The Student Room Group

International application -

Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of applying to one of the Oxbridge university, and there is undoubtedly a great deal of students thinking about it. (it's attractive because everybodody wants to get in !). :rolleyes:
Actually, I'm looking for someone who received an offer from one of these universities. Ay there's the rub ! :confused: Do you know any french guy who got into Oxford or Cambridge ?
I just want to know what is his background at school, and a few details about his/her application.
Thank you for helping, any other person who actually applied from a EU country is also welcome ! :smile:

(I saw the list of actual student at Oxford and I'm really looking forward to hear from them)
Original post by Nostradamus
Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of applying to one of the Oxbridge university, and there is undoubtedly a great deal of students thinking about it. (it's attractive because everybodody wants to get in !). :rolleyes:
Actually, I'm looking for someone who received an offer from one of these universities. Ay there's the rub ! :confused: Do you know any french guy who got into Oxford or Cambridge ?
I just want to know what is his background at school, and a few details about his/her application.
Thank you for helping, any other person who actually applied from a EU country is also welcome ! :smile:

(I saw the list of actual student at Oxford and I'm really looking forward to hear from them)

I'm Danish and I got an offer to read Economics and Management at Oxford this autumn. Although I'm not French I might be able to answer some of your questions?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply,
I just wondered wether it's better to make an open application, or simply to apply for the college you prefer (they are all quite the same after all, and I have no preferences)?
Did you had to translate all your school reports (I don't know what is the marking system in Danemark) ?
Are there a lot of nationalites represented in each college ?
I have obviously a lot of questions,
It is good to hear from someone else's experience !
I'm really looking forward to hear from you :smile: !
Thanks for your reply,
I just wondered wether it's better to make an open application, or simply to apply for the college you prefer (they are all quite the same after all, and I have no preferences)?
Did you had to translate all your school reports (I don't know what is the marking system in Danemark) ?
Are there a lot of nationalites represented in each college ?
I have obviously a lot of questions,
It is good to hear from someone else's experience !
I'm really looking forward to hear from you :smile: !

A lot of people try to speculate and play the numbers game when applying for colleges, but Oxford has a pooling system which should ensure that the best candidates get in regardless of their initial college choice. I, for one, got pooled from Brasenose College to Harris Manchester College. You should choose the college you prefer. Try to figure out some things you want (e.g. accommodation for all three years, large/small student population, lots/few studying your subject, large college endowment, etc, etc.).

I did not translate my school reports. I simply submitted my grades and they assess them (probably using earlier applicants as benchmark or translating using a table).

The level of 'internationalness' varies from college to college. Oxbridge has no where near as many internationals as LSE for example but some college do have a fair amount. I think Harris Manchester (where I am going) has the largest share of internationals compared to other Oxford colleges.

Hope that helps :smile:. Ask more questions if you have any.
Reply 4
Isn't it Harris Manchester only for mature student ?
Your very complete answer helps a lot :wink: and I'm very tempted to ask for more !
(I'm interested in the Physics & Philosophy Course which seems to be really demanding, but extremely interesting ! )
Just by sheer curiosity, what is the typical 'timetable' of an undergraduate at University ? And in order to get rid of all prejudices about Oxbridge : are all students "nerds" or "sons of rich families with a lot of acquaintances" ? :rolleyes:
I'm also reading about the numerous colleges of oxbridge, and there is always the same question : Oxford or Cambridge ? Courses are differents and it is a matter of personnal preference I guess.
Isn't it Harris Manchester only for mature student ?
Your very complete answer helps a lot :wink: and I'm very tempted to ask for more !
(I'm interested in the Physics & Philosophy Course which seems to be really demanding, but extremely interesting ! )
Just by sheer curiosity, what is the typical 'timetable' of an undergraduate at University ? And in order to get rid of all prejudices about Oxbridge : are all students "nerds" or "sons of rich families with a lot of acquaintances" ? :rolleyes:
I'm also reading about the numerous colleges of oxbridge, and there is always the same question : Oxford or Cambridge ? Courses are differents and it is a matter of personnal preference I guess.

Yes, in order to be admitted to Harris Manchester you have to be 21 years old upon matriculation (when you become an official member of the university).

To be honest, I might not be the right person to answer the rest of your questions :/. I am not yet a student at Oxford (I will start this autumn) and thus I would have a hard time answering those questions. I am sure someone else can help you with those, though, and if you look around in the different threads you will be able to go a long way in getting an insight into student life at the respectable institutions :smile:
Reply 6
I thought that you were already studying there ^^
Anyway, thanks for your help :smile: and enjoy your time at Oxford :wink:
Reply 7
I take it you've read the International Students pages on the Oxford/Cambridge websites?

You won't need to translate your grades

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/2011_site/international_students/international_qualifications/index.html#aeuropean_union

I think there's a Physics and Philosophy thread somewhere in Oxford forum, so might be worth posting there to hear more about the course.
Reply 8
I read about it, I was more wondering about commentaries made by teachers.
Anyway, I'll have a look at it and I'll find the right thread in the forum :smile:
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending