The Student Room Group

Poetry

I'm a but unsure as to how to analyse the structure of a poem, not sure if it is the way which the poet writes the poem, ie lines and stanzas-but doesn't that fall under the catergory of form or am i just confused? Or is it how the poem progresses and what messages are given, and how it is layed out ie, what happened during the middle and end? I have an assessment on this so any help would be very appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Doratheexplorer
I'm a but unsure as to how to analyse the structure of a poem, not sure if it is the way which the poet writes the poem, ie lines and stanzas-but doesn't that fall under the catergory of form or am i just confused? Or is it how the poem progresses and what messages are given, and how it is layed out ie, what happened during the middle and end? I have an assessment on this so any help would be very appreciated

I usually have a smallish paragraph at the start giving the real meaning of the poem, e.g don't recite what happened in the poem explain the message/deeper meaning within the poem.
Then I tart analyzing go through the poem mostly in chronological order and talk about caesura, onomatopoeia, personification etc as well as the form, structure, rhyme scheme and anything else. Use relevant quotes and make sure you explain why the poet uses them and what effect it has within the poem don't just identify them.
Original post by Doratheexplorer

When it comes to the structure of the poem, you think about whether the poem is a: free verse, ballad sonnet etc. and you explain the significance of it. You're right, it's how the poet right the poem and what mood/effect it gives the reader. Message is different from structure. Message is the meaning of the poem as a whole, and to identify the message, you'll need to read between the lines. To make your life easier, highlight all the poetic devices the poet has used (e.g. onomatopea, alliteration, sibilance etc...), and explain the significance. How does it affect the reader? That's the main question you should have when you analyse the poem. Just to ask, what exam board are you doing and what anthology? Im doing AQA English Literature and the Anthology is 'Moon On the Tides'. The cluster is relationships, and if your doing the same, then feel free to PM me and I'll give you my notes on how to analyse poems!

Good Luck with your assessment xx
Original post by justanotherindigo
When it comes to the structure of the poem, you think about whether the poem is a: free verse, ballad sonnet etc. and you explain the significance of it. You're right, it's how the poet right the poem and what mood/effect it gives the reader. Message is different from structure. Message is the meaning of the poem as a whole, and to identify the message, you'll need to read between the lines. To make your life easier, highlight all the poetic devices the poet has used (e.g. onomatopea, alliteration, sibilance etc...), and explain the significance. How does it affect the reader? That's the main question you should have when you analyse the poem. Just to ask, what exam board are you doing and what anthology? Im doing AQA English Literature and the Anthology is 'Moon On the Tides'. The cluster is relationships, and if your doing the same, then feel free to PM me and I'll give you my notes on how to analyse poems!

Good Luck with your assessment xx

heyy im doing the relationship cluster and iwould love to know how to anlyse the poems could you please send me your notes?
thanks so muchhh:wink:
Does anyone know how to efficiently revise for poems?
I'm a bit stuck:/
Muhammed ali said the shortest poem:

"Me, We."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending