The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Y'crick I was in your position last year, I was still doing my dissertation! Though Im hoping this time round things will be slightly different...
Reply 401
Original post by stormstar
Y'crick I was in your position last year, I was still doing my dissertation! Though Im hoping this time round things will be slightly different...

I wish you luck. :smile:

I don't know how well I have done on this, but if I don't get, I guess it will be a learning experience if nothing else.
Reply 402
Cheers man! Hopefully you've passed. I think this year they're doing the info days AFTER the AC's, which I guess makes sense. So how long were they then, was it a 9-5 thing? Was there tons of maths involved? You can Pm me if you want!
Reply 403
Original post by stormstar
Cheers man! Hopefully you've passed. I think this year they're doing the info days AFTER the AC's, which I guess makes sense. So how long were they then, was it a 9-5 thing? Was there tons of maths involved? You can Pm me if you want!

It is just the written exam, which lasts about an hour and a half. I didn't do loads of maths, though there was some, but I didn't finish. I don't know if anyone managed to finish. There is really not much you can do for it in terms of prep and stuff; I did prep, none of which was of much use!
Original post by Y'crik
It is just the written exam, which lasts about an hour and a half. I didn't do loads of maths, though there was some, but I didn't finish. I don't know if anyone managed to finish. There is really not much you can do for it in terms of prep and stuff; I did prep, none of which was of much use!

I doubt many people finished, and there wasn't really much maths I agree (if any to be honest). I don't think you could really finish it in the time given either. It was very difficult.

Also I suspect that each written task will be different in terms of the topic for each assessment centre.
Reply 405
Original post by HighestKungFu
I doubt many people finished, and there wasn't really much maths I agree (if any to be honest). I don't think you could really finish it in the time given either. It was very difficult.

Also I suspect that each written task will be different in terms of the topic for each assessment centre.

I think you are right. I mean, just reading through it all and things takes a suprising amount of time. It was indeed difficult. I wonder when we will hear back about it?

I think so, just in case someone talks about the task in too much detail. It couldn't cost much to write up and print another paper, surely?
Original post by rainbow drops
Same - are you morning or afternoon? I was given the morning slot, so I have to get a really early train :sad: ah well, at least the AC location is right opposite Oxford Road station.

Morning for me too. Was planning on prepping tomorrow but after reading some posts on here seems like a waste of time really. Hey ho!
This is filling me with dread :rofl:

I gather from what you guys have said that reading up on the structure of local government won't help...? (don't worry if you don't want to answer)
Reply 408
This is filling me with dread :rofl:

I gather from what you guys have said that reading up on the structure of local government won't help...? (don't worry if you don't want to answer)

I did some reading on LG, but it was not really any help to me. I mean, don't feel that preparing won't help, because it may do for you. But for me, nothing I read about came up. I'm sure you will all do fine though. :biggrin:
This is filling me with dread

SAME!!
Reply 410
I had to endure a whole day of exercises last time!!
Reply 411
Also, they said we'd only get the results of who's gotten through to the second AC after a month :redface:
Hi everyone!

I've been watching this thread since applying so thanks for all your comments and musings!

I'm going to the assessment centre in Coventry on Friday morning eek. I'm going to wear a suit because, even if it is just a test, there will be people from the LGA there and I want to make a good impression (I also like wearing suits!). Also, after hearing that the NGDP tweeted someone to recommend a suit, it would be silly to not go in formalwear!

I'm not really going to prepare for it... after all, they said in the email that no preparation is necessary and I doubt they will be trying to trick us?!

Anyway... good luck everyone! :smile:
Just to add my thoughts for anyone who's worried about what to wear - I actually phoned and spoke to someone as the email seemed so vague. Chap on the phone was nice enough though a little confusing, he said to wear a suit as it is a formal assessment centre, but then it doesn't matter as no-one will be judging you on what you're wearing, but then finished the conversation with 'dress formally'.

So I'll be erring on the side of caution (as I have with all ACs so far!) and wearing a full skirt suit, black, with jacket, plain cream top, hair up, the works. I've never felt out of place, and indeed have mostly thanked my lucky stars I haven't turned up in chinos (boys) or skinny trousers, socks and strappy heels (one girl, seriously) to find everyone else dressed in dark suits. I couldn't imagine anything more off-putting than wishing the ground would swallow me up and feeling out of place all day!

Anyone going to Coventry for the afternoon session on Friday 13th?
Ooooh also I have a question. They allow up to £50 towards transport costs, and due to the fact my car died a death two days ago I'm going to have to get the train. Google maps informs me that the hotel in Coventry is at least a 50 minute walk away. There's no way my train tickets are going to come to anything approaching £50, do you reckon if I got a receipt from the taxi driver they'd refund that too?

A big part of me (I walk EVERYWHERE) feels like I'm being lazy and a taxi is a massive luxury so I shouldn't expect them to refund it, but also I don't fancy almost an hour-long walk before the big event!
Reply 415
Does anyone know how many more stages there are after the written exam?

Thanks
Rachel
Reply 416
Original post by Rach_123
Does anyone know how many more stages there are after the written exam?

Thanks
Rachel

I believe there is a whole assessment centre day, followed by authority interviews, though you can still fail following this final interview.
Reply 417
is anyone doing the afternoon session in coventry want to share a taxi from the train station?
Original post by ajs12345
I believe there is a whole assessment centre day, followed by authority interviews, though you can still fail following this final interview.

Where did you get this info, or is it just assumed from last year's recruitment process? I'm really confused, because I thought that there would be a whole assessment centre day for those who pass the first AC test, but the website seems to suggest otherwise because it only mentions one AC:

"We will have contacted all applicants regarding the first stage of the ngdp by friday 9th March 2012
If your application is successful you will be invited to an assessment centre in April 2012.
There will then be a round of interviews in May / June 2012 to decide the final intake."

I really wish there was a little more, er, clarity and organisation to this whole thing :s-smilie:
Reply 419
Where did you get this info, or is it just assumed from last year's recruitment process? I'm really confused, because I thought that there would be a whole assessment centre day for those who pass the first AC test, but the website seems to suggest otherwise because it only mentions one AC:

"We will have contacted all applicants regarding the first stage of the ngdp by friday 9th March 2012
If your application is successful you will be invited to an assessment centre in April 2012.
There will then be a round of interviews in May / June 2012 to decide the final intake."

I really wish there was a little more, er, clarity and organisation to this whole thing :s-smilie:

It's more an assumption. There are two AC stages (with stage one being done at the moment), and almost definitely the final interview with the selected authority.

This just seems the logical way forward based on previous years and the info this year...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending