The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2 standard suitcases and a few boxes, the girls i leave with brough alot more
3.4300 suitcases approx.(imately) which were roughly 1.5562m x 0.5471m (sorry for the Sig. Fig.)
(edited 12 years ago)
I took one mammoth case. It was bloody massive. I could fit inside of it and then some.

It fell apart when I hit Edinburgh.
Reply 4
Original post by just say hello
2 standard suitcases and a few boxes, the girls i leave with brough alot more

I can imagine that being the case, but i really don't want to be the one who brings in luggage amounting to 2 people :colondollar:

Original post by crocker710
3.4300 suitcases which were roughly 1.5562m x 0.5471m (sorry for the Sig. Fig.)

I guess I deserved that, but now you've left my brain a bit muddled cos I'm unsure what that is supposed to equate to. :p:confused:

Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I took one mammoth case. It was bloody massive. I could fit inside of it and then some.

It fell apart when I hit Edinburgh.

LOL :redface:, what was your mode of transport ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Everyone will be different, I took two cases when I moved to Cardiff which was basically just clothes, laptop and ipod phone and chargers etc. the rest I bought there (kitchen/bathroom stuff etc). Though I also took stuff down with me whenever I was travelling back and forth from home e.g. xbox.

When I start at Glasgow uni I can see myself taking all of that with me from home (rather than buying there) aswell as my TV etc. just because it's closer and I'll be getting there by car rather than plane.

Again I think it just depends on you personally, what you think you'll need and how far away you're travelling is also a consideration.
Reply 6
I took one large suitcase, and two medium sized ones, plus about five or so boxes, and bags of shopping and toiletries/cleaning stuff that I had just bought at the supermarket :smile:
My dad had to rent a car with a bigger boot to get my stuff down there.
A massive suitcase, 1 sports bag, 2 smaller bags and a **** load of boxes.
Reply 8
One thing to remember is when you're moving to a student residence, rooms can be rather small and storage places can be extremely limited, so if you bring a big hardshell luggage not just you might have to lug it up several floors by stairs, once you've unpacked you will have problems finding a place to store it.

When I went to uni, I took a bag similar to this :-

It is 32" and soft shell, can be folded flat and kept under the bed, also doubled at as my laundry bag which was a half mile walk away.... used to put the dirty clothes in it and wheeled it to the laundry room......without fail there'd be someone asking me whether I was going on a trip :biggrin:

Also took a backpack for my laptop and that's it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by (:Becca(:

This may sound stupid but what kinda things did you put into the boxes? I was thinking about just taking suitcases.
Reply 10
Original post by JongKey
This may sound stupid but what kinda things did you put into the boxes? I was thinking about just taking suitcases.

It's amazing how much crap one can accumulate over the years that fits into boxes.
Reply 11
I'm not at uni yet but personally I will be taking everything of mine that I wouldn't happily sell/get rid of before going to uni. At the end of the day you're going there to live and are effectively moving out, if you view it like a holiday where you don't really need to take your games console/guitar/favourite books/dvd collection or whatever else you like to do at home when you're bored then you'll probably find yourself regretting it pretty quickly. If you use it at home why would that change when you get to uni?

The only exception to this is where there is something different about uni that means you'll no longer use it - e.g. if you have a car and currently live in the middle of nowhere but are moving to a uni in a city centre meaning you can walk everywhere instead.

Edit: Also check lists of things to take to uni online for ideas of things you may currently own but haven't used in ages and didn't think you'd want at uni, for example your old school tie as a lot of unis have a 'school disco' themed fancy dress night during Freshers/at some point the year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JongKey

Kitchen equipment, **** like that.
I did have a box just for my shoes. :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by JongKey

You can put pretty much anything in a box as long as it fits. Suitcases may sound like a good idea but remember you'll then need to store them and can't really fold them down or anything. I'd take one in case you go on any trips/holidays and also any bags you want to take with you (e.g. bag you'll put your uni books in, a gym bag if you have one and plan to join a gym etc) filled with whatever you can fit in. Then after that boxes for breakables/small items and bin liners/carrier bags for things like clothes and books that can just be chucked in.
Reply 14
I have a whole flat to empty into my uni room in september, most of my stuff will go into storage, but i can imagine i will have about 3 suitcases and a number of boxes, pretty much untill my car is full, cant make more than 1 trip as its 500 miles to uni
If I get into my first choice it's quite close and I'll be travelling by car, so pretty much whatever I can fit in the car
Reply 16
Original post by Herr
One thing to remember is when you're moving to a student residence, rooms can be rather small and storage places can be extremely limited, so if you bring a big hardshell luggage not just you might have to lug it up several floors by stairs, once you've unpacked you will have problems finding a place to store it.

When I went to uni, I took a bag similar to this :-

It is 32" and soft shell, can be folded flat and kept under the bed, also doubled at as my laundry bag which was a half mile walk away.... used to put the dirty clothes in it and wheeled it to the laundry room......without fail there'd be someone asking me whether I was going on a trip :biggrin:

Also took a backpack for my laptop and that's it :smile:

I actually quite like the idea of that, if not for your post I very much think I would have been lugging about cases upon cases with no room for them :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by (:Becca(:

You're lucky. If I ever have more stuff than space in the car, I have to leave things behind.
Reply 18
Original post by yewande94
I actually quite like the idea of that, if not for your post I very much think I would have been lugging about cases upon cases with no room for them :biggrin:

Actually I had that dilemma too, I got into uni that year on clearing and didn't get the chance to organize any private accommodation so I had to rely on whatever was assigned to me. Was forewarned that I might get a rather small room......well they weren't exaggerating :tongue:

I guess how much you can carry will depend on how you are getting to uni, once you've answered that question you can easily decide how much stuff to carry. If you're travelling by rail, then realistically you should just carry 1 bigger sized bag especially if you will be on your own on move-in day (and yes it is perfectly possible to do move in day without parents in tow) :smile:

If you are going by car, then unless it is a gigantic people carrier or a Land Rover, then realistically you will only be carrying 2 cases or maybe a couple of boxes.

