The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QHF
It's pretty logical that things should happen earlier for the medievalists, really :smile:

Hahaha. I wonder when the ancient historians get to hear then? :tongue:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1421
Original post by cyberpoet
Hahaha. I wonder when the ancient historians get to hear then? :tongue:

For ancient historians? No one knows the exact date, there's not enough evidence.
Original post by QHF
For ancient historians? No one knows the exact date, there's not enough evidence.

Clever clogs :tongue:. Surely Herodotus noted it down somewhere??
Reply 1423
Original post by cyberpoet
Clever clogs :tongue:. Surely Herodotus noted it down somewhere??

Only as an aside in a story about steppe cannibals, a context which has tended to damage readers' trust.
Original post by QHF
Only as an aside in a story about steppe cannibals, a context which has tended to damage readers' trust.

Awww the noble steppe peoples are terribly misunderstood. What's with a spot of ritual infanticide and the occasional horse-burger or two :tongue: - sounds like they were environmentally conscious long before it became fashionable.

Not too far from where I am (and we're not talking the Home Counties obv), native tribes cannibalize their dead parents as a mark of honour and respect. It's a good take on immortality, don't you think, ie mum and dad literally live on through you. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
So, I got my letter today.

Offer to Mst in Medieval Studies - 67.

:O
Original post by super-emily
So, I got my letter today.

Offer to Mst in Medieval Studies - 67.

:O

Congrats Emily! By the way, it's Sarah here, fellow York English undergrad - wonder if you remember me? I think we did the Late Renaissance together way back in first year :smile:

Ah 67, that would've put my mind at ease! My conditional offer came through on Monday: 70, for the MSt English (1900-Present).

Have you applied to Cambridge too/heard anything from them yet?
Reply 1427
Is a degree from Oxbridge always good, even though another university might be considered to be the best in this particular field? Can I make a mistake by choosing Cambridge (I have no idea how good Cambridge is considered to be in this field, just than the other uni is supposed to be the best)?
Original post by rsq
Is a degree from Oxbridge always good, even though another university might be considered to be the best in this particular field? Can I make a mistake by choosing Cambridge (I have no idea how good Cambridge is considered to be in this field, just than the other uni is supposed to be the best)?

What field is that? Generally speaking, there are hardly any fields where Oxbridge is really lacking. They either do not teach it, or they are among the best. Very few cases when they are not the best, they are among the top of the list anyway. And you always get the name recognition which, in case you decide to look for a job in another field, may be crucial.
My Oxford offer is 66 (upper third of a 2:1) for history of art. I should get a first so I am at this point quite confident I can make it. I guess this is a quite lenient offer though? Or is it standard? I always thought the conditions would be 70+...
Oh I have to add I am not at a traditional university but at University of the Arts London). Could this have anything to do with it?
On the other hand, UCL's conditional offer was a 2:2...
(edited 12 years ago)
what are the chances of re-evaluatees making it into an Msc course? why does oxford re-evaluate at the first place?
Reply 1431
Original post by Eton333
Hi all,

My cousin wants to do a masters ideally at either Oxford or Cambridge. He goes to LSE and just got his 2nd yr results (two high 2:1's and two firsts). If he repeats this next year he'll get an overall first (in fact he said he could go as far as getting two 2:2's as long as he got two firsts). Do you think his chances are good? Or do you think he's more in the next league down to Oxbridge? I know only the uni's can decide but was wondering what you guys think esp those who have had direct experience.

Thanks

Depends on what he wants to study...

Generically, a first from LSE would put him in a good position to get an offer.
Reply 1432
Original post by Fluffy
Erm - no idea. There's a lot more to it that grades...

what other experience does he have? Summer placements? Internships? etc?

Does not matter unless it is for a professional degree. A first degree from LSE is as good as can be for applying to Oxbridge and he should get an offer if he can get some strong letters of recommendation, which should not be too difficult with high grades at LSE.
Reply 1433
Hey there!

