The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by warwickorbristol
Louis has it in one tbh (especially questioning his work rate as well as his stamina, very astute).

Also as a side point I believe ivanovic is the best right back in the league and probably the world (I dunno who else there is though). Defensively he's like a centre back playing full back (Imo the best defensive fullbacks) in that he offers good aerial skillz and he's strong in the tackle, but because his delivery is so good he doesn't need to stray too far from right back while still offering a fantastic delivery. And when we push on he can offer as much as any wing back in the world. The only problem comes when he tries to play like a by line to by line full back because he doesn't have the pace for that.

:smile:
The same holds true for ivanovic.
Original post by manchesterunited15
what exactly is wrong with it? everything said is true.

Not really, team spirit, I would say they lack it, especially at the moment. They lack other things as well.
Reply 3041
Wonder how much city are going to spend in the summer if they (presumably) don't win the league? Should be interesting :ahee:
Reply 3042
Original post by manchesterunited15
what exactly is wrong with it? everything said is true.

No, it's not.
Reply 3043
Cavani,Thiago Silva,Javi Martinez.

Make it happen Sheikh Mansoor.
I want city to be awesome on next year's fm too.

Edit: Just realised it's actually possible this will happen.
:eek:
Cavani is no better than Dzeko and we'd have to wait for him to take to the league which could take forever if it even happens at all. I don't know why Thiago Silva would leave Milan and why we'd blow what would be a huge amount (Probably £30m+) replacing Lescott who's been among our best players this year. No idea what Martinez is like.
Reply 3045
WTF is all this about a huge shake-up at City? Without a doubt, it will halt the success of the club. A lot of people have been slagging off Mancini but I think he has done very well considering the situation. To dethrone a United team that has the most experience in the league at winning it, in such a short time and with such a massive turnaround of players is almost impossible. I have been saying all along this season from the very beginning that City won't win the league, not because of the player quality or managerial quality but a simple case of stability. If City stick with what they have got at the moment with a few minor alterations, they will go very far next season.
Reply 3046
Just buy players so other teams can't get them.

And STILL don't win anything. ;D
Reply 3047
Cavani is no better than Dzeko and we'd have to wait for him to take to the league which could take forever if it even happens at all. I don't know why Thiago Silva would leave Milan and why we'd blow what would be a huge amount (Probably £30m+) replacing Lescott who's been among our best players this year. No idea what Martinez is like.

He definetly is. And the whole settling into the league thing has never gone down well with me. It just seems like an easy excuse to use. Look at Suarez, he hit the groound running from the word go, so as Cisse with Newcastle- both coming from relatively inferior league. There are many more example
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 419
He definetly is. And the whole settling into the league thing has never gone down well with me. It just seems like an easy excuse to use. Look at Suarez, he hit the groound running from the word go, so as Cisse with Newcastle- both coming from relatively inferior league. There are many more example

We get this all the time though.
-Caicedo was doing well averaging more than a goal every two games
-We then spend £70 million on Tevez, Adebayor and RSC
-Adebayor does ok and Tevez well, RSC flops
-We sign Balotelli and play him on the wing for half a season
-Adebayor doesn't do much wrong but is replaced by Dzeko
-Dzeko when he's getting some form together is replaced by Balotelli who now plays centrally
-Dzeko doesn't quite hit the ground running so we sign Aguero

Now we have Aguero, Adebayor, Balotelli, Dzeko and Tevez with RSC written off as a flop and Caicedo who would be perfect for us as a 4th striker leaving for peanuts. And we also have to accomodate Guidetti who's done well in the Dutch league. Unless we lose 3 of those strikers and get a decent fee we won't spend big on another striker.

Compare Dzeko's record at Wolfsburg and Cavani's and are they really that different?
Reply 3049
We get this all the time though.
-Caicedo was doing well averaging more than a goal every two games
-We then spend £70 million on Tevez, Adebayor and RSC
-Adebayor does ok and Tevez well, RSC flops
-We sign Balotelli and play him on the wing for half a season
-Adebayor doesn't do much wrong but is replaced by Dzeko
-Dzeko when he's getting some form together is replaced by Balotelli who now plays centrally
-Dzeko doesn't quite hit the ground running so we sign Aguero

Now we have Aguero, Adebayor, Balotelli, Dzeko and Tevez with RSC written off as a flop and Caicedo who would be perfect for us as a 4th striker leaving for peanuts. And we also have to accomodate Guidetti who's done well in the Dutch league. Unless we lose 3 of those strikers and get a decent fee we won't spend big on another striker.