I was originally going to use the train to get to uni and was just going to carry the travel bag and the laptop bag, but there was a possibility of a rail strike and I wasn't willing to risk getting stranded so I rented a car and drove for move in day. Car was a Fiat Panda.

Things I packed :-

5 long sleeved shirts 2 casual, 3 formal/workwear.
5 long sleeved t-shirts, 2 with collar, 2 turtle neck and 1 without.
3 jumpers, 1 turtle neck, 1 V-neck and 1 formal cardigan.
2 sweat-shirts. (If you start joining societies, it won't be long before they start selling you hoodies)
5 short-sleeved shirts.
7 short-sleeved t-shirts, all meant for wearing in the flat.

3 x Jeans.
3 x Long pants.
3 x Work attire pants + 2 blazers.
2 x Shorts.
3 x home wear shorts.

1 pair of office wear shoes.
1 pair of trainers.
1 pair of hiking shoes.
1 pair of casual wear shoes.
1 pair of sandals.
1 pair of bedroom slippers.
1 pair of flip-flops for bathroom usage (It is a very good idea to have a pair of these in case you have filthy flatmates who won't keep the showers clean or even worse enjoy using the shower cubicle as a place to urinate or vomit) :tongue:

10 pairs of socks.
8 sets of underpants

That's for clothes and bags. Shoes were kept in standard plastic bags, while clothes were folded then placed in vacuum bags and compressed down before being placed into the travel bag.

Other things I packed :-

1 digital camera..
1 iPhone.
1 Laptop.
1 set of toiletries.
2 pairs of bookends for the shelves.
5 files (1 for each module I had planned on taking, you should make it a habit to start filling your notes from day 1 of classes)
1 hairdryer.
4 paper weights.
a 2.1 speaker system which I just threw onto the floor of the car.
1 cold weather jacket

Things I bought after moving in :-

2 sets of bed linen.
1 all season comforter
2 pillows.
1 x towel.
1 x medium sized non-stick frying pan.
1 x small sized non-stick frying pan.
1 x small pot enough to boil around 4 medium sized potatoes.
1 x pizza tray.
1 x baking pan.
4 sets of silverware which came with that all important can opener and bottle-opener
1 set of knives.
4 x plates.
4 x bowls.
1 pasta strainer.
2 x dish drainers.
2 x drinking glasses.
1 x mug.
3 x tupperwares.
4 x kitchen / tea towels.
2 x kitchen sponges.
2 x ScotchBrite pads.
1x toilet brush and cleaning sponge.

Some of these stuff if you already have them then pack them into a box and take it with you if you're going in a car, if you're going by rail then you might just want to mail it. Maybe could always take mummy's and get her to buy some new ones to save some quids :biggrin:

A word of advice is don't bring or buy the best of stuffs, you may or may not have crap flatmates who may just use your stuff with little to no care at all. We had one idiot who would not just nick your food stuff, but he would use your pans to cook it up.... non-stick Teflon coated?? Well it didn't cross his mind that he shouldn't be using a metal spoon on it.... wrecked almost every single pan in the flat.

Things I wish I had brought :-

Renter hooks (The room I was assigned had no place to hang a towel or or coat, just had 2 hooks behind the door and 1 small rail that wasn't high enough to hang anything but a tea towel :tongue: )

A LCD Panel in addition to the laptop.

An ironing board pad. The one in the flat was so damn filthy it would stain your whites.

Interesting and useful stuff my flatmates bought/brought :-

A small clothes drying rack, rather useful if you have clothes that can't be machine washed or you want to save some quids by not using the tumble dryers.

A laundry bag/basket. I just used my wheeled duffle bag as my laundry bag and each time I did laundry without fail someone would ask me where I was taking a trip to LOL.

Stackable plastic bins for some extra storage. If you get some shallow ones from IKEA they can fit under the bed or if your room has space for it, a bedside table.

A mixing bowl to toss salads.

A pair of washing gloves, the hot water out of the tap is super duper hot so don't scald your nice hands

A few bottles of Fabreeze... remember the aerosol sprays can trigger the fire alarm and you don't want the prize of being the first to set off the alarm in the flat LOL.... I emptied out 3 bottles of it into the corridors and bedroom as the carpets had a horrible damp smell to it..... isn't anything uncommon in most student accommodation whether it is Oxbridge or a Post-92 uni :biggrin:

A good pair of noise cancelling earplugs or headphones.

If you have a network cable RJ45 then you might as well bring it along, save yourself some quids from needing to buy one. Your room might be connected but not with WiFi.

Things I won't bother bringing on move in day:-

1) Mobile broadband, you really won't be needing it.
2) A car unless you have a job or really do need one. You do need to pay for parking as well to keep the car for the academic year.
3) Extra locks, especially cable locks for your laptops, you won't have a place to anchor it to in your room.
4) Food stuff, seriously you aren't saving any money by bringing food from home, most supermarkets you're used to sell stuff at nearly the same price nationwide... and that is true even if you're moving into a London uni.
5) Kettles, toasters, etc...these would be provided for.
Original post by yewande94
I can imagine that being the case, but i really don't want to be the one who brings in luggage amounting to 2 people :colondollar:

I guess I deserved that, but now you've left my brain a bit muddled cos I'm unsure what that is supposed to equate to. :p:confused:

LOL :redface:, what was your mode of transport ?

Train, all the way. By myself. My parents waved me off at the station whilst making funny faces in the window. Oh the shame for the rest of that journey.

Latest