The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, he should probably cancel the account if he's worried.
Jeremy Clarkson was so convinced by bank security he published that exact information in the press and said he was safe.
He had to recant pretty quickly when someone set up a direct debit from his account!
Reply 3
finally someone brings it up :biggrin:
the only thing you can do with that info is put money INTO the account. it only becomes a problem when they have your address, dob etc... so if someone gets the account number and sort code the most they can do is pay into the account.
Reply 4
mickyhamps
the only thing you can do with that info is put money INTO the account. it only becomes a problem when they have your address, dob etc... so if someone gets the account number and sort code the most they can do is pay into the account.

what about buying off the internet?
Reply 5
Zweihander
what about buying off the internet?

They would need his card number (the long one on the front) and likely his security code, expiration date and date of issue.

My email and facebook got hacked once and I was worried there was e keylogger on my computer, and I do online banking. Nawest told me they wouldn't be able to get money out of my account even if that were the case, and the sort code and stuff can be found out from my online banking account.

He's got nothing to worry about. Your account number, name and sort code are written on every cheque you write. It would be a pretty rubbish system if writing someone a cheque gave them all the information needed to steal your money.
mickyhamps

That's what Clarkson thought.
He was wrong too.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-506242/Clarkson-hoist-petard-fraudster-sets-charitable-direct-debit-using-bank-details.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jan/07/personalfinancenews.scamsandfraud

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm
Reply 7

Why does the British Diabetic Association not ask for some sort of verification? isnt there a law against it?
Obviously not!!!
Reply 9
The clarkson thing was a bit of a jip though, they set up a direct debit to a charity.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of people who saw it, ONE person managed to set up a direct debit to a charity - my guess is, a bank employee up for a laugh.

You cant steal someones money with just account number and sort code - otherwise it would be a silly system, because thats the exact info you have to give out to receive money. Even gas companies/electric companies who take direct bank transfer give out account numbers and sort codes.
mr. Michael Tierney

there you go. steal my money lol

without an address there isnothing that can be done at all.
paddyman4

He's got nothing to worry about. Your account number, name and sort code are written on every cheque you write. It would be a pretty rubbish system if writing someone a cheque gave them all the information needed to steal your money.

This, is a very good point.
What if the person has your name, address, account number and sort code then what can they do with it?
Jeremy Clarkson did this arrogantly thinking his details were safe and someone set up a charity direct debit from his account.
Reply 14
I'm kind if worried about this myself. A friend owes me money and was going to do a direct bank transfer from his account to mine. He needs my sort code and account number to do it. Surely if it's required to put money into the account its a bit of a security risk if it's all you need to take it out? :-/
Reply 15
Original post by Asimus
I'm kind if worried about this myself. A friend owes me money and was going to do a direct bank transfer from his account to mine. He needs my sort code and account number to do it. Surely if it's required to put money into the account its a bit of a security risk if it's all you need to take it out? :-/

Well..

It's possible to set up a Direct Debit using just those details. However, only companies who have been issued with an SUN can receive money via direct debits - this means that they are all, in principle, regulated. In effect they are sponsored by a bank - and it is the bank who takes the money.

There is also the Direct Debit Guarantee, which basically means that if there is an error, you can get your money back. Companies which are issued with SUNs often have to have large deposits with the bank which the bank can then recover any money lost in this way.

So while in principle, an organisation with an SUN could steal your money using just your basic account details, it is unlikely, and you can get your money back.
Reply 16
well people could put money into said persons account? otherwise naff all..
Original post by Zweihander
Hypothetically speaking if you had someone's name, account number and sort code would you be able to take money out of their account? I know someone who thinks he left his details in a public place.

Give me yours and I will give you my best shot. :wink:

He would have got his money back.

Lots of companies put their account details on their websites. If someone wants to defraud you they will, but considering every single cheque you write out has your details on then there is little to worry about.
It depends, if the person has the card then they can take money out the account. Most websites only need the information on the card to buy stuff tbh....

Latest

Trending

Trending