The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

First year accomodation choices for Aberdeen Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by kirsti
yeah this is the worry i have aswell. i dont want to end up with people who sit in their books all day / all night. and i wanna be with girls who are similar to me!

Me too!!! If we end up with room mates like that we'll go on a night out together :smile: Imagine on freshers' week, where the only people I am going to know are going to be my room mates, and none of them want to go out, I think I'd go mad!
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 101
Original post by Alt__x
Me too!!! If we end up with room mates like that we'll go on a night out together :smile: Imagine on freshers' week, where the only people I am going to know are going to be my room mates, and none of them want to go out, I think I'd go mad!

plan!! :biggrin: + ohmygod, knowing my luck that will actually happen to me! I will just go out myself, get drunk and end up talking to random people haha
Original post by Alt__x
When they assign you rooms do they ask you about your interests etc or just bung you in with random people? I really want to make friends with my flat mates and don't want to end up with people who don't want to go out partying etc.

I wasn't asked about my interests when I was assigned to my room - I have pretty much nothing in common with anybody in my flat but I get on really well with one of the girls anyway and we're sharing again next year :smile: I haven't met anyone who hasn't got on with anybody in their flat at all... everyone has found at least one person to be friends with :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by HeatherHatter
I wasn't asked about my interests when I was assigned to my room - I have pretty much nothing in common with anybody in my flat but I get on really well with one of the girls anyway and we're sharing again next year :smile: I haven't met anyone who hasn't got on with anybody in their flat at all... everyone has found at least one person to be friends with :smile:

I was hoping someone would say we would be asked about interests etc haha! are the people in your room doing roughly the same courses or is it very different and your pretty much just put in any room that relates to your choice form ?
Reply 104
Cheers for the comments in this thread, has given me some good ideas for when accommodation becomes available.
Original post by kirsti
I was hoping someone would say we would be asked about interests etc haha! are the people in your room doing roughly the same courses or is it very different and your pretty much just put in any room that relates to your choice form ?

Nobody in my flat is doing anything like me... The majority of my flat do science subjects, but I do primary education. You just get put in a random room it seems, but it's single sex flats only.
Reply 106
Hi everyone :biggrin:
I cant seen to sign up online through Aberdeen’s housing website, it says it doesn’t match my application :frown: but it also says you need to have an unconditional offer to process the form, so maybe that is why? Maybe that was a stupid question haha.

Does *anyone* know how it is best to sort housing, First year and I’ve heard of different companies mentioned on here, and Unite, how do most people go about this?! I’ve applied for student loans and I guess that just covers anything wherever you apply? I have no idea what the process is!
I’m really worried about being matched with people I may not click with too... I guess you cant choose but I have heard it is quite easy to switch around if there is space so that’s something!
Reply 107
Original post by ATTICUS21
I cant seen to sign up online through Aberdeen’s housing website, it says it doesn’t match my application :frown: but it also says you need to have an unconditional offer to process the form, so maybe that is why? Maybe that was a stupid question haha.

Does *anyone* know how it is best to sort housing, First year and I’ve heard of different companies mentioned on here, and Unite, how do most people go about this?! I’ve applied for student loans and I guess that just covers anything wherever you apply? I have no idea what the process is!
I’m really worried about being matched with people I may not click with too... I guess you cant choose but I have heard it is quite easy to switch around if there is space so that’s something!

I don't think you can apply till May/ June. You receive information about how to apply with your admission pack - that is what the website says here
Hi everybody :smile:
I booked a room in New Carnegie through unite-students.com but there was only one room left which already houses two guys in their second year. I went for it anyway. Now I heard that New Carnegie has only single sex flats. What does that mean now? They didn't say anything about that being a problem. Still, I'm confused. Can anyone help?
Original post by Buttercup16
Hi everybody :smile:
I booked a room in New Carnegie through unite-students.com but there was only one room left which already houses two guys in their second year. I went for it anyway. Now I heard that New Carnegie has only single sex flats. What does that mean now? They didn't say anything about that being a problem. Still, I'm confused. Can anyone help?

Contact Unite -ask for the Aberdeen phone number if they are a pain on the helpline.
Original post by ATTICUS21

Hello,

The application portal you are accessing is probably the one from last year and so won't work with your application number. The portal for 2012/2013 probably will not open until May at the earliest. Aberdeen take things at quite a relaxed pace...it is just something you will need to get used to :smile:

Regarding the different companies: Accommodation at Hillhead (with the exception of New Carnegie) and Crombie Johnston is managed by the university itself and you apply through the uni portal. 'Unite' and 'Living Student' are private companies who you should apply to directly.

