of disadvantage compared to the other so it is very much where you think you will be happier.

Wow, that is brilliant. Well done! Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

That is good to know, I didn't want to be disadvantaged and I know that Shefield has ties with Slaughter & May too
Reply 11
Yeeeah I have visited both twice now actually lol. It's just made the decision even more difficult tbh. It's difficult and the more I think the harder it gets :/

Oh, are you? What course are you studying?

Haha OK, errm just instinct I pose then. When I did it I just put both unis into the firm option on UCAS (looks more real then) and judged what I felt most disappointed about the thought of rejecting.

Diplome d'etudes juridiques as part of Law with French.
Reply 12
In terms of prestige those two really can't be seperated, so the choice should really be down to personal preferences like location, course content etc.

Personally i'd choose Sheffield - I haven't read one bad review of the place seriously.
Reply 13
Original post by roh
Haha OK, errm just instinct I pose then. When I did it I just put both unis into the firm option on UCAS (looks more real then) and judged what I felt most disappointed about the thought of rejecting.

Diplome d'etudes juridiques as part of Law with French.

That's a good idea. I might just do that. Where did you turn down?

Ah cool, are you enjoying the course?
Reply 14
That's a good idea. I might just do that. Where did you turn down?

Ah cool, are you enjoying the course?

Seeing it for real and knowing if you click a button you'll go there brings the regrets you think you may have into sharp relief.

I turned down Warwick for Leicester (preferred the place and preferred how the course is taught) and yeah I really like the course.
Sheffield. Outside of Oxbridge I ASSURE you a 2:1 from any redbrick or Russell Group uni is not looked upon any less favorably than any other redbrick/Russell Group.
Take it from someone who is at the end of their degree and going through the graduate job process and have friends who have done the same and are doing the same.

Sheffield has been amazing. Best 4 years of my life.

Also I turned down Warwick for Sheffield!
Original post by lulu_dudette
Sheffield. Outside of Oxbridge I ASSURE you a 2:1 from any redbrick or Russell Group uni is not looked upon any less favorably than any other redbrick/Russell Group.
Take it from someone who is at the end of their degree and going through the graduate job process and have friends who have done the same and are doing the same.

Sheffield has been amazing. Best 4 years of my life.

Also I turned down Warwick for Sheffield!

Why do people always feel the need to say that they've turned a 'supposedly more prestigious' university? when its not even relevant to the matter at hand. Its not really aimed at you, but I've noticed it LOADS on TSR, almost like its a chip on their shoulder.

2:1 from LSE or 2:1 from Hull...I'm not so sure..
Original post by Tsunami2011
Why do people always feel the need to say that they've turned a 'supposedly more prestigious' university? when its not even relevant to the matter at hand. Its not really aimed at you, but I've noticed it LOADS on TSR, almost like its a chip on their shoulder.

2:1 from LSE or 2:1 from Hull...I'm not so sure..

I think the point the poster made was that when deciding between Redbrick/any Russell Group university (bar Oxbridge), prestige is almost irrelevant. Since Warwick and Sheffield are both RG universities, your choice should be made solely on which one, in your heart, you prefer.

LSE v. Hull doesn't offer a credible comparison here since Hull is not in the RG.
Original post by admbeatmaker
I think the point the poster made was that when deciding between Redbrick/any Russell Group university (bar Oxbridge), prestige is almost irrelevant. Since Warwick and Sheffield are both RG universities, your choice should be made solely on which one, in your heart, you prefer.

LSE v. Hull doesn't offer a credible comparison here since Hull is not in the RG.

Hull is a redbrick AFAIK..

My point is that Warwick wasnt even mentioned in this thread, just seems like people feel the need to say 'I could have got into a better university if I wanted to, but I chose not to'.
Both are good unis, so you won't be at a disadvantage in terms of picking one uni over the other reputation-wise. So, that leaves you to pick one based on the overall feel for the place, course content and essentially where you think you'll feel happier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending