The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by yzarcemina
haha its a very prominent organisation in my country :smile: so yes its local :smile:

i'm pretty sure they don't fund international students if that's what you're wondering, you have to be a citizen from here hee :biggrin:

i know i'm lucky, and i'm very grateful

Nah!!! was not really looking at it from that angle... was just curious to know what organisation pays up so much for it students!!!:biggrin:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 181
i'm hailing from malaysia :smile:

oh great now you're making me nervous about my facts :s-smilie: lol

:/ I messaged asking u the same thing.... u did not reply!!! :unimpressed: :ashamed2::dry:
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Yeah seems strange why they only allow one prefference. The other unis I've applied for let me have up to 3. :dontknow:

That's odd, when I applied for halls a couple of years ago they let you choose a main choice and a back-up :s-smilie:
also, is there wi-fi surround campus? is it really slow?

Yeah there's free wi-fi across campus, you'll be given directions on how to set it up when you arrive in fresher's week :smile:

It's really fast in the mornings and early afternoon, then slows down a bit in the evening (though you can still play 720p youtube videos, play games online, etc without any problem).

The only time it's noticeably slow is during the revision weeks, because then you've got a lot of 2nd, 3rd, 4th years spending all day on campus in the library, slowing the internet down.

Saturday mornings, the internet is atomically fast, downloaded a 20GB computer game in 45 mins :colone:

edit: btw guys, if any of you have general uni / accommodation questions then feel free to quote-ask me, and I'll do my best to answer them :biggrin:
Reply 184
Original post by Architecture-er
Yeah there's free wi-fi across campus, you'll be given directions on how to set it up when you arrive in fresher's week :smile:

It's really fast in the mornings and early afternoon, then slows down a bit in the evening (though you can still play 720p youtube videos, play games online, etc without any problem).

The only time it's noticeably slow is during the revision weeks, because then you've got a lot of 2nd, 3rd, 4th years spending all day on campus in the library, slowing the internet down.

Saturday mornings, the internet is atomically fast, downloaded a 20GB computer game in 45 mins :colone:

edit: btw guys, if any of you have general uni / accommodation questions then feel free to quote-ask me, and I'll do my best to answer them :biggrin:

:dance: YAY!!!! FAST wifi!!! :dance:

Thankz for clarifying that!!! :biggrin:

BTW one quick question.... I read the terms and policy for the internet usage at Bath and it was written that .... If a paticular student tries to hog up alot of speed by downloading through p2p softwares eg Utorrent, Azerusetc .... the internet system willl automatically lower their speed down :zomg:!!! It said something about keeping a balance of speed between all the students so one person eating :yum: all the bandwith is not good!!:yikes:

Now since u mentioned that u downloaded a 20gb game.... is this term true or are they just trying to scare us???:unsure::whip2:

Sorry that was not really quick :vroam: question!! :tongue:
Original post by Nikstar95
:dance: YAY!!!! FAST wifi!!! :dance:

Thankz for clarifying that!!! :biggrin:

BTW one quick question.... I read the terms and policy for the internet usage at Bath and it was written that .... If a paticular student tries to hog up alot of speed by downloading through p2p softwares eg Utorrent, Azerusetc .... the internet system willl automatically lower their speed down :zomg:!!! It said something about keeping a balance of speed between all the students so one person eating :yum: all the bandwith is not good!!:yikes:

Now since u mentioned that u downloaded a 20gb game.... is this term true or are they just trying to scare us???:unsure::whip2:

Sorry that was not really quick :vroam: question!! :tongue:

Weelllllllllll

I could imagine that somebody that frequently uses p2p torrents and the like could incure penalties, but only if you're using it excessively. Huge standalone downloads shouldn't incure penalties, and stuff like frequent gaming and music streaming on spotify won't make a splash.
I suspect it's to deter people from setting up some sort of corporate music pirating enterprise, just stream movies instead of downloading them and generally avoid going above and beyond the call of piracy :biggrin:
Reply 186
Weelllllllllll

I could imagine that somebody that frequently uses p2p torrents and the like could incure penalties, but only if you're using it excessively. Huge standalone downloads shouldn't incure penalties, and stuff like frequent gaming and music streaming on spotify won't make a splash.
I suspect it's to deter people from setting up some sort of corporate music pirating enterprise, just stream movies instead of downloading them and generally avoid going above and beyond the call of piracy :biggrin:

ohhhh!!!! Thankz for clarifying that I was scared that I would not be able to downoad anything during my time at uni and since 20gb wont make a dent I would not even scratch the surface... I would maybe say download (max. 35gb in a month :yikes:)Although everything would be pirated :colone: :colone:!!!!!!! :ta: :ta: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 187

Which accommodation did u stay at in Bath???? If Mar/Sols... than can you please tell us how it was??? As in how is it diff. (socially) from other buildings???? :ta: :biggrin:
Which accommodation did u stay at in Bath???? If Mar/Sols... than can you please tell us how it was??? As in how is it diff. (socially) from other buildings???? :ta: :biggrin:

I stayed in Brendon Court (currently the only person to vote for it in the poll! :frown: )

I knew a load of people who lived in Sols though, it looked really nice. The bedrooms are a decent size, plenty of natural light, carpets etc.