Compare Dzeko's record at Wolfsburg and Cavani's and are they really that different?

Oh I see your point now. I was only focusing solely on the Cavani Dzeko comparison but you were looking at the bigger picture. But yeh, I agree, you guys could do with a more pragmatic appraoch but tbh, you are just as bad as Real and I don't see it stopping anytime soon. . Fwiw, I'd have Cavani anyday over Dzeko but no point going for him since you've Dzeko considering the fee his service wil command.

I do think that you might have to sign another striker tbh. Balo's leaving, Bayor's gonna be sold, Tevez has to go (though if Mancini goes, they might all stay). I'd love for Guidetti to be given a chance.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not sure you could even get Cavani. He signed a 5 year deal last summer, and how important is he to Napoli? He has been the focal point of the attack which has propelled them to the CL. He works so well in their system, and they aren't in need of cash. I don't think they would sell him, seeing as there is no obvious replacement for their style of football, and the cash they would lose missing out on the CL.

I think City's problem is it hard to decide who you keep
Ade- I'm not sure of his top level goalscoring, even as Spurs this season his scoring rate hasn't been that of the striker City need in that central role. Also his relationship with the club is questionable
Balo- Talented, but I don't know if you can trust him. He's got a bad agent. I don't know if his future lies in English football.
Dzeko- Needs to play centrally for me, I think he could be the striker you need.
Tevez- No way. His relationship with Mancini is questionable for sure, he's 28 now, the oldest of the strikers. He's commitment to the sport is questionable.
Aguero- Definitely keep, although I don't like him played centrally.

I'd keep Balo(assuming Mancini stays), Dzeko, and Aguero. 4th striker would be good, but you can't have 4 big names on big wages.
Reply 3051
Original post by Lefty_P
WTF is all this about a huge shake-up at City? Without a doubt, it will halt the success of the club. A lot of people have been slagging off Mancini but I think he has done very well considering the situation. To dethrone a United team that has the most experience in the league at winning it, in such a short time and with such a massive turnaround of players is almost impossible. I have been saying all along this season from the very beginning that City won't win the league, not because of the player quality or managerial quality but a simple case of stability. If City stick with what they have got at the moment with a few minor alterations, they will go very far next season.

By the standards of TSR, that is shockingly reasonable. Stop it, you'll confuse people.

Original post by 419

Yeah but for every success story such as those two, there are plenty of failures - or 'delayed' successes - I'd agree it's not necessarily to do with the difference between league's though. I'd say it's as much to do with changing clubs, and often playing styles, and moving to a different country.

Not everybody reacts well to big changes as well as Suarez and Cissé have.

Original post by Jim-Jam
Just buy players so other teams can't get them.

And STILL don't win anything. ;D

And you STILL talk *******s.

Walk on Jim-Jam, walk on.
what a goal sergio
Reply 3053
Original post by Laertes

Yeah but for every success story such as those two, there are plenty of failures - or 'delayed' successes - I'd agree it's not necessarily to do with the difference between league's though. I'd say it's as much to do with changing clubs, and often playing styles, and moving to a different country.

Not everybody reacts well to big changes as well as Suarez and Cissé have.

You're right but don't you think Cavani will go to the Suarez, Cisse group??
Suarez hasn't hit the ground running at all. He averages a goal every 4 games. He's an average striker.
Reply 3055
Original post by 419
You're right but don't you think Cavani will go to the Suarez, Cisse group??

Maybe. Maybe not. He could waltz in and knock 30 in his first season but just as much I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled. He's only ever really succeeded at Napoli, before that he was thoroughly average at Palermo and whilst he has a great work-rate and seems to read the game quite well, I would have concerns about his ability to thrive against the more physical defences.

In short, I was more sure of Dzeko's suitability to the Premier League than I am of Edinson Cavani's. They could both work out, they could both go down as major flops.
Reply 3056
Suarez hasn't hit the ground running at all. He averages a goal every 4 games. He's an average striker.

He's a good supplier, though. He's just playing in a very average side.
Beautiful :sogood:
Reply 3058
This **** is gonna get tasty!
Reply 3059
Interesting comments from Mancini after the game - 'it's over'. Mind games? Or genuinely believes this?

Quick Reply

Latest