The Student Room Group

I am getting a bit too late?

Hey guys, yesterday it was 5 weeks until my first exam. I'm doing English Literature, History (Soviet Russia + Britain 1815-1861), Biology and Chemistry, all of which are on AQA, and I'm seriously starting to panic.

I sat Bio and Chem unit 1 in January and got an A in Biology and a B in Chemistry (1 mark off an A), with surprising little work, the thing is, I started very early (Mid November ish), and I reckon that's how I got away with lazyness. This whole year has been an utter blur, organisation falling down a hole resulting in late homework, some poor marks in practices etc.

Now summer is creeping up on me and due to coursework I haven't really started until this week, but with light work, maximum 3 hours a day, and I feel petrified. I'm swamped by the vastness of what I have to cover in 5 weeks, having to read whole books for English again, one of which I only ever got half way through...

I'm so worried I just feel paralysed and end up doing nothing and wasting my time. Its the old cycle of "tomorrow I'll do 6 hours then go out", and then actually only doing a couple of light hours and then vegetating. This is like nightmares I've had.

I need to things from you guys:

1. Is this pretty late starting (be honest).
2. How have you coped with stuff like this in the past?

Thanks. Jamie.
Reply 1
I did the Russia and Britain units on Edexcel, which are somewhat similar. You need to thoroughly revise those units leaving plenty of time. In particular you should practice how to handle the sources! It's not to late, but you need to start now.
Just start now and you'll be fine. Often the thought of revising is worse than doing the actual revision.
Original post by TheatreLovely
Just start now and you'll be fine. Often the thought of revising is worse than doing the actual revision.

This is a good point - for example, OP, you say you have to 'read whole books for English again' but maybe think of reading them as more of a leisure thing. You obviously enjoy reading (well you took English Lit so I hope you do :lol:) so do other revision in the day, then in the evening, put on some music or jump in the bath (whatever relaxes you a bit) and give those books a good read. Although you will need to learn stuff about those books for the exam, a lot of what you have studied and analysed in class will come back to you as you read, and afterwards you can go over your notes too.

As for your general worries, it may sound obvious but there is nothing you can do now but work as hard as possible. Maybe use the consequences of you not doing very well as a motivator (works for me :rolleyes:) and cut your revision down into chunks and do it all bit-by-bit, so revise one topic at a time. Don't think about how much else you've got to get through, just focus on that one topic and you'll find that you get through them a lot better.

But also try to not stress out too much and get enough sleep, remember - you still have time left! :smile:

These are all just general suggestions but I hope you find them useful, good luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm feeling exactly the same way as you; I have 8 exams in May and I've done absolutely nothing. I'm crapping myself when I remember my first exam is only 4 weeks away but I cant stop procrastinating

But 4 weeks is enough to cover everything...you have 5 weeks still. It's okay...you can do everything in 5 weeks

I'm in the same position as you; I'm so scared and worried that I just procrastinate so much...cannot wait for May to be over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
THIS IS ME! Well, I revise last minute everytime, not mid november. I so wish I did though, there would be less tears for sure during the exam periods! But yea, I think about what I have to do and then hours go by just stressing but doing no work :frown:

BUT, you can do this! I think you know you can too but your just wanting someone to tell you to revise (like me ahah) seriously, just think of your life ambition an go for it! after the exams are over you can doss all you like, but in the mean time, work at it! (cringe)

this post is so ironic considering I have 0 motivation lately but yea, REVISE NOW!
Reply 6
The thing I love about studying English is that I can curl up with a good book and not feel so guilty because it's basically revision!

OP, I'm with you on this one! My motivation is at an all time low at the moment.

Original post by TheatreLovely
Often the thought of revising is worse than doing the actual revision.

^ And this is so true. Revision is almost enjoyable when you get going! almost.
Reply 7
Original post by Manisha93
THIS IS ME! Well, I revise last minute everytime, not mid november. I so wish I did though, there would be less tears for sure during the exam periods! But yea, I think about what I have to do and then hours go by just stressing but doing no work :frown:

BUT, you can do this! I think you know you can too but your just wanting someone to tell you to revise (like me ahah) seriously, just think of your life ambition an go for it! after the exams are over you can doss all you like, but in the mean time, work at it! (cringe)

this post is so ironic considering I have 0 motivation lately but yea, REVISE NOW!

Thing is, I still have some homework left to do... it just steadily gets put off more and more. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by JamesWhite95
Thing is, I still have some homework left to do... it just steadily gets put off more and more. :frown:

really sorry for the late reply, i am getting terrible at this aha! SAME! aargh stress. suppose we just have to plough on now...the hardest bit is getting started
Reply 9
I feel the same. My mind is in complete turmoil. WHY HAVE I LEFT IT SO LATE. GOD DAMN :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest