The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by Selecao
I thought you were a full on plank, never mind having one on your bonce. :tongue:

Zip it thee :P it has a topic wt covers the heart so ill be visiting you my dear :P
Reply 1601
No problem. You can nip into the wetlabs and see them close up! :biggrin:
Reply 1602
Original post by Mel27x
The woman who helped us with our PS is crazy haha! sounds so harsh but she is, she was taking everything out of my PS to do with radiography n said to mention college n what topics i like the most n said to say how working for 4 years has given me skills but she never said to apply it to the role of a radiographer she not jst made my PS crap, about 5 people in my class have all been declined due to PS :frown: i feel like weve all had a crap insight to what unis prefer within a PS, ive already made a new one for next year, it will need tweeking but already I can see how i didnt get in this year cos the new one is all radiography based and applying wt skills i have now to tht of a radiographer, i also mention alot more about my work experience whereas before she just said to say what u had dun n the departments i had seen.

I have been off work 7m due to an operation I had to have and the consultant was stirct and did not want me to work untill 3 months had past after the op.

Have you firmed your unis now? which ones have u picked and are u a mature student? Im 21 and im not sure if im boarderline mature student or what! haha x

i am most definitely a mature student lol, no borderline in my case unfortunately.

tbh, i think your college were pointing you in the right direction with regards to PS. so saying what subjects you enjoy most and what you saw on work experience is what Unis want. But you still have to turn it around so its all about you. So i said why i chose the college i go to, rather than other ones within my area, ie it offered anatomy.

B
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1603
Original post by janesies
hey kids has anyone heard from Salford yet i think a couple of you had interviews last month???? ive got an offer I wanna meet me potential classmates :biggrin: xxxxx

I got a conditional offer from them this week Yay! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 1604
has anyone got a offer from Suffolk? ive applied for them through extra, trying my luck really to see if owt happens, doesnt seem to be a very popular university it seems to have only been open a few years. x
Reply 1605
Yayyy I got my first choice accommodation at BCU :biggrin:
Reply 1606
Original post by lara_uk
That's really interesting, Thankyou.
Do you really think it helps for getting into uni? X

Absolutely. For me it was vital as I had to demonstrate recent academic endeavour and I've had admissions tutors recommend it to me an it his the highest level u can do without actually going to uni (which from 2nd year onwards counts as level 5, 6 etc). For radiography especially it's perfect coz u do a lot of th same stuff but it can help with other health care careers such as nursing where good functional knowledge of the body is required/beneficial.
It's an easy course, trust me!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1607
Original post by MiteshG
Absolutely. For me it was vital as I had to demonstrate recent academic endeavour and I've had admissions tutors recommend it to me an it his the highest level u can do without actually going to uni (which from 2nd year onwards counts as level 5, 6 etc). For radiography especially it's perfect coz u do a lot of th same stuff but it can help with other health care careers such as nursing where good functional knowledge of the body is required/beneficial.
It's an easy course, trust me!

You have been most helpful, Thankyou.

I feel more secure now, as I know what to do should I not get in x
Original post by ecokid
Nope. Once you've firmed an offer you're technically legally obliged to take up that place if you've achieved their entry requirement. You wouldn't be able to reject that place and take up your insurance offer instead, as the University would not relinquish your offer, which is required for you to accept your insurance offer. The reason being is that the place you've requested could have been filled by another able candidate; however, at such a late stage in the cycle, the university would have to enter clearing and would not necessarily get the calibre of applicant that they were looking for originally, which isn't really fair for them. There's also the risk that your place remains unfilled after clearing and they lose the funding for the place, which is something they'd like to avoid -this tends to be the reason for less oversubscribed courses, unlike Radiography.

ohhhhhhhhhh. well, im that case im going to have to swap them around and make city my firm and liverpool insurance.
or do it the long way and re apply next year. and if i get the grades, apply to other unis .......
So, i dont really want to spam this thread with other topics not about D.R but, once people have firmed, has anyone recieved the AS9 letter from UCAS confirming your decisions? because i havent and i might change my mind on what uni i firmed...
and on the website it says:

''You can change your replies once within seven days of the date on your status check letter (AS9) - this is sent to you shortly after you make your replies. To make the change or to discuss other possible options for changing if you're outside the seven day period, you'll need to contact our Customer Service Unit.''

So, i have not got that AS9 letter. so im assuming i wait for that in the post? (btw i made my choices on sunday 1st April)
Reply 1610
Original post by hello123450

So, i have not got that AS9 letter. so im assuming i wait for that in the post? (btw i made my choices on sunday 1st April)

If you've changed your mind, you should ring UCAS first thing on Tuesday and explain as there's a chance the letter has been delayed or lost and the time limit is usually around a week, whether you receive the letter or not.

