The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Hanging out with people from other uni's.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if it's common for people to have friends outside Queen Mary (particularly the other UoL universities). If so, how do you meet them?

I really like the left-wing, political atmosphere at SOAS and have a feeling that I'd probably get along with the people there better, but unfortunately they do not do the course I want.

Do people usually hang out with folks from other uni's or is it more the norm to have most friends from the same uni as you? If you do, how did you meet them? How many people at Queen Mary actually go to other events/talks at the UoL Uni's and make friends there and use the Senate library, ULU gym etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Not a student myself but my friends at uni in Edinburgh ll get along well with people from the other 3 unis in Edinburgh. Just out of interest what course were you to apply for at SOAS. It's one of my 5 choices
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Calllu-m
Not a student myself but my friends at uni in Edinburgh ll get along well with people from the other 3 unis in Edinburgh. Just out of interest what course were you to apply for at SOAS. It's one of my 5 choices

SOAS doesn't offer the course I want -- Psychology. :frown:
Original post by D0LLxo

Ah I see. Shame. I'm not so keen on the liberal atmosphere at SOAS myself.
Original post by D0LLxo
Hi guys,

Just wondering if it's common for people to have friends outside Queen Mary (particularly the other UoL universities). If so, how do you meet them?

I really like the left-wing, political atmosphere at SOAS and have a feeling that I'd probably get along with the people there better, but unfortunately they do not do the course I want.

Do people usually hang out with folks from other uni's or is it more the norm to have most friends from the same uni as you? If you do, how did you meet them? How many people at Queen Mary actually go to other events/talks at the UoL Uni's and make friends there and use the Senate library, ULU gym etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Listen, OP. Universities of London offer talks and events and the collective UoL itself has societies for students of any of the UoL uni members so it should not be too difficult.
Original post by D0LLxo

Are you gonna study Psychology like me? :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Are you gonna study Psychology like me? :tongue:

:eek: Is that what you are studying? Are you first year, second year?
Reply 7
Listen, OP. Universities of London offer talks and events and the collective UoL itself has societies for students of any of the UoL uni members so it should not be too difficult.

Ok. Thanks for replying.
I did not know UoL had societies, aren't these usually hosted by the individual universities then? I don't get how that works. Can you give me your personal example (if you don't mind)? How many friends from other unis do you have?
Original post by D0LLxo
:eek: Is that what you are studying? Are you first year, second year?

1st year :biggrin:
Original post by D0LLxo
Ok. Thanks for replying.
I did not know UoL had societies, aren't these usually hosted by the individual universities then? I don't get how that works. Can you give me your personal example (if you don't mind)? How many friends from other unis do you have?

I am a special case. :wink: I am studying Japanese at another university so that's why I have friends at more than one university. Apart from those two, I don't have any other friends at other unis, but I know that if I want I can just join UoL (the collective) societies and get to meet like-minded people. :smile:

This is the official page of the UoL collective:

http://www.ulu.co.uk/
Reply 10
1st year :biggrin:

Cool. It's hard to find people on TSR who study Psych @ Queen Mary.
I've spoken to a user called Blush (something like that) who's also doing Psych.. and that's about it! :redface:
How's the course?
If you're interested in hanging out with SOAS style pseudo-Marxists, QMUL has quite a few of them, so don't let that worry you :wink:

In all honesty, the University of London is no longer the beacon of federalism and firmly collegiate institution it was a few decades ago. In that way, unless you really make an effort e.g. by attending ULU events, getting involved with ULU socs, living in intercollegiate halls, going to Senate House library instead of Mile End, etc your exposure to non-QMUL students will be pretty minimal. Or you could just go to student nights in central, but then you'd be meeting people from all over, not just the UoL.
Original post by D0LLxo
Cool. It's hard to find people on TSR who study Psych @ Queen Mary.
I've spoken to a user called Blush (something like that) who's also doing Psych.. and that's about it! :redface:
How's the course?

I don't study at QM but at UEL. :tongue:
The course is okay but I am a bit lazy.:colondollar: And exams are coming over.
Reply 13
I am a special case. :wink: I am studying Japanese at another university so that's why I have friends at more than one university. Apart from those two, I don't have any other friends at other unis, but I know that if I want I can just join UoL (the collective) societies and get to meet like-minded people. :smile:

This is the official page of the UoL collective:

http://www.ulu.co.uk/

Hm, the clubs and societies aren't that many. :frown: I wonder if they're active.
Thanks for the help anyway. :smile:
Reply 14
I don't study at QM but at UEL. :tongue:
The course is okay but I am a bit lazy.:colondollar: And exams are coming over.

Oh okay.
Haha, good luck on the exams dude! :wink:
Original post by D0LLxo
Hm, the clubs and societies aren't that many. :frown: I wonder if they're active.
Thanks for the help anyway. :smile:

There is a UoL Marxist society. :smile:
I don't know your political views :colondollar: but you could try it!
Original post by D0LLxo
Oh okay.
Haha, good luck on the exams dude! :wink:

Thanks! :biggrin:

I really need it! :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Democracy
If you're interested in hanging out with SOAS style pseudo-Marxists, QMUL has quite a few of them, so don't let that worry you :wink:

Lol. I don't mind Marxists. I heard there are a lot of hipsters at Queen Mary. Is this true?

In all honesty, the University of London is no longer the beacon of federalism and firmly collegiate institution it was a few decades ago. In that way, unless you really make an effort e.g. by attending ULU events, getting involved with ULU socs, living in intercollegiate halls, going to Senate House library instead of Mile End, etc your exposure to non-QMUL students will be pretty minimal. Or you could just go to student nights in central, but then you'd be meeting people from all over, not just the UoL.

I don't know if you'd know, but if a society at SOAS holds an event, e.g. a talk on some political issue, can external students go to the event? Or would that just be weird.

Yeah, students nights would be a good way to meet other people, problem is, I'm not into clubbing/partying so I wouldn't be meeting like-minded people. :redface:
Original post by D0LLxo
Lol. I don't mind Marxists. I heard there are a lot of hipsters at Queen Mary. Is this true?

Nor do I, but I don't like pseudo-Marxists :wink:

Yep, a fair few, especially in halls.

I don't know if you'd know, but if a society at SOAS holds an event, e.g. a talk on some political issue, can external students go to the event? Or would that just be weird.

Depends, usually most official society events e.g. talks, etc will be open to guests though you may have to pay more to get in, though very often it will be free. Don't think you'll be able to join any SOAS societies and actively contribute to meetings however (e.g. as a president, committee member, etc) as you will be a QMSU member, not SOASSU.
Reply 19
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Went to QMUL, now at SOAS.

Tbh, there's not much intermingling. I hardly ever met anyone from other UoL universities when I was at QMUL; unless you make a point of hanging out at ULU (which is nowhere near Mile End), and join ULU societies rather than QM ones, and try and do a few intercollegiate classes (but that won't be mixed with SOAS because no psychology), then I doubt you'll really come across many SOASians, or other UoLers tbh.

At SOAS there's more connections to other colleges, namely UCL, but that's because we're literally neighbours.

Oh, ok thanks for the information. That's a shame.
Have you noticed any major differences between the atmosphere/people at Queen Mary and SOAS? (again.. might include some generalising, sorry).
Which would you prefer?

Quick Reply

Latest