New Carnegie is a special case!! This is a modern complex at Hillhead which is owned and managed by Unite. Around 75% of the rooms are rented from Unite by the university. So you apply to stay there via the uni portal. You pay the uni; the uni pay Unite.

Just to confuse you further, the other 25% ish of rooms are still owned by Unite and can be obtained by applying directly through Unite.

That was the situation last year and the year before but it may have changed :redface: I hope that made some kind of sense. As Rabbit has said, contact the uni or Unite for concrete info.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
Is there any significant difference between Fyfe, Wavell and Adam Smith? I'm thinking of going for one of those.
Also can someone tell if it's actually just 20 min walk to the campus and do most people walk, take the bus or drive on their own? Are there any grocery stores around?
It looks kinda isolated on google earth and I'm a bit concerned about the distances as I won't have car.

Has anyone else considered Unite's King Street Exchange? It seems like a pretty good deal to me too, but I only have a conditional offer so I'd have to wait until I meet the conditions or they have confirmed it, right?
Is it more for older students or are there some first years too?

thx for the help
Original post by katjas1
Is there any significant difference between Fyfe, Wavell and Adam Smith? I'm thinking of going for one of those.
Also can someone tell if it's actually just 20 min walk to the campus and do most people walk, take the bus or drive on their own? Are there any grocery stores around?
It looks kinda isolated on google earth and I'm a bit concerned about the distances as I won't have car.

Has anyone else considered Unite's King Street Exchange? It seems like a pretty good deal to me too, but I only have a conditional offer so I'd have to wait until I meet the conditions or they have confirmed it, right?
Is it more for older students or are there some first years too?

thx for the help

I believe those halls are all pretty similar, but I would advise finding someone who has actually stayed there. Kings campus is more like 10 or 15 minutes walk at the most through Seaton Park. It really depends which building at the campus you are heading for...some are much further than others. The halls are in the middle of a park, but it isn't really isolated relative to the city.

There is a Lidl supermarket just down the hill which is very popular. Cheap and surprisingly high quality produce. If that isn't your cup of tea then the 20 bus runs into town and the 1 or the 2 will take you all the way to the ASDA super mart if you are really keen :tongue:
Original post by katjas1

They're pretty much identical, apart from Fyfe having an extra floor and is only for males, Adam Smith is females only whilst Wavell is mixed sex. They were all newly refurbished a couple years ago with new kitchens, bathrooms and room furniture so I think they're good value for money in terms of their standards. :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

There is a Lidl supermarket just down the hill which is very popular. Cheap and surprisingly high quality produce. If that isn't your cup of tea then the 20 bus runs into town and the 1 or the 2 will take you all the way to the ASDA super mart if you are really keen :tongue:

Have to disagree on Lidl - own brand supermarket stuff is considerably cheaper than buying from Lidl (eg 12p own brand super noodles vs bachelors for 69p :tongue:), if you want to do a proper food shop then Morrisons or Asda are far better due to choice.

katjas1

The closest Asda is probably 45 min walk away which was extremely good exercise when carrying shopping back as there is no direct bus! Morrisons on King street is a about 30 min away though you may wish to get a bus back (20). And yeah there is the massive Asda, which I did actually go to once just to see but it took ages on the bus.

In first year I would reccomend Hillhead, or if you want catered Crombie/Johnston - there will be a high density of 1st years who will be wanting to make friends whereas in unite (excluding NCC) there will be a mix with older years and you will be away from a lot of the other 1st years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Thanks, Lidl will probably be just fine, I just need to get some food when get there, as I probably can't take much on plane with me
Reply 116
Original post by TheRabbit

In first year I would reccomend Hillhead, or if you want catered Crombie/Johnston - there will be a high density of 1st years who will be wanting to make friends whereas in unite (excluding NCC) there will be a mix with older years and you will be away from a lot of the other 1st years.

Ok cool, I haven't really crossed off Crombie/Johnston yet. They seem pretty good too, close to campus and you don't have to worry about food. On the other hand it's organised in halls not flats and really like flats better. It's just so hard to decide
Reply 117
Hi boys and girls :biggrin:, this theard is extremely useful, but I wanted to ask about accomodation in the Esslemont. Is it as bad as alot people say ?
Original post by SETESH
Hi boys and girls :biggrin:, this theard is extremely useful, but I wanted to ask about accomodation in the Esslemont. Is it as bad as alot people say ?

Not at all. None of the halls are bad, they are all perfectly habitable. Some are simply more modern than others.

Students do like to slag off other halls, but Hector Boece tends to get the brunt of it for some reason...And as Becca-Sarah has already said, there was nothing wrong with it!
Reply 119
What is more sociable, corridor-style halls, or halls where it is split into flats?

Quick Reply

Latest