The Student Room Group

A level Choices problems..

So, I've selected my A Levels. I've done French AS early and am dropping it. Next year I will be doing History, English Literature, Politics and Economics.

Although I find these subjects all very interesting, I am certainly concerned about doing four essay subjects. On top of this, I find Biology unbelievably fascinating! Although it doesn't come to me as naturally as the others, I find it really interesting. My school would be doing SNAB.

The only problem is the teachers at my school for Biology are appalling. There are 2 good teachers in the whole department.. apart from that, they are shocking. I now it isn't wise to base a subject decision on teachers, but seeing as I already switched to Econ from French (was planning on doing another French course next year) - would it be acceptable to switch again next year, once I know who the teachers are.

Considering the fact that I find History the hardest, I have never actually done Economics before and I want to do HSPS at Cambridge - what would you recommend I switch out of, if I do switch?
Reply 1
If you switch I would say Politics

Wether you can switch is a different issue ... in my school you can change (subject to blocking and group size) up to the end of September
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
If you switch I would say Politics

Wether you can switch is a different issue ... in my school you can change (subject to blocking and group size) up to the end of September

I want to do politics at university though, so I should probably keep it..

You can switch even if you've switched once before?
Reply 3
I guess it depends which block Bio is in as to which you can switch

I would check with the Politics students re the need for Politics A level ... it is not a Cambridge preferred subject afaik

At my school ... yes
Reply 4
im doing just two Alevels-economics&sociology. and 3AS-Psychology,business, english
need anyones help. do you know any uni's that accept two alevels? do all of them want 3???
Original post by Blaze008
im doing just two Alevels-economics&sociology. and 3AS-Psychology,business, english
need anyones help. do you know any uni's that accept two alevels? do all of them want 3???

most do say three, but you can negotiate; three Cs may ba able to change for two As
some go by UCAS points, have you tried searching via UCAS course finder? http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/coursesearch/
Reply 6
Original post by Blaze008

Some universities make offers for some courses based on 2 A Levels

Your best bet is to look at UCAS for specific subjects at specific places
Reply 7
Some unis accept 2 A-Levels. Generally the lower-ranked unis though I think also some quite good unis for some subjects (2 A-Levels and 2 AS-Levels). What do you want to apply for?

Re: the original post, I would switch English or Economics.
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem
Some universities make offers for some courses based on 2 A Levels

Your best bet is to look at UCAS for specific subjects at specific places

thanks a million mate! on that right away. im thinking of doing economics man. dont think theyd accept 2Alevels. anyway cheers mate! :smile:
Reply 9
Well I found 3 easily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest