The Student Room Group
For any training the Cheviots would suit. They are hard work, fairly featureless (which makes for hard navigation) and far more remote in real terms than anything further South.
Thanks for your reply!

Would you recommend anywhere else for him to train in and around the Newcastle area?
Does he have good proper map reading, camping and other skills? I'd want to make sure he was actually up to getting out and about before pointing him in a direction. What experience does he have in these skills? If he was from Newcastle and had them, he should know where to go!
Original post by ProStacker
Does he have good proper map reading, camping and other skills? I'd want to make sure he was actually up to getting out and about before pointing him in a direction. What experience does he have in these skills? If he was from Newcastle and had them, he should know where to go!

He say's he does know how to navigate but doesn't know the Newcastle or north area.
Anymore advice guys?
Original post by Lee R
Anymore advice guys?

Be serious! No-one who actually knows this sort of thing is going to tell a stranger, on an internet forum, where the SAS train! :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Be serious! No-one who actually knows this sort of thing is going to tell a stranger, on an internet forum, where the SAS train! :rolleyes:

exactly. OP, go buy one of the 6 million books about it if you want to know secret stuff.

I would say a trip down to brecon is a nice bet, doing the fan dance is something im sure you would have to tackle at some point, its great training and im sure if you asked they would give you the sort of times they expect their guys to go over and back in.

not to mention, i think your mate should attempt some howling stuff and see if he still has wish to join. Do 15 mins a km of straight line distance over the welsh terrain for upwards of 18 hours, see if it still floats his boat. (ICR if the TA's do long drag or not?)

there is a book called fighting fit by adrian weale i think his name was, its about 6 quid on amazon, and its a great book. some good fitness plans covering the sort of fitness you want for that sort of thing.

fitness is good, but you need to be sure your head is in it. granted im thinking in terms of the regs selection, but they have some very howling stats of how many very very competant, experienced soldiers take themselves off the course in the jungle. im talking like 30 or 40 out of every 50, not considering injury.

firstly, really examine your motivation. they will have plenty of guys coming through the doors who think it would be cool to be able to say they are SAS, who want to be jason bourne etc. and they will hammer all those guys out in no time at all.
Reply 8
For the navigation and fitness benefits, the nearest piece of hilly, barren, inhospitable, featureless terrain will do.

If you are serious about getting some local area appreciation prior to selection, then give your local detachment a call.
Original post by threeportdrift

Lol. It's actually a pretty well know area. (as i've been pointed out to on Arrse.) Doh!
Original post by c471
exactly. OP, go buy one of the 6 million books about it if you want to know secret stuff.

I would say a trip down to brecon is a nice bet, doing the fan dance is something im sure you would have to tackle at some point, its great training and im sure if you asked they would give you the sort of times they expect their guys to go over and back in.

not to mention, i think your mate should attempt some howling stuff and see if he still has wish to join. Do 15 mins a km of straight line distance over the welsh terrain for upwards of 18 hours, see if it still floats his boat. (ICR if the TA's do long drag or not?)

there is a book called fighting fit by adrian weale i think his name was, its about 6 quid on amazon, and its a great book. some good fitness plans covering the sort of fitness you want for that sort of thing.

fitness is good, but you need to be sure your head is in it. granted im thinking in terms of the regs selection, but they have some very howling stats of how many very very competant, experienced soldiers take themselves off the course in the jungle. im talking like 30 or 40 out of every 50, not considering injury.

firstly, really examine your motivation. they will have plenty of guys coming through the doors who think it would be cool to be able to say they are SAS, who want to be jason bourne etc. and they will hammer all those guys out in no time at all.

Thanks, he's down in Wales now! :-)
yes the reserve do "endurance" its not called the long drag and hasn't been for a long time and your limit is 24 hours for a 46 mile tab. in the winter 18 hours is considered a good time and 16 in the summer respectively. Only 6 of my cadre of 168 made the cut. I will say though prepare for hell. because your going through it.The Cheviots use the 4 peaks for training and its a very hard route, trust me. most of the "Hills stage" will be done there until test week comes on the breacon beacons but by that time you will or should know all of the routes of by heart! Good Luck. You'll need it!
Original post by soup ladel
yes the reserve do "endurance" its not called the long drag and hasn't been for a long time and your limit is 24 hours for a 46 mile tab. in the winter 18 hours is considered a good time and 16 in the summer respectively. Only 6 of my cadre of 168 made the cut. I will say though prepare for hell. because your going through it.The Cheviots use the 4 peaks for training and its a very hard route, trust me. most of the "Hills stage" will be done there until test week comes on the breacon beacons but by that time you will or should know all of the routes of by heart! Good Luck. You'll need it!

He needed it 2.5 years ago...!
Closed

Latest