The Student Room Group

I think Jessie J has a better singing voice than Adele.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retrodiction
Punctuation, please. Reading your responses is like reading a 6 year old write a story.

Jessie can definitely sing higher than Misha did in that performance; I've already told you to post a video of Misha belting an A5 if you want to demonstrate that she is up to Jessie's standard.

Anyway. Making up stuff about technical quirks? I suggest you leave TSR for a little while and do some reading on vocal theory. Melismas, runs, licks and tone alterations are objectively measurable, and for you to simply dismiss demonstrates very clearly that you don't know what you're talking about. The fact remains that Adele sings her songs in largely the same fashion each time, whilst Jessie alters and adapts her performances to suit the audience, the occasion and to distinguish them from her other recent performances of the same song.

I see your deflector shields are set to maximum you just ignored the video where Jessie J said it herself and started talking about grammer. Anyone who has listened to them both singing Who You Are will hear that Misha B sang it higher than Jessie J you are deaf if you can't see that. Shouting and screaching might be altering her preformance but it's still not good otherwise she would have done it in the studio version aswell she was trying to over sing it and failed.

[video="youtube;60ROwaX0pcQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ROwaX0pcQ[/video]

From 2.53 to 2.59 is screaching and shouting not technical quirks as you describe it there is no denying that it's horrible to the ears
Original post by Shabalala
I see your deflector shields are set to maximum you just ignored the video where Jessie J said it herself and started talking about grammer. Anyone who has listened to them both singing Who You Are will hear that Misha B sang it higher than Jessie J you are deaf if you can't see that. Shouting and screaching might be altering her preformance but it's still not good otherwise she would have done it in the studio version aswell she was trying to over sing it and failed.

[video="youtube;60ROwaX0pcQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ROwaX0pcQ[/video]

From 2.53 to 2.59 is screaching and shouting not technical quirks as you describe it there is no denying that it's horrible to the ears

Again, why no punctuation?

You know literally nothing about vocal theory. The kind of note Jessie demonstrated at 2:55 is a specific kind of chest note usually associated with Aretha Franklin. It's a controlled A5 chest note. If you're about to tell me that Misha is better than Aretha Franklin simply because Aretha uses those sorts of notes then you really do need to leave TSR and do some research into vocal theory.

Also, do you understand that you're not making a single point by claiming that Jessie is screeching? I could just as easily describe Adele's singing as screeching or croaking or shouting, but it get us literally nowhere. Terms like 'screeching' are purely subjective terms, and as such have no place in this discussion. It's perfectly possible for something to be displeasurable to your ears, but for it to still be technically superior to something that you find enjoyable
Reply 82
Original post by inksplodge
I prefer Jessie J. Adele seems to do the same sort of songs allll the time whereas Jessie J shows off her vocal range.

Exactly what I mean.

People are going on about emotions and who they like more, and facial expressions and ****, but my question was who is the better singer, meaning who has the better vocal abilities.
Reply 83
Original post by Profesh
Jessie J is lyrically vacuous, Adele projects vocal timbre with all the subtlety of a foghorn (Make You Feel My Love notwithstanding), and both could be said to hail from the 'nursery rhyme' or 'paint by numbers' school of composition/melodic delivery, so this is not a comparison that holds any meaning for me whatsoever.

Back to Fiona Apple/Regina Spektor/Aimee Mann, I guess.

Not so:

And this performance is quite spectacular:

Though you're right, she has very little on the artists you have mentioned.
Reply 84
Original post by Laus
Not so:

And this performance is quite spectacular:

Though you're right, she has very little on the artists you have mentioned.

When I'm ready to forgive 'Price Tag', I'll let her know.

Quick Reply