The Student Room Group

Feeling ill after travel vaccinations

On Monday of this week I had my first round of travel vaccinations for when I go to South Africa next month. I got Hep A & B and tetanus.

I felt fine all the way until Thursday, when I was just in tescos and I started to feel dizzy, sick and faint. I knew it was probably just my body starting to fight and create antibodies so I went home, rested and slept a lot.

It's now the third day of feeling ill and I can't stand it. I feel like I have a constant rush of blood to my head whenever I stand up for too long, I go through phases of feeling like I'm going to throw up but never do... I can't DO anything apart from lie in bed, and it's really getting me down.

I want to know how long this is going to go on for as it's getting me really frustrated. I feel great when I'm laid down, which means I get annoyed cos I want to get up and do stuff but as soon as I do I start to feel sick and out of breath.

Has anyone who's had these vaccinations ever felt like this? And if so, how long did it take to go away? I'm going back for some boosters on tuesday and I'm going to mention it to the nurse but I just want this feeling to go away!
Reply 1
I had some vacinations about two weeks ago on a Tuesday. Thyphoid and Twinrx (Hep A & B) Ruined the rest of my week...

I didn't have symptoms as bad as you seem to, I had an all over ache for three days, I felt lethargic and everything was too much effort. The Thyphoid one gave me diarrhoea :redface:

It was another week till I felt 'Normal'

So I would just rest and If your symptoms don't improve definatly go to the GP

And have a lovely trip :smile:

Original post by xoxjubixox
X
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lambo_93
I had some vacinations about two weeks ago on a Tuesday. Thyphoid and Twinrx (Hep A & B) Ruined the rest of my week...

I didn't have symptoms as bad as you seem to, I had an all over ache for three days, I felt lethargic and everything was too much effort. The Thyphoid one gave me diarrhoea :redface:

It was another week till I felt 'Normal'

So I would just rest and If your symptoms don't improve definatly go to the GP

And have a lovely trip :smile:

Ahhh thanks. Makes me feel a lot better that it's not only me! Starting to feel a little better today although not totally but I guess I'm on the mend. Although I'm going in for boosters on Tuesday so I'm guessing that will ... not help :P Looks like I'll be ill for the entire time until I go! Haha! Where are you off to?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3
You inject poison into your blood, and then you wonder why you're ill?
how stupid can you get...
Reply 4
Original post by almasy
You inject poison into your blood, and then you wonder why you're ill?
how stupid can you get...

I'm not wondering WHY I'm ill, if you read my post properly you'd see that. I'm just asking if anyone else has been through the same thing and how long it took to get better. Try reading properly.
Reply 5
Original post by xoxjubixox
Ahhh thanks. Makes me feel a lot better that it's not only me! Starting to feel a little better today although not totally but I guess I'm on the mend. Although I'm going in for boosters on Tuesday so I'm guessing that will ... not help :P Looks like I'll be ill for the entire time until I go! Haha! Where are you off to?

Thanks! :smile:

Ah good :smile:

I'm going to Fiji for a month to do aid work with the red cross :smile:

What are you going to be doing in SA?
Reply 6
Original post by Lambo_93
Ah good :smile:

I'm going to Fiji for a month to do aid work with the red cross :smile:

What are you going to be doing in SA?

Oh wow, that sounds amazing! :smile: I'm off to volunteer with sick/injured and orphaned wildlife. It's like a rehab centre that the animals stay at until they're well enough to be released again. It'll be a challenge but I'm really looking forward to it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest