Germany
Czech Republic
UK
USA

All have there own merits

Discuss...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Germany, I suppose. Very broad variety and tradition (many Bavarian breweries exist since the late middle ages I think )plus the Reinheitsgebot.
Reply 2
Yorkshire!!! That is all...
Reply 3
Cows pee
pakistan afghanistan syria iran iraq qatar
Reply 5
Without a doubt... but also because I'm bias...

G E R M A N Y

and more precisely....

M U N I C H
Reply 6
Czech beer is the best I've had. Ridiculously cheap too, was something like 30p a pint (still sounds ridiculous, I'm wondering if I remember correctly) - in Prague
Reply 7
Addition: the world's oldest brewery still working is the Bavarian Statebrewery Weihenstephan in Germany, operational since 1050.
USA? Really?
Original post by py0alb
Belgium
Germany
Czech Republic
UK
USA

All have there own merits

Discuss...

Came in here to say Belgium.

As you say though, all have their merits.
Reply 10
Original post by Sir Fox
Germany, I suppose. Very broad variety and tradition (many Bavarian breweries exist since the late middle ages I think )plus the Reinheitsgebot.

I think Germany probably has the best variety. I'm trying to get through all the different styles but some of them are quite hard to come by.

Belgians do the best abbeys, dubbels, trippels, witbiers and lambics, Every beer is slightly different.

Czech does the best lager.

USA has been a serious force in IPAs for a decade or so now, and the UK is definitely up and coming at the moment, however both are still sullied by the difficultly of getting a decent beer in the majority of pubs. The UK is the worst at this.
Reply 11
Poland produce some nice beers.

Cheap too.
Reply 12
Original post by Barden
USA? Really?

The USA has a great craft beer scene, and has even invented a few of its own styles such as California Common (aka Steam Beer), American Pale Ale, Cream Ale, plus a few others.
Reply 13
My two favourite beers are both from Germany, so I'll say there:

Reply 14
The fridge. imo
Reply 15
You should add a poll, this is going to be a controversial thread :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Kiss
My two favourite beers are both from Germany, so I'll say there:

Good choice, can't beat a nice weissbier on a summers day. I have one chilling in the fridge right this second.
Reply 17
Original post by Sir Fox
Addition: the world's oldest brewery still working is the Bavarian Statebrewery Weihenstephan in Germany, operational since 1050.

I love people who appreciate a good old bavarian beer :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Sir Fox
You should add a poll, this is going to be a controversial thread :wink:

Done
Original post by py0alb

Discuss...
It definitely has to be between the UK and Germany, personally I would say the UK on the basis that there is simply more variety in the British brewing tradition - that said British ales can be an acquired taste and if your palette veers more towards the lager and wheat beer spectrum I can see why you'd pick Germany.

I think Belgium strolls a third. Brewing in the USA is not the joke it once was - there's certainly a greater variety than there once was but they need to learn not to make everything so damn sweet and they lose points for the fact that good beer is still a niche market there, not a standard fact of life as in most of Europe. Therefore the Netherlands, the Czech Republic and Ireland can play off for 4th, 5th and 6th place.

Quick Reply

Latest