I imagine there's a greater opportunity for being more reclusive in Sols and the like, since you're in smaller kitchens, but it sounded like everyone got together in their stairs for big parties etc.
Reply 189
I stayed in Brendon Court (currently the only person to vote for it in the poll! :frown: )

I knew a load of people who lived in Sols though, it looked really nice. The bedrooms are a decent size, plenty of natural light, carpets etc.

I imagine there's a greater opportunity for being more reclusive in Sols and the like, since you're in smaller kitchens, but it sounded like everyone got together in their stairs for big parties etc.

Ohhh thankz for the tip!!!! :haha: :rofl: u are the only who voted for Brendon!!!!

Hmmm..... although it does not sound bad (party on stairs)...I think I'll just pop by for parties at other buildings!!! :tongue:

Thankz!! :biggrin:
Ohhh thankz for the tip!!!! :haha: :rofl: u are the only who voted for Brendon!!!!

Hmmm..... although it does not sound bad (party on stairs)...I think I'll just pop by for parties at other buildings!!! :tongue:

Thankz!! :biggrin:

ahh no, by 'stairs' I mean kitchens are grouped by staircases, so you'd have stair A, B, C, D etc, and then all the floors will go to each other's kitchens and so on :biggrin:

You're not forced to literally party in the stairwells (though I suppose you could if that's your thing!)
Reply 191
ahh no, by 'stairs' I mean kitchens are grouped by staircases, so you'd have stair A, B, C, D etc, and then all the floors will go to each other's kitchens and so on :biggrin:

You're not forced to literally party in the stairwells (though I suppose you could if that's your thing!)

HAHAHA!!! :rofl: :rofl: :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: I cant stop laughing!!!!! :biggrin:

LOL!!! thats not my thing although I would love to try it !!!!! :biggrin:

So its like one big party divided into the floors of the building!!!! :rolleyes: !!!

BTW do u any BBA students???
:/ I messaged asking u the same thing.... u did not reply!!! :unimpressed: :ashamed2::dry:

opps sorry i'm not very sure how TSR works yet :smile:
normally when i have messages they pop up somewhere :smile:

do tell us what it was like staying there :smile: it was catered right? how did that go? too much credit? do they cover all meals, or just whatever meals you choose to eat? like if you weren't a lunch person but eats teas and supper everyday? (just random example)
do tell us what it was like staying there :smile: it was catered right? how did that go? too much credit? do they cover all meals, or just whatever meals you choose to eat? like if you weren't a lunch person but eats teas and supper everyday? (just random example)

errm not catered :tongue:

None of Bath's accommodation is catered, as far as I can recall? Unless it's changed since, but Brendon def. has full kitchens :biggrin:

I loved Brendon Court though, all accommodation blocks have locks on external doors, but most have locks on individual kitchens / flats / floors etc. However Brendon is fully unlocked on the inside, so everyone can hang out together and drop in on each other's rooms whenever they want, which was so awesome!
There's no carpet or lounge areas though, so you have to sit at tables in the kitchens or in your rooms, so that can get a bit inconvenient.
Having said that, I'm not sure if any accommodation blocks have lounge areas, maybe Woodland Court does, but I never went in there :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 195
errm not catered :tongue:

None of Bath's accommodation is catered, as far as I can recall? Unless it's changed since, but Brendon def. has full kitchens :biggrin:

I loved Brendon Court though, all accommodation blocks have locks on external doors, but most have locks on individual kitchens / flats / floors etc. However Brendon is fully unlocked on the inside, so everyone can hang out together and drop in on each other's rooms whenever they want, which was so awesome!
There's no carpet or lounge areas though, so you have to sit at tables in the kitchens or in your rooms, so that can get a bit inconvenient.
Having said that, I'm not sure if any accommodation blocks have lounge areas, maybe Woodland Court does, but I never went in there :colonhash:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/pg/accommodation/types/eat-drink-student-card/ <--- she means this I think!!!

OHhh!!! why is Woodland not very nice??? or did u not have frnds there???
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/pg/accommodation/types/eat-drink-student-card/ <--- she means this I think!!!

OHhh!!! why is Woodland not very nice??? or did u not have frnds there???

Woodland is the nicest accommodation you can get, but it's full of millionaire's kids who'll discharge shotguns at plebs if they get too close :tongue:

and wow, those food cards look like quite a good deal tbh, if the price isn't too much. I'd probably cook regardless though, just because I needed to learn eventually!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
Woodland is the nicest accommodation you can get, but it's full of millionaire's kids who'll discharge shotguns at plebs if they get too close :tongue:

and wow, those food cards look like quite a good deal tbh, if the price isn't too much. I'd probably cook regardless though, just because I needed to learn eventually!

Millionaire kids!! :lolwut: ..... I need to change my application!! :yikes:.... I want to go to Woodland!!! But dont they belong in Polden court!!!!! :confused:

haha i think 50 pounds a week is a bit much don't you? i mean that like 200 pounds a month! but the feeling of having everything already paid for is nice though :smile:
Reply 199

What about Marls/Sols? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest