The Student Room Group

Giff Gaff - What's the catch?

Okay, I heard about this through word of mouth from a friend.

I heard the information usage was a little too good too be true. So what's the catch here?

I read the T&C and in my opinion I found that overall the liability of anything relating the SIM Card is the owners responsibility.

Furthermore I digged deeper and heard the company from someone on the forum stated that they don't have call centres but rather people help each and other and have small number of staffs (agents).

Now I read that the T&C states:

"Please note that your details will be passed to third parties for the purposes of carrying out these checks and reporting any fraudulent activity."

"We will not be responsible for any losses or damages that may arise from any such dealings with third parties."

Personally for me, I don't like the idea of information being used for marketing or third parties... moving on. I heard somewhere on the site that user may be contacted to verify their identity.

Now..who on earth would give important information over the phone???

Moving on, I heard its unlimited text + data and I know that's not entirely true. I think unlimited would refer to as 1GB/2GB, etc depending how much users use up and whats the cap rate.

So am I right to assume that information would be passed on to third parties? Is that the catch of this good offer?

Usually if I have problems with my phone, I'd contact my network and problem solved with no compromise in personal information and no third parties phone call

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by fourdigit

I heard the information usage was a little too good too be true. So what's the catch here?

I read the T&C and in my opinion I found that overall the liability of anything relating the SIM Card is the owners responsibility.

Furthermore I digged deeper and heard the company from someone on the forum stated that they don't have call centres but rather people help each and other and have small number of staffs (agents).

"Please note that your details will be passed to third parties for the purposes of carrying out these checks and reporting any fraudulent activity."

"We will not be responsible for any losses or damages that may arise from any such dealings with third parties."

Personally for me, I don't like the idea of information being used for marketing or third parties... moving on. I heard somewhere on the site that user may be contacted to verify their identity.

Moving on, I heard its unlimited text + data and I know that's not entirely true. I think unlimited would refer to as 1GB/2GB, etc depending how much users use up and whats the cap rate.

So am I right to assume that information would be passed on to third parties? Is that the catch of this good offer?

Usually if I have problems with my phone, I'd contact my network and problem solved with no compromise in personal information and no third parties phone call

iv given out a lot of sims out for giffgaff and they have gave me over £100 just for that.
unlimited internet- thats exactly what they give you. no caps
nobody i know receives and 3rd party callers so i don't know how correct that information is that you have been given.

the reason as to why it is cheap is because they don't have a call centre therefore GiffGaff as a company save a lot of money their so customers basically get more for their money.
instead they have agents on their websites so customers login and if their is a problem they have to message an agent are the customer get feedback within 24 hours... quite slow but the customer can also write their problem on the website and willing giffgaffers usually respond a lot faster as they are given credit for helping.
Reply 2

I suggest you re-read the T&C and take into consideration something called context.
Reply 3

Also known as a "credit check".
Reply 4
All companies perform these checks.

Also, the data isn't capped. There are speculations that they begin monitoring you when you hit either 20GB or 30GB of data usage in a month, but the only real way (and the reason they monitor at this point) you can accrue such a high level of usage is by tethering.

This is specifically against their t&c's, and they make it clear when you get a SIM.
Reply 5
I can't fault them.
I pay £10 a month for unlimited texts, unlimited internet and 250 free minutes.
They gave me £5 worth of credit when I first signed up to them with my sim, and swapped my number over to them. I still have that credit even now, 7 months down the line.
The only problem I've ever had is one day of no service, where a water pipe burst and really took down the system or something. Completely out of their hands. They run on the O2 network also so the signal is always fine for me.
Like I said, can't fault them! I'm actually really happy.
There is no catch. Whether they have a sustainable business at such low prices is another thing entirely, but enjoy it while it lasts.
Reply 7

All companies do it, not just GiffGaff, they are brilliant value, I get their £10 a month goodybag and it really is unlimited, obviously there is a 'cap' but its only at a high limit that you'd be unlikely to go near anyway.
Sorry I'm new to this and have bookmarked this thread to read later when I'm not rushing out of my home!

But quick question: is 10 quid a month for PAYG or do you have to sign a 30-day rolling contract? Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by emilybradstreet
Sorry I'm new to this and have bookmarked this thread to read later when I'm not rushing out of my home!

But quick question: is 10 quid a month for PAYG or do you have to sign a 30-day rolling contract? Thanks!

Its PAYG. Every month you'll have to go on giffgaff.com or use the giffgaff app to buy another goodbag. Though you can set it to topup £10 automatically every month.

I have giffgaff and think its quite good. Its cheap, but the network coverage/ up-time and customer support aren't amazing.
Original post by Sun!
Its PAYG. Every month you'll have to go on giffgaff.com or use the giffgaff app to buy another goodbag. Though you can set it to topup £10 automatically every month.

I have giffgaff and think its quite good. Its cheap, but the network coverage/ up-time and customer support aren't amazing.

Thanks! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me for that price. Will have to try it sometime.
Giffgaff is amazing. <3
Reply 12
Internet is actually unlimited and so are texts and there is no fair usage policy. You could be using 10gb or even 15gb or 10k texts. It is indeed unlimited.
Also, if you're on contract (i.e. buy a monthly goody bag), when anyone calls you, you get that many minutes added onto your allowance! So if my friend calls me for half an hour, I get 30mins added onto my allowance. Hence the amazingness :p:
Reply 14
They save me soooo much money, love them.
Original post by sweetascandy
Also, if you're on contract (i.e. buy a monthly goody bag), when anyone calls you, you get that many minutes added onto your allowance! So if my friend calls me for half an hour, I get 30mins added onto my allowance. Hence the amazingness :p:

This is all sorts of amazing. The more I find out about Giffgaff, the more I want to hit myself repeatedly for renewing my T-Mobile contract recently for another 24 months.
I have a mate who used it a ridiculous amount on his phone and had no problems, but stuck the sim card in his laptop and racked up a few GB of usage and got cut off within a day or so. So there's no catch (it seems), but they do enforce their no tethering policy!
Reply 17
There really isn't any catch. I use the network and most of my friends use it, we've never had any issues(well, it was difficult for me to get the internet and what not working initially, took around 4 hours but a lot of that was down to my phone and making stupid mistakes repeatedly etc.).

The only bad thing is that O2 has a crap signal in relation to other networks(i.e Orange) in my specific area, though that's not really a valid criticism of GiffGaff, or maybe even O2.

EMZ.
Reply 18
Original post by Sun!

giffgaff app on iphone available? I cant find it :erm:

EDIT: Found it. It has a heart as the icon WTF :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sun!

Surely network coverage is exactly the same as O2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending