The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Be interesting to see how many players get rested for tonight in preparation of Saturday. Everton rested quite a few players but also had a morale boosting win.
Reply 6201
Original post by Vintage
I don't know if this will come out a bit insensative and if it does i don't mean to but...

Could it not be playing the semi final on april the 15th (espeically if you won it - which i hope you do for NUFC's sake) could be a great dedication. Playing for the memory of the 96. Kind of celebration of Liverpool and how they came through all this. Maybes getting the 96's families down to wembley. It will be emotional but just might be what the club and families need etc?

A large number of those who attend the Anfield Memorial have never attended a football match since that day. The families and those who were there deserve the right to remember their loved ones in the manner they wish, not what best fits around the football calendar.

And it wasn't insensitive either. I can understand why outside supporters cannot understand why we won't budge on playing on that date, but it's a decision we made a long time ago and will stick by it regardless. Unless it effects you, you won't really understand.,
Reply 6202
Original post by Zerforax
Be interesting to see how many players get rested for tonight in preparation of Saturday. Everton rested quite a few players but also had a morale boosting win.

Don't think we'll rest too many, hopefully Coates will get a game though. Struggling to find any confidence wrt these type of games anymore, actually go in expecting us to fall flat on our faces :frown:. Never thought I'd feel like this
Reply 6203
Original post by Stirlo
Don't think we'll rest too many, hopefully Coates will get a game though. Struggling to find any confidence wrt these type of games anymore, actually go in expecting us to fall flat on our faces :frown:. Never thought I'd feel like this

Really? It's pretty much how I felt throughout Woy's entire tenure.
Reply 6204
Original post by Deshi

Ofcourse I felt pessimistic throughout Woy's time, but for some reason it's feeling a lot worse at the moment
Reply 6205
Original post by Deshi

Most people have totally wiped those 6 months of football out of their memory. :biggrin:
Reply 6206
I think the difference between the Woy era and now is that even when Woy was hired people expected nothing but mediocrity and everyone was combined in expecting terrible football and results as well as wanting him gone. Instead of that collective now, we have a disjointed support. Some people supporting Dalglish because of his past, some people supporting Dalglish because their parents/older relatives/older friends have drummed it in to them about what Dalglish is, who he is and why he should be respected. Then you have some people objectively criticising Dalglish as well as the normal over the top idiots.
This has basically resulted in a lot of infighting which has eroded any sort of optimism or collective feeling.

Also, with the first few months of Dalglish's tenure holding such promise it is worse to see what the team has become now, whereas if Dalglish had presided over a team as bad as the one under Dalglish people would not have had any optimism for this season anyway, so a League Cup win would be seen as amazing regardless of the league position.
Reply 6207
Original post by Mess.
I think the difference between the Woy era and now is that even when Woy was hired people expected nothing but mediocrity and everyone was combined in expecting terrible football and results as well as wanting him gone. Instead of that collective now, we have a disjointed support. Some people supporting Dalglish because of his past, some people supporting Dalglish because their parents/older relatives/older friends have drummed it in to them about what Dalglish is, who he is and why he should be respected. Then you have some people objectively criticising Dalglish as well as the normal over the top idiots.
This has basically resulted in a lot of infighting which has eroded any sort of optimism or collective feeling.

Also, with the first few months of Dalglish's tenure holding such promise it is worse to see what the team has become now, whereas if Dalglish had presided over a team as bad as the one under Dalglish people would not have had any optimism for this season anyway, so a League Cup win would be seen as amazing regardless of the league position.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. The contrast between the end of last season and and how we've played since christmas it's like we're a completely different team
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Sorry, but no, it wouldn't. Too many people are affected by it and are still affected by it, added into it that the families do not want it. I wouldn't want to go watch a football on the anniversary of the day a member of my family died at a football match.

There should be no discussion, Liverpool Football Club will never play on April 15th ever again. End of. No further discussion needed.

Fair enough. It is and should be at the end of the day be down to what the family members want.
Original post by Dorito
seen a bit of talk about Liverpool signing Dempsey, which is a strange one. It would be a sideways step for him as far as I'm concerned, he's the star player at a solid mid-table outfit, I don't think he'd ever jump ship to come to a struggling team where he would no longer be the stand out player. There are better clubs that he could go to if he wants but he is incredibly loyal to Fulham.
:

He is another Charlie Adam. Good player that excells in an average mid-table team but once there are better players around him, Becomes very average.

Just keep away from Cabaye, Tiote and Perchy :colondollar:
Reply 6210
Original post by Vintage
He is another Charlie Adam. Good player that excells in an average mid-table team but once there are better players around him, Becomes very average.

Just keep away from Cabaye, Tiote and Perchy :colondollar:

We need goals, we need Cisse :teeth:
Original post by L18
Worringly, that would fit Comollis strategy of buying big fish in little ponds.

Comolli needs ****ing off.

Tbh, in liverpool's current situation that's the best you could go for really.
Original post by Deshi
We need goals, we need Cisse :teeth:

Amazing that he cost us just over £11m.

Thats 1/3 of the Andy Carroll money :teeth:
Reply 6213
Original post by word2yamother
Tbh, in liverpool's current situation that's the best you could go for really.

No its not.

We are in a better situation than Newcastle were at the start of this season, and they managfed to find some decent players in europe. Cabaye and Cisse were hardly unknowns either - one was a major reason in Lille winning the league last season and the other was one of the germans league top goalscorers.

Picking 'best of the rest' from the engish league is an expensive and futile method.

Time for Comolli to earn his ****ing money instead of looking at stat tables.
Original post by Vintage
Amazing that he cost us just over £11m.

Thats 1/3 of the Andy Carroll money :teeth:

It's a bit too soon to know whether he'll carry on scoring or Demba Ba it and not score for a Torresesque amount of time.
Fancy the Yak for a hattrick tonight. He'll be feeding off Carragher and Skrtel's terrible defending.
Reply 6216
Original post by L18
No its not.

We are in a better situation than Newcastle were at the start of this season, and they managfed to find some decent players in europe. Cabaye and Cisse were hardly unknowns either - one was a major reason in Lille winning the league last season and the other was one of the germans league top goalscorers.

Picking 'best of the rest' from the engish league is an expensive and futile method.

Same with Ben Arfa, was always regarded as one of the best French prospects, if Newcastle have taught us anything it's DON'T BUY BRITISH.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by L18
No its not.

What Newcastle did was a risky manoeuvre, these players had no experience in the league and could they could easily have turned out to be major flops. Also, didn't Benitez use to do the same thing and he had a ratio of like 1 good player for every 4 flops.
Original post by word2yamother
What Newcastle did was a risky manoeuvre, these players had no experience in the league and could they could easily have turned out to be major flops. Also, didn't Benitez use to do the same thing and he had a ratio of like 1 good player for every 4 flops.

Name us his flops then and I'll tell you exactly what purpose they had at the time and how quickly they were moved on.
Benitez brought in a large number of Spanish (or Spanish-speaking) players, yes, but they were mostly younger players (Pacheco, San Jose, Insua etc).

He didn't have many flops to be honest. Nuñez in the Owen deal was one of the worst though.

Latest