The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by sarahlabrosse
Im confused :frown:! so do you need to have an averae of A at AS, or an A in each unit? thanks :smile:!

Why does no one ever read the first post on this thread?

You don't even need to average an A at AS, you need to average an A over the whole A level. Since you need to average at least 90% in the A2 units, a B at AS is fine - assuming you can raise your game at A2.
Reply 1121
Original post by sarahlabrosse
Oh right OK, so i have an A at AS Biology (with one modual at grade B), and 94% in the first half of A2, So to get an A* overall do i just need to et 86% in my next unit thats worth the next 50%??

I'm sorry for dumbing it down so much, but my head of sixth has assured me i can no longer get an A*? Is this wrong then?

You are right in thinking that you need to average 90% over the A2 units, but there are 3 of them and you are unlikely to know definite marks for the practical/coursework unit yet (unless you are re-sitting in 'Year 14') so stop stressing out about exact numbers and just work your socks off.
Reply 1122
Original post by SaintSoldier
So, as long as you get 80%+ at AS, it doesn't really matter if you just scrape an A or get 100%, as it won't count for the A* at A2, right?

Sort of - you don't need 80% at AS, only 70% plus as you only need to average 80% over the whole A level and the 90% required at A2 only needs 70% to balance it out to average 80%.
Original post by Xero Xenith
Of course you can. Most people take 3, insane people take up to 7, and someone made the news with about 23.

Thanks for answering me. Can you please suggest me some colleges that provide education for A - Levels in London, but these to be state funded?
Thank you
Original post by Guesswho1
Thanks for answering me. Can you please suggest me some colleges that provide education for A - Levels in London, but these to be state funded?
Thank you

I think there are literally thousands. A good place to start might be the league tables, but most people search by the ones closest to where they live, then find a good one from those.
Original post by Xero Xenith
I think there are literally thousands. A good place to start might be the league tables, but most people search by the ones closest to where they live, then find a good one from those.

Nice to hear your response that quickly. Thanks!
Do you have to get 90%+ in every single unit at A2, or just get 90%+ overall?

If the former is true, for the sciences, do you have to get 90%+ in ISAs too?
Reply 1127
Do you have to get 90%+ in every single unit at A2, or just get 90%+ overall?

If the former is true, for the sciences, do you have to get 90%+ in ISAs too?

You have to average 90% across all the A2 units, i.e. at least 270/300. For AQA Sciences, one of those is the ISA (but it is out of only 60 so in theory you could get away with only half marks on that if you got full marks on the A2 written units.)
(edited 12 years ago)
At my school for further Maths in the AS year we do

FP1 FP4 and S1

And in the A2 year we do

FP2 FP3 M2

The underlined modules are the actual A2 modules.

Does that mean if I want an A* in Further Maths I need to get over 90% on FP4 this year?
Hey guys,
so if I just scraped As, in my AS levels, and then got 90% in science A2 modules, it would be an A*. So having a high A at AS, won't make it easier to get an A* at A2, because you need atleast 90% - is this right? so 90% at AS, and 78% at A2 wouldn't be an A*? because the A2 isn't 90%+

thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1130
Original post by elisabethr
At my school for further Maths in the AS year we do

FP1 FP4 and S1

And in the A2 year we do

FP2 FP3 M2

The underlined modules are the actual A2 modules.

Does that mean if I want an A* in Further Maths I need to get over 90% on FP4 this year?

For Maths you need to average 90% on the best 3 modules you have taken that end in a 2 or more, so any 3 from FP2, FP3, FP4 and M2 would do. However, depending how you do in different units your M2 may land up in your Maths A level, moving something else into Further Maths.
Reply 1131
Original post by AishaTara
Hey guys,
so if I just scraped As, in my AS levels, and then got 90% in science A2 modules, it would be an A*. So having a high A at AS, won't make it easier to get an A* at A2, because you need atleast 90% - is this right? so 90% at AS, and 78% at A2 wouldn't be an A*? because the A2 isn't 90%+

Correct. As far as an A* goes, anything over 70% in AS is wasted effort as you only need to average 80% in the whole A level. Since you have to average at least 90% in the A2 units you don't need more than 70% in the AS (assuming you can still raise your game to 90% after that).
Original post by AishaTara
Hey guys,

Yeh basically.

You only need 70% at AS, because you have to get 90% at A2 to get an A* anyway. In this situation you'd have 80% overall for your A level (which gets you an A) and have 90% at A2 (which gets you an A*).

But obviously if you only got 70% at AS and then slip up a bit at A2 then you might not get an A, because you wouldn't have 80% for your A level.
Original post by Data
Correct. As far as an A* goes, anything over 70% in AS is wasted effort as you only need to average 80% in the whole A level. Since you have to average at least 90% in the A2 units you don't need more than 70% in the AS (assuming you can still raise your game to 90% after that).

Yeh basically.

You only need 70% at AS, because you have to get 90% at A2 to get an A* anyway. In this situation you'd have 80% overall for your A level (which gets you an A) and have 90% at A2 (which gets you an A*).

But obviously if you only got 70% at AS and then slip up a bit at A2 then you might not get an A, because you wouldn't have 80% for your A level.

Ah thank you for this :smile:
Can someone please tell me the requirements to get an A* in chemistry and biology (AQA for both)? I need to know this to decide on my firm. My teachers are giving me varied answers.

One teacher said i need 80% in AS and 90+% in A2 for chemistry. The other said i need 90% average over AS and A2 for biology which sounds ridiculous.

I got 255 (85%) ums for both in AS. Does that mean i need to get 95% for bio and 90% for chem?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1135
Original post by studentofskhs
Can someone please tell me the requirements to get an A* in chemistry and biology (AQA for both)? I need to know this to decide on my firm. My teachers are giving me varied answers.

One teacher said i need 80% in AS and 90+% in A2 for chemistry. The other said i need 90% average over AS and A2 for biology which sounds ridiculous.

I got 255 (85%) ums for both in AS. Does that mean i need to get 95% for bio and 90% for chem?

The requirements are 80% average overall including 90% average at A2 for all subjects. (Except maths and further maths which are a bit different due to how they're structured.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gemini92
The requirements are 80% average overall including 90% average at A2 for all subjects. (Except maths and further maths which are a bit different due to how they're structured.)

So this is for all exam boards? If so then I fell more assured. Thx for the quick reply:smile:.
Reply 1137
Original post by studentofskhs
So this is for all exam boards? If so then I fell more assured. Thx for the quick reply:smile:.

Yes, it's true for all exam boards.
Reply 1138
Original post by Gemini92
Yes, it's true for all exam boards.

Except for CIE where its 90% average over AS and A2
Reply 1139
Original post by Azland
Except for CIE where its 90% average over AS and A2

It is true for all UK domestic exam boards as these all follow the rules set out by OFQUAL or agreed between them. CIE is not an option for state school educated students in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest