The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SalC
Hi everyone!

I got my second tattoo 8 days ago and am getting a little worried about the healing! It's on my foot and was fine the first few days, just sore. Now it's starting to scab and I went swimming today for about half an hour, didn't think anything of it until I got out the pool and the whole thing was tight and sore and white flakes around it. I've had bepanthem on it every day since I got it done and thought that by now the scabbing should be coming to an end?

My first one was on my thigh and I didn't have any problems, but this is worrying me as it's script and will look messy if any of the ink comes away!

Any advice?

The picture is the day I got it done :smile: sals tattoo.jpg

Can't really help you on the healing process (the others here are much better placed to do that) but what does it mean out of curiosity?
Reply 1601
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Can't really help you on the healing process (the others here are much better placed to do that) but what does it mean out of curiosity?

It means "until the next time" in guernesais, a patois of French. I lived in Guernsey
for 6 years and did most of my growing up there. Guernsey is a beautiful island and my Godson lives here, it will always be somewhere for me to come back to :smile:
Original post by SalC
It means "until the next time" in guernesais, a patois of French. I lived in Guernsey
for 6 years and did most of my growing up there. Guernsey is a beautiful island and my Godson lives here, it will always be somewhere for me to come back to :smile:

Ah okay! I speak French at at first read it as "a la prochaine" then re read, realised it was different and was rather confused :colondollar:

Sounds lovely :smile:
Reply 1603
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Ah okay! I speak French at at first read it as "a la prochaine" then re read, realised it was different and was rather confused :colondollar:

Sounds lovely :smile:

The whole language is very similar to French, as a French speaker you'd probably be able to read and understand the language easily, but the pronunciation and structure is quite different :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1604
Original post by SalC
Hi everyone!

I got my second tattoo 8 days ago and am getting a little worried about the healing! It's on my foot and was fine the first few days, just sore. Now it's starting to scab and I went swimming today for about half an hour, didn't think anything of it until I got out the pool and the whole thing was tight and sore and white flakes around it. I've had bepanthem on it every day since I got it done and thought that by now the scabbing should be coming to an end?

My first one was on my thigh and I didn't have any problems, but this is worrying me as it's script and will look messy if any of the ink comes away!

Any advice?

Advice would be to continue applying bepanthen 2-3 times a day and do not go swimming again until it is fully healed. The healing process on your foot will be slightly different than your thigh due to the taughtness of the skin around your foot, hence the tightness/soreness and white flakes, pretty normal healing process tbh for skin like that.

If there are any issues post healing with an uneven finish, which is possible (but probably unlikely) just get it touched up, won't cost much to just clean up certain parts
Original post by SalC
Hi everyone!

Any advice?

I was told not to swim for 3 months after getting tattooed.
Keep putting on Bepanthen, don't swim again, and keep it uncovered to avoiding knocking off the scabs. They'll fall off by themselves and it won't pull the ink out.
And if it does look uneven, you can always go back for a touch-up. My tattooist does them for free as long as you haven't purposely done anything to mess it up, but it shouldn't be too expensive if you do have to pay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi there. Was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'm wanting to get a quote on my wrist and really can't decide between Oscar Wilde's "To live is the rarest thing in the world", or a quote by someone I don't really know which says "All good things are wild and free". I really love them both, who can help me decide? :smile:
Original post by senator88
Hi there. Was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'm wanting to get a quote on my wrist and really can't decide between Oscar Wilde's "To live is the rarest thing in the world", or a quote by someone I don't really know which says "All good things are wild and free". I really love them both, who can help me decide? :smile:

Do you really want a permanent quote written on your body which was chosen by someone other than yourself?!
Got this done last week, going back soon to finish it up!

20hsgm1.jpg
Original post by FilthyYouth
Do you really want a permanent quote written on your body which was chosen by someone other than yourself?!

It's not really 'chosen' as such, I really love them both equally and can't decide...I do plan to get the other one at some point...this is an advice forum isn't it?
Reply 1610
Got this done last week, going back soon to finish it up!

20hsgm1.jpg

Looks amazing. How many hours so far and still left to do ?
It's not really 'chosen' as such, I really love them both equally and can't decide...I do plan to get the other one at some point...this is an advice forum isn't it?

All I'm saying is, if neither of them really strike you as something which you WANT or NEED to have, then perhaps neither is the right one? And if you're planning on getting both anyway, which comes first doesn't really matter!
Original post by Cyclo
Looks amazing. How many hours so far and still left to do ?

I sat for three hours. I'm not sure how long it will take to finish it, just need the colour added :smile: Can't wait!
Reply 1613

Going to be very blunt and honest here, as I assume any tattooist also would. Either of those quotes would look awful, you need to think about the size of your wrists compared to the size of the quote. Quotes of that length would be something you'd put on a chest piece.

The smaller the tattoo and the smaller the lettering the less detail there will be, and especially if it is in cursive, a quote that size would have to be tiny and over time the colours would bleed and you'd just lose any really decent sharpness to the tattoo. I honestly don't think a tattooist who was half decent would tattoo that on you, theyd say the same as above, it just won't look good
Original post by NW86
Going to be very blunt and honest here, as I assume any tattooist also would. Either of those quotes would look awful, you need to think about the size of your wrists compared to the size of the quote. Quotes of that length would be something you'd put on a chest piece.

The smaller the tattoo and the smaller the lettering the less detail there will be, and especially if it is in cursive, a quote that size would have to be tiny and over time the colours would bleed and you'd just lose any really decent sharpness to the tattoo. I honestly don't think a tattooist who was half decent would tattoo that on you, theyd say the same as above, it just won't look good

Yeah I did briefly think about this actually....thanks for the advice! I will think about getting it somewhere else, probably on the ribs :smile:
Reply 1615
I'm trying to think of idea's for my next tattoo as I would love another. Though being a massive video game geek that I am I would love a sort of 8 bit style one but I'm struggling for an idea for one. Any idea's from people would be helpful :smile:
Reply 1616
Had my phoenix design extended from my side on to my back. Will post a pic up later.
Just had my first of two sessions on a new tattoo. Looks great, very happy with it! Anyone else get overly paranoid though about the whole aftercare process? So many different versions of the best way to do it, and I hate seeing the tattoo drying up in anyway!

I've always stuck to bepanthen but as long as you don't let it dry up, any type of moisture is good. I personally have never had a tattoo scab during the healing process and I see that as a good sign.
Original post by Cyclo
I'm a guy, but I think tattoos look great on the side whether female or male.

Here's my tattoo that is in progress at the moment. Next 2hr session on Monday. :smile:

It's a phoenix with a nature theme to the design.

Really nice placement
Original post by RachelWest
I've always stuck to bepanthen but as long as you don't let it dry up, any type of moisture is good. I personally have never had a tattoo scab during the healing process and I see that as a good sign.

Your massive backpiece didn't scab anywhere? :zomg:

Quick Reply