The Student Room Group

Can I Finish Edexcel GCE S1 Maths Content In 3 Days?

Hi,

I am an A2 candidate and I am resitting this exam, simply because I got a 'D' in it in January :frown:. So I am resitting this exam next month :O (Time flies)

I also have a S2 exam the following week, but I find this module more interesting since we are studying this at school.

Just wanted to know a few good tips on how to do well in this module. Aiming to get an 'A', which is 80+ UMS

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say yes especially if you have no other exams to revise for. the exams are quite repetitive so the best advice is to print out 10 or so papers and do questions from them. Not all of them all the way through, seeing as they tend to ask the same type of question each year just pick the questions you find difficult and keep doing them from the papers until you can do it easily...
Reply 2
Original post by graham11238
I would say yes especially if you have no other exams to revise for. the exams are quite repetitive so the best advice is to print out 10 or so papers and do questions from them. Not all of them all the way through, seeing as they tend to ask the same type of question each year just pick the questions you find difficult and keep doing them from the papers until you can do it easily...

Oh ok. Thanks.

I do have other exams to revise for but I have structured the time carefully. Spend the morning on technology, spend the afternoon on computing and spend the evening on maths.

Also, would you recommend me doing Solomon papers first before doing the official papers?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by exam2k10
Oh ok. Thanks.

I do have other exams to revise for but I have structured the time carefully. Spend the morning on technology, spend the afternoon on computing and spend the evening on maths.

Also, would you recommend me doing Solomon papers first before doing the official papers?

Thanks

The Soloman papers tend to be slightly more difficult than the edexcel papers so if you are struggling with a topic, maybe start with the official ones, also keep the official ones in mind in case the soloman stray from the syllabus (i don't think they do though...).

I just had a quick look through the papers and remembered there are also "wordy" questions. Use these as they vary very little so you can probably just memorise a few stock answers with key words which always appear in the mark scheme. Easy marks!

To do well (get an A/A*) its also important to study the mark scheme and see what it is they want you to write for certain questions. Of course the numbers change but the format of the answer tends to be quite standard, so practise answering questions in an identical format to the mark scheme.

I revised for them by getting good at the edexcel questions then getting good at the soloman ones. When you go back to the edexcel they seem really easy (in case you were wondering I got an A for S1 UMS somewhere in the high 90s can't remember exactly as it was a few years ago, not trying to brag just so you know I'm not giving advice which hasn't worked for me)
Reply 4
Original post by graham11238
The Soloman papers tend to be slightly more difficult than the edexcel papers so if you are struggling with a topic, maybe start with the official ones, also keep the official ones in mind in case the soloman stray from the syllabus (i don't think they do though...).

I just had a quick look through the papers and remembered there are also "wordy" questions. Use these as they vary very little so you can probably just memorise a few stock answers with key words which always appear in the mark scheme. Easy marks!

To do well (get an A/A*) its also important to study the mark scheme and see what it is they want you to write for certain questions. Of course the numbers change but the format of the answer tends to be quite standard, so practise answering questions in an identical format to the mark scheme.

I revised for them by getting good at the edexcel questions then getting good at the soloman ones. When you go back to the edexcel they seem really easy (in case you were wondering I got an A for S1 UMS somewhere in the high 90s can't remember exactly as it was a few years ago, not trying to brag just so you know I'm not giving advice which hasn't worked for me)

Oh Ok. Thanks :biggrin:.

Gonna start doing some Solomon papers today and then move onto Edexcel. Questions I get wrong, will look at mark scheme and learn from the book
I'm doing this too, want to get 90%+ so need to go through Solomon & Edexcel. The hardest topics for me is Probability & Normal Distribution
The examiner changed along the way. The first paper by the current examiner is May/June 2007.
Reply 7
Original post by LifeIsGood
I'm doing this too, want to get 90%+ so need to go through Solomon & Edexcel. The hardest topics for me is Probability & Normal Distribution

Try going through CIE too, if you get time - might help. For the record though I find prob and normal distribution extremely easy. Combinations and Permutations is killing me :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by LifeIsGood

Yh same :frown:. Not a huge fan of probability. Probabily gonna go through it today and tomorrow and then start on papers next week.

Should have enough time then.
Yh same :frown:. Not a huge fan of probability. Probabily gonna go through it today and tomorrow and then start on papers next week.

Should have enough time then.

www.m4ths.com explains probability quite well, I learnt it from him. Exam Solutions didn't help too much for S1
Reply 10
It can be done in 3 hours!
Reply 11
Original post by Zhy
It can be done in 3 hours!

Really :eek:. How?

There are like 9 chapters, two of which are very long (normal distribution & probability)
Reply 12
Really :eek:. How?

There are like 9 chapters, two of which are very long (normal distribution & probability)

Skim-reading! And doing a couple of questions from each exercise.
Reply 13
Original post by Zhy
Skim-reading! And doing a couple of questions from each exercise.

Oh ok. Because I really want to move onto the papers ASAP.

I am resitting this module as well :frown: so yh.
Reply 14
Oh ok. Because I really want to move onto the papers ASAP.

I am resitting this module as well :frown: so yh.

All you need is a good motivator. For example, if I can complete an S1 paper and get 90+ on it by the end of the day, I get the pleasure of kissing and sucking her toes! If I can manage 100 then she lets me out of my spiked chastity belt for a bit and I am allowed to eat her out. That's my motivation! Combining maths revision and sex.
Reply 15
Original post by tiny hobbit
The examiner changed along the way. The first paper by the current examiner is May/June 2007.

What you mean?
Reply 16

Are you sure? I thought that the only ones that changed were C1-4/FP1-3 and D1-2. S3 is also cited as having a spec change, but all the content looks the same (it just has a new unit code and there is no coursework). I just did an S1 paper from 2001 and it was fine...
Reply 17
Original post by Zhy
Are you sure? I thought that the only ones that changed were C1-4/FP1-3 and D1-2. S3 is also cited as having a spec change, but all the content looks the same (it just has a new unit code and there is no coursework). I just did an S1 paper from 2001 and it was fine...

What percent did u get in it? :P
Original post by Zhy

I said the examiner changed, not the specification. There was a noticeable change of style of question, so make sure that you have done all of the papers from May 2007 onwards, even if you don't get round to the earlier ones. There are now 26 real papers on this specification!
Reply 19
I said the examiner changed, not the specification. There was a noticeable change of style of question, so make sure that you have done all of the papers from May 2007 onwards, even if you don't get round to the earlier ones. There are now 26 real papers on this specification!

Oh, I see, thanks for telling me, I didn't know that.

QwertyG - 100 UMS of course!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not bad, was expected. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest