The Student Room Group

Any way I can take a small pet to Oxford University?

This is probably a ridiculous question, but I have a friend at Kings College London who has a pet hamster. However It's kind of different at Oxford as Christchurch college has cleaners for the rooms etc so i guess there's no way you could hide one. I'm starting in October and I've never lived without having a pet... I guess I just wish I could take a small rodent with me. Thoughts?
Reply 1
Hi! I'm starting in October at Christ Church, too. :smile: I don't think we are allowed to bring pets though :frown:
Reply 2
from what ive heard pets are a big no no in university housing but you can always try and hide them, keep them in a draw or such when the cleaners in ? :P
Reply 3
Irrelevant information: Our college has a cat for a pet, although I've never seen her within college. I think Corpus houses a couple of tortoises.

Maybe some colleges are more relaxed about this but as a general rule of thumb - pets are NOT allowed. Your scouts may not be too happy to find a mouse running around your room during cleaning day :P

If it's something really small, maybe you can hide it in a jar (cricket) or a bowl (fish)?
Reply 4
I wouldn't take a pet even if it was allowed. It isn't fair to keep them in small cages shut away and you can be sure they will keep you up at night wheel running and bar chewing!
I speak from experience here as I kept a hamster when I was at University and they are quite a responsibility on top of all your work and other activities. Also moving them too and fro at the end of term is unsettling.
Original post by Mulligan
I wouldn't take a pet even if it was allowed. It isn't fair to keep them in small cages shut away and you can be sure they will keep you up at night wheel running and bar chewing!
I speak from experience here as I kept a hamster when I was at University and they are quite a responsibility on top of all your work and other activities. Also moving them too and fro at the end of term is unsettling.

This.
I'm sat here with my kitten Bubba and I miss her when I go away for a couple of nights so I don't know how uni will be! The cleaners would rat you out, and even if you did manage to sneak a pet in, I don't think their quality of life would be very good... As much as you may love them it'd be difficult to give them the time and care they need.
Reply 6
Scouts will usually come and at least empty your bins every day so it would be pretty tricky to keep a pet hidden. Maybe if you live out in second year it would be easier.
Reply 7
Nope :redface:
Who the **** has a pet cricket? Apart from Pinocchio.
Reply 9
Thank you for all of the replies 😊 I mean when your family come to visit you, can they bring your dog and visit you in your room?
Original post by graceburch
This is probably a ridiculous question, but I have a friend at Kings College London who has a pet hamster. However It's kind of different at Oxford as Christchurch college has cleaners for the rooms etc so i guess there's no way you could hide one. I'm starting in October and I've never lived without having a pet... I guess I just wish I could take a small rodent with me. Thoughts?

Afaik, Christ Church has a college tortoise, and a dog (Layla), belonging to the chaplain, that you are able to walk. When my daughter was there, it was the Dean's dog, Pippa, that was available for walking,and it was a great way to feel at home at the college.

Latest

Trending

Trending