Yes

What you have there is

6y(x+3y) + 9(x+3y)(x+3y)

Take out the red and what is left ... that is your other bracket

9y +9 + x
Original post by zed963
9y +9 + x

I am sorry but I am going to bow out now

You need to ask you teacher because you need someone sat next to you pointing to brackets, crossing things out, asking you questions

There is a major gap in your understanding here and you need someone to help properly

:smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Math12345
Relax. Take a deep breathe. Now...

6y(x+3y)+9(x+3y)(x+3y)

(x+3y) - Common Factor.

6y(x+3y)+9(x+3y)(x+3y)

Now continue...

why have u crossed the 9 out
Original post by zed963

Look carefully. :smile:
Original post by zed963
9y +9 + x

6y(x+3y)+9(x+3y)(x+3y)

Remove the common factor I have crossed out and you are left with:

6y+9(x+3y)
6y+9x+27y

There's your second bit.
Original post by zed963

Look carefully. :smile:

i thought the exact same thing, the 9 isn't crossed out, just how the 9 is displayed next to something that IS crossed out, makes it look like it is crossed out.

As TenOfThem said, you really need to go and see a teacher, or even ask a friend for some help. With these sort of things, you do need people to point it out to you, otherwise you'll just keep posting question after question.
Reply 47
6y(x+3y)+9(x+3y)(x+3y)

Remove the common factor I have crossed out and you are left with:

6y+9(x+3y)
6y+9x+27y

There's your second bit.

So that would be 3(3x+11y)
Original post by zed963

Leave it as (9x+33y).
Reply 49
Original post by zed963

But in the answer sheet it give 3(x+y)(3x+11y)
Original post by zed963

wouldn't matter. Either is correct.
Original post by zed963

Talk to a teacher, because I don't think you get it completely.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Talk to a teacher, because I don't think you get it completely.

but the common factor of 6 and 9 is three
Original post by zed963
but the common factor of 6 and 9 is three

Yes, but I still think you don't know how to get there.

Practice a few more questions.
Reply 54
Yes, but I still think you don't know how to get there.

Practice a few more questions.

Have you got anymore questions?
Original post by zed963
Have you got anymore questions?

No, I suggest you ask your teacher first for a good detailed explanation then ask them for questions.
Reply 56
Hi, I'm going to hijack this thread cos the topic is pretty similar. I'm self-teaching A-level and I unfortunately think I have missed something basic in factorising skills that keeps bringing me to a dead stop. It happens when the coefficient of x^2 is particularly high, especially when the resulting ac is large and negative. This is the problem that has just confused me at this point:

16x^2 + 16x - 45

I couldn't work out for the life of me any numbers that worked and when I checked the answer is (4x + 9)(4x - 5). I get that there was (probably?) a (16x + 36)(16x - 20) stage but I don't think I could ever have got to it by myself.

How do I go about finding the right figures? It's worst when b is positive and ac is negative, is there a method or a stage to the method I have missed to make it easier to figure out correctly? Thanks a lot for any help. :smile:
Reply 57
Realised just now that this thread is marked as Secondary School maths so I'm going to try bumping it this one time and if that fails I'll make my own thread with the above question. :s-smilie:
Original post by Ronove
Hi, I'm going to hijack this thread cos the topic is pretty similar. I'm self-teaching A-level and I unfortunately think I have missed something basic in factorising skills that keeps bringing me to a dead stop. It happens when the coefficient of x^2 is particularly high, especially when the resulting ac is large and negative. This is the problem that has just confused me at this point:

16x^2 + 16x - 45

I couldn't work out for the life of me any numbers that worked and when I checked the answer is (4x + 9)(4x - 5). I get that there was (probably?) a (16x + 36)(16x - 20) stage but I don't think I could ever have got to it by myself.

How do I go about finding the right figures? It's worst when b is positive and ac is negative, is there a method or a stage to the method I have missed to make it easier to figure out correctly? Thanks a lot for any help. :smile:

With those, I think you just have to 'see' it. Maybe someone has a better method (EDIT: Turns out Maths12345 does :tongue:), but if you can't see it then I'd just complete the square.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ronove

16x^2 + 16x - 45

First thing to always check is if you can simplify the equation. In this case you can't.

16x^2+16x-45

The product is a*c: 16*-45=-720
The sum is b: +16

What 2 numbers give a product of -720 and a sum of +16?

36 and -20.

Now split the b term into this: (you should put it in a order, so you can factorise e.g. 16 and 36 (have 4 in common) and 20 and 45 (have 5 in common).

16x^2+36x-20x-45

Factorise :biggrin:

4x(4x+9)-5(4x+9)

Common factor?

(4x+9)

Next bracket is the bits left over.

(4x-5)

Answer:

(4x+9)(4x-5)

Quick Reply

Latest