The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I finally handed in my report last week. I have well over the 5000 words, closer to 20000...I know I will probably lose marks for this, how much?

Also, any advice on the presentation? Mines coming up quicky, and I've got no clue what to include - anyone who's done theirs and who would be willing to send me it would be amazing!
I feel like my EPQ "lessons" are a complete waste of time. None of us know what we're going to do, and so far all we've done is a gantt chart on producing 200 leaflets (???) and a brainstorm of how to present the topic of "Why do young people take drugs?" I'd much rather be talking about getting our questions for our projects. :frown:
So, I've noticed a lot of peolpe are doing the EPQ, I was just wondering do you get offered to it if you're smart enough? Do you ask to do it? what grades do you need to do it? errrrm, if anyone's done it before, what did you do yours on?

A lot of questions but it just sounds interesting
some schools offer it as a lesson, some offer it as something to do in a free period, others say everyone has to do it.

You'd don't need any specific grades to do it.

I did mine on the use of robotics in delivering aid to wartorn and third world countries.

When you choose what to do it on, be careful, some topics you'll find extremely difficult to reach the word count, others like mine, you'll find that you can't put in as much detail as you'd like due to the word count limit.
Reply 2664
My experience with it has been horrendus but thats mainly beauase of my schools entire lack of motivation for the EPQ. Something I wish I had been informed about before I took it....:unimpressed:

I did about the soical history of tea and hopefully will be getting a good grade even though I had to teach myself about what the specifications are ect...

The actual project (should) help with skills such as independant learning, research and presentation. It is not recognized by universities however does count towards ucas points.
Reply 2665
My EPQ title is “The planning and the evaluation of the Sixth Form leavers' prom.” I've created a portfolio of stuff decided so far and how we've raised money from parties etc etc etc, as well as this I've made an online blog, because the event hasn't happened yet (which I knew when I took up the EPQ).

I have my presentation in a few weeks and I haven't the foggiest what I need to put in it the basis of the event is planned and the most of it is done, but what am I meant to actually talk about in my presentation because this book my teacher gave me to help us is actually *******s!

Can anyone help please :smile:?
Wait, if you go above 5,000 words do you lose marks?
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I finally handed in my report last week. I have well over the 5000 words, closer to 20000...I know I will probably lose marks for this, how much?

Also, any advice on the presentation? Mines coming up quicky, and I've got no clue what to include - anyone who's done theirs and who would be willing to send me it would be amazing!

http://prezi.com/i9enjfmm6xcy/should-cannabis-be-decriminalized/
I still can't quite decide what my EPQ title should be! I know that I want to do some kind of comparison between medicine and surgery based treatments. But I can't quite decide which disease I want to focus on! Does anyone have any ideas? Any help!!!??

PS, Like the idea of Cardio or Neuro, so any diseases that have enough literature in one of those areas would be completely awesome.

Thanks for any help
So, i really want to do the epq but I really don't know which area of medicine to hone in on, any interesting suggestions?
Anyone know when's the latest you can be entered for the EPQ? I'm currently in year 12
Can anyone confirm if the 5000 words includes references or not, or does it have to be 5000 of your own words??
Reply 2672
i was forced into doing this last yr cos i never got any work experience. i thought it would be easy doing a 5000word essay. BUT i dont want to do a presentation. i cant present. :frown: i get all scared and nervous like im bout to have a fit. lol.. Does anyone know whether its a MUST to present?
Original post by Blaze008
i was forced into doing this last yr cos i never got any work experience. i thought it would be easy doing a 5000word essay. BUT i dont want to do a presentation. i cant present. :frown: i get all scared and nervous like im bout to have a fit. lol.. Does anyone know whether its a MUST to present?

Your presentation is marked out of 10 (at my college anyway, it may differ), which goes towards your final grade for the EPQ-therefore it is a must to do it. I get nervous too, but if you really feel you can't do it in front of loads of people, ask your teacher if it can be just them and a few of your friends-that way it is a more comfortable setting for you. And practise it loads, if you know what you're going to say, you'll feel more confident in it.
Could you please fill in my questionnaire :smile:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/25CD27Z

Thank you!
Reply 2675
Could you fill in my short questionnaire please? :smile:

Thank you :smile:

http://kwiksurveys.com?s=LLEKLH_a095dd79
Original post by Silverland
^you could try comping thatcher to another prime minister, party leader or ruler of another country.

Comparing and "to what extent" questions are quite nice because they give you the chance to get some good evaluation in to reach the higher marks

Thank you.

<3 x
Hello to whoever is reading this!

My EPQ is due in on Monday and I've pretty much finished it. But I still have a few questions:

-did you guys number your pages?
-did you include an index at the start?
-did you have a cover for your EPQ? (if so what should it contain)

I just need to polish it now. Any help is much appreciated!
Reply 2678
Does anyone know if there's a maximum word count for the Dissertation.

Not just a recommended number ? and is this figure including references or not.
Original post by Knowledgable_Power
Hello to whoever is reading this!

My EPQ is due in on Monday and I've pretty much finished it. But I still have a few questions:

-did you guys number your pages?
-did you include an index at the start?
-did you have a cover for your EPQ? (if so what should it contain)

I just need to polish it now. Any help is much appreciated!

Hello! First of all, well done on finishing it!

For my EPQ last year I did number my pages and also included an index at the start.
I did put a cover, which basically had the title of my project, my name and my student number, centred and in a large font.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending