The Student Room Group

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
This seems like a really random post and slightly off topic. But regarding the conditional offers of AAAb; i think it's really unlikely that I'm going to get those grades, but iv heard in the past keele have compromised on results day giving people their place if they've just missed out. Does anyone think they'll do it this year and to how many people??
Reply 1781
Original post by Phi11
£10k.... That sucks.

My dad has basically agreed to re-mortage the house for me as I cannot find any funding either. I will be using the maintenance loan for my housing costs and I am relying on getting a job during years 1 and 2 to cover living costs. I am already -£1300 though! :/

Is there not a Hardship fund? I know a few people at Manchester who were struggling and they were eligible for a small bursary.

Haha I have tried hinting in that direction to my parents although I'm not sure they're in a stable position to do that for me. There are bursaries available but I think they're for only a small amount and I really need to know I have the funding for the four years, dropping out part-way through would be terrible!
Original post by metachic
Ah! The open day sounds great. So sad I couldn't go as I had work.

Did you get to visit Barnes Hall at all? Is it true that the premier flats aren't available to freshers? :frown: It's so close to the medical campus too! :frown: Is Lindsay Court relatively close? lol I'm just mega lazy hahaha XD

Can't wait for September! I'll be the 22 year old grad with dark hair :biggrin:

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear!

I don't know if anyone has replied to this, but I haven't read through the rest of the posts yet haha!

I'm in my first year at Keele now!

Yeah the the premier flats aren't available to freshers unfortunately :frown: You're allowed to live on campus for second year as well when you're a medic and I got told by the people in accommodation that it'd be unlikely I'd get Barnes premier flats too because they reserve them for third years :frown:

I live in Lindsay Court at the moment, it's really nice! I'd say it takes 10-15 minutes to walk to med school, but I'm lazy too and just catch the free bus that comes every ten minutes instead haha :tongue:
Original post by BulbaSa
I've looked into the professional development loans but I think the max is 10 000 unfortunately. I know I've looked through that list too, I'll keep exploring! Thanks for your help advice :smile:...also does anyone know why Keele are stopping GEM after this year?

I know someone on the current GEM course and from the way they describe it, it seems that taking on the 3 or so graduates and trying to integrate them within second year appears to be more hassle than its worth. The students only get a couple of weeks prior to joining the second years to catch up on things like communication skills, so have to cram lots from first year on their own.

It a shame it's stopping though and seems a step backwards for keele.
Reply 1784
Original post by ladycharchar
I don't know if anyone has replied to this, but I haven't read through the rest of the posts yet haha!

I'm in my first year at Keele now!

Yeah the the premier flats aren't available to freshers unfortunately :frown: You're allowed to live on campus for second year as well when you're a medic and I got told by the people in accommodation that it'd be unlikely I'd get Barnes premier flats too because they reserve them for third years :frown:

I live in Lindsay Court at the moment, it's really nice! I'd say it takes 10-15 minutes to walk to med school, but I'm lazy too and just catch the free bus that comes every ten minutes instead haha :tongue:

thanks for replying :smile:

are the premier en-suites available to freshers? i see there's one for 33 weeks.. but that's a lot of packing and unpacking @_@

:O the bus is free! that is definitely music to my ears! it will make life a whole lot easier lol
Reply 1785
Original post by Phi11
£10k.... That sucks.

My dad has basically agreed to re-mortage the house for me as I cannot find any funding either. I will be using the maintenance loan for my housing costs and I am relying on getting a job during years 1 and 2 to cover living costs. I am already -£1300 though! :/

Is there not a Hardship fund? I know a few people at Manchester who were struggling and they were eligible for a small bursary.

I googled it and there seems to be some sort of help but it seems rather flakey..

http://www.keele.ac.uk/studentfunding/funding/accesstolearningfund/

The chance to accomplish our dreams is amazing. But the financial aspects of it are seriously daunting.. >_<
Reply 1786
Yeah looked into this...Think its more of a thing you do if you find yourself really low on money during your course. It's good that there does seem to be some help out there...but it seems like nothing now with the 9000 a year fees!! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1787
So I finally firmed Keele:smile:
I posted ages ago about being unsure, thanks for all those who replied to that sorry I never got back to you guys. I didn't reply cos I needed to take timeout from the whole uni thing and really think about where I wanted to go.
so yeah I'm really very greatful for all those have helped pre-interview and after interview honestly it has been really brilliant-thank you!
I sincerely hope everyone here gets a place to study medicine whether it's this year or another time and that everyone gets the A level or Degree results they need.

And to end off this long post where are any other 'firmers' thinking of for accomodation?
:smile:
Original post by FJH
And to end off this long post where are any other 'firmers' thinking of for accomodation?
:smile:

Congrats. See you in September :smile: But to butt in on your question, if i recall correctly you don't get a choice really when it comes to specific accommodation. You just get to put your preferred option, for example: 1) room with hand basin, 2) flat, 3) room without hand basin, 4) en-suite

At least i am sure this is how it was when i applied, things may well have changed?
Reply 1789
Original post by rumandraisin
Congrats. See you in September :smile: But to butt in on your question, if i recall correctly you don't get a choice really when it comes to specific accommodation. You just get to put your preferred option, for example: 1) room with hand basin, 2) flat, 3) room without hand basin, 4) en-suite

At least i am sure this is how it was when i applied, things may well have changed?

Ooh how exciting! Congratulations :h: Of course I did know that but just forgot, thanks for the reminder! in which case which have you all signed up for? I think I might put down for a flat :smile:
Original post by FJH
Ooh how exciting! Congratulations :h: Of course I did know that but just forgot, thanks for the reminder! in which case which have you all signed up for? I think I might put down for a flat :smile:

I'm already here. I'm a first year. PM'd you :tongue:
Anyone know if there is a fb page to join or does one need to be set up?
Reply 1792
Original post by manderson
Anyone know if there is a fb page to join or does one need to be set up?

tried looking for one.. not sure if it's just a private group or nobody has bothered yet.. lol

would you like to do the honours? :P
tried looking for one.. not sure if it's just a private group or nobody has bothered yet.. lol

Yeah that was my problem as well, tried to look for one but no luck! I wouldn't have a clue how to do it! Does anyone want to do the honours? Please :smile:
Original post by ViceVersa
:shock: OFFERRRRRR! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Me to!!!!!! Yay!!!Firmed it as soon as it come through via ucas!
congrats!!
Original post by Phi11
8 Weeks of waiting list hell and.... OFFER!!!! I'm also an oldie at 22 :smile:

i'm 35 :eek: and I got an offer Yay!!!!!!!
Original post by nikkiekemp77
Me to!!!!!! Yay!!!Firmed it as soon as it come through via ucas!
congrats!!

Well done! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

what u looking for on fb???:o:confused:
Original post by nikkiekemp77
what u looking for on fb???:o:confused:

Looking for a Keele freshers 2012 group! But there doesn't seem to be one.

Quick Reply

Latest