I'm planing to pursue doctoral studies in economics and I planed to apply I Oxbridge. Being from Switzerland I'm not exactly familiar with the way things are done in the UK, so I'd like to ask the 'indigenes' some of my questions :wink:

The biggest question so far is wether or not I'll be aloud to pursue a D.Phil / PhD after completion of a Masters Degree in Oxbridge. Is there some rule of thumb like "you need a 1st to continue"? How are the odds that you can transfer afterwards?

Greetings from the snowy Switzerland (yeah, we do actually have white easter :s-smilie:)

thafox
Original post by thafox

You'll have to apply and go through the competitive process like anyone else. You should aim to get at least 67% in your Masters to be competitive academically, but then there will be references and your research proposal to consider.
Reply 1435
Isn't that kind of strange, though?

For example, you finish the master thesis with a mentor and both he and you would like to continue with the mentorship in a PhD. As he was your mentor, he will write a recommendation, however, as he would be your future mentor, the recommendation is most relevant to him as well.

Or does the department/University need additional persuasion besides the wish of their professor to take you as their student? The research topic approval maybe?

Basically, is it possible you are offered (informally) a PhD place at the end of the MPhil or do you have to start applying in November (at the beginning of the MPhil)?
Original post by Sever
Isn't that kind of strange, though?

For example, you finish the master thesis with a mentor and both he and you would like to continue with the mentorship in a PhD. As he was your mentor, he will write a recommendation, however, as he would be your future mentor, the recommendation is most relevant to him as well.

Or does the department/University need additional persuasion besides the wish of their professor to take you as their student? The research topic approval maybe?

Basically, is it possible you are offered (informally) a PhD place at the end of the MPhil or do you have to start applying in November (at the beginning of the MPhil)?

I think a strong reference from a current and potential supervisor helps but you'd still have to submit your application by the closing date (Nov/Jan/March depending on the course) to be assessed with the entire batch of applicants.

As far as I know, the requirements vary between different departments. Some depts require a distinction in your MSt and/or dissertation. As threeport points out, general reqs include 3 references, RP, writing samples which are all important. There may be more detailed info on DPhil reqs in the Economics website and you could drop a line to your graduate studies office?
Reply 1437
Original post by threeportdrift
You'll have to apply and go through the competitive process like anyone else. You should aim to get at least 67% in your Masters to be competitive academically, but then there will be references and your research proposal to consider.

Thanks for your quick response!
So let's suppose that I did meet the more formal requirements like the 67% hurdle (btw, what do these percentages mean? is that getting 2/3 of the possible points or is it ending up in the top third of your class?) and I submitted all the references, papers, proposals ... How many of the qualified applicants can continue? Is it more like 1 out off 10 or is it rather like 2/3?
Original post by thafox
Thanks for your quick response!
So let's suppose that I did meet the more formal requirements like the 67% hurdle (btw, what do these percentages mean? is that getting 2/3 of the possible points or is it ending up in the top third of your class?) and I submitted all the references, papers, proposals ... How many of the qualified applicants can continue? Is it more like 1 out off 10 or is it rather like 2/3?

It doesn't really work like that ie 'how many of the qualified applicants can continue'. There are what, 20 places in the PhD cohort? The best 20 applicants will be selected. Where they come from is irrelevant to the university, it depends on the quality of the external candidates, the quality of the internal candidates, funding to take up places, subject area etc. There aren't a set number of places, so one year perhaps just on person will stay on, another year 6 might. I think the department is the only place that will know these figures, you could contact them ans ask how many Masters students stay on and do a PhD each year, they might be able to tell you.
Reply 1439
I'm thinking about doing an MPhil at Oxford or Cambridge, in my first exams I got an average of 69 but did better in my language papers than my essay papers (though the essay papers were still fine, all in the 65-69 range). Given that MPhils are more research/essay and less language-focussed would I be at quite a disadvantage applying and getting funding without a first?

Quick Reply

Latest