Make sure you're 100% sure as UCAS will have to contact your firm and insurance and let them know the changes. You're cutting it close, but you should have some leeway what with Easter and all. Like i said, you need to be 100% sure as it doesn't particularly look that professional changing at the last minute and if you're changing your firm to your insurance, and you do not do so well in your exams and narrowly miss out on the grades required by the insurance choice, then it's likely that they may not give you the leeway some do come exam time.

Ultimately though, you need to make the decision that's right for you. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ickleme
I got a conditional offer from them this week Yay! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

YAY is Salford going to be your firm? are you from Manchester? I am :smile: Whats your offer for ALevels/access/degree? im on an access at the moment Its all very exciting :smile: xxx
Reply 1612
Original post by janesies
YAY is Salford going to be your firm? are you from Manchester? I am :smile: Whats your offer for ALevels/access/degree? im on an access at the moment Its all very exciting :smile: xxx

I'm on an Access too at Manchester College, I've already firmed Salford, I think it was my only choice really, I applied for Liverpool too but I really wanted this one, I live in Manchester and have a little family here so moving wasn't an option and commuting would have been such a ball ache :-)
I can't wait! Totally happy!!!!!!!:biggrin:
Reply 1613
Original post by SarahJayne2103
Still waiting to hear from the NHS about applying for the bursary and Teesside about references etc, getting restless waiting though now! You not heard anything either?

Am still waiting as well.... Gets tiring inni
Original post by ickleme
I'm on an Access too at Manchester College, I've already firmed Salford, I think it was my only choice really, I applied for Liverpool too but I really wanted this one, I live in Manchester and have a little family here so moving wasn't an option and commuting would have been such a ball ache :-)
I can't wait! Totally happy!!!!!!!:biggrin:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we gunna be classmates :smile: I have PMd u so u can find me on facebook if you have it xxx
Original post by FXX
Never assume personal habits align with professional standards :tongue:
lmao....you just called to mind my old department's staff room. I'm pretty sure the head of infection control would've had a stroke had she been in there during her inspections.
Original post by ecokid
If you've changed your mind, you should ring UCAS first thing on Tuesday and explain as there's a chance the letter has been delayed or lost and the time limit is usually around a week, whether you receive the letter or not.

Make sure you're 100% sure as UCAS will have to contact your firm and insurance and let them know the changes. You're cutting it close, but you should have some leeway what with Easter and all. Like i said, you need to be 100% sure as it doesn't particularly look that professional changing at the last minute and if you're changing your firm to your insurance, and you do not do so well in your exams and narrowly miss out on the grades required by the insurance choice, then it's likely that they may not give you the leeway some do come exam time.

Ultimately though, you need to make the decision that's right for you. :smile:

ohhh thankyou for answering, you've been verrrry helpfull! :smile:

okay, i have one more Q lol. previously you said im legally obliged to take up the uni place if i got the grades and not get my insurance place. BUTTT what if i ended up getting better that i expect, would it be possible for me to decline both firm and insurance and not go to uni at all and then re apply for 2013 entry? or would i HAVE to take up my firm offer?.
sorry about the million questions, but cant seem to find any information anywhere. :smile:
Original post by hello123450
ohhh thankyou for answering, you've been verrrry helpfull! :smile:

okay, i have one more Q lol. previously you said im legally obliged to take up the uni place if i got the grades and not get my insurance place. BUTTT what if i ended up getting better that i expect, would it be possible for me to decline both firm and insurance and not go to uni at all and then re apply for 2013 entry? or would i HAVE to take up my firm offer?.
sorry about the million questions, but cant seem to find any information anywhere. :smile:

If you get better than expected you can go through Adjustment.
Each year some applicants pass their exams with better results than expected. And this may mean that some will have not only met the conditions of their firm choice, but will have exceeded them. We have introduced Adjustment for these applicants - it provides an opportunity for them to reconsider where and what to study.

If you want to use Adjustment, you will need to register in Track. The option to register will be displayed for all applicants whose place has been confirmed (status has changed from conditional firm (CF) to unconditional firm (UF)). However, you are only eligible if you have met and exceeded your original CF offer conditions. It will be up to the universities and colleges to verify this.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/nextsteps/adjustment/
Reply 1618
Original post by zoe1992
Hiya, well City South has 3 halls Calthorpe £80 per week and Westmount and Oakmount both £95 per week. On the online application form you can't choose though you just put City South as the accommodation, although I realise in the additional info section I could have asked specifically for Westmount. I think Opal 1 is £113 per week so it's £18 - £35 more per week depending on how you look at it. I'm not as apprehensive about not living on suite now though as surely most students at City South are health students so are more likely to be hygenic/tidy?

Yes your right. Im just waiting for my response from Salford then I will apply for accommodation. £113 is quite expensive isn't it. £80 is much cheaper.
Reply 1619
Original post by ickleme

How long did Salford take to give you a decision? I had my interview last Wednesday. I really liked it there.

Latest