The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Hey!

I'm trying to listen to my dissertation which is written on Word 2007. I manage to get Microsoft narrator to speak the tool bar words etc but cannot get her to speak what is inside my word document. Does anyone know how to do this?!

Thanks in advance!! :smile:
Reply 961
Original post by Akkuz
Haha, probably! I think teachers know that everybody does that; she's the one who suggested I change it! :rofl:

Hate reading those parts of my dissertation that I clearly wrote at like 1am in the morning and make little or no sense :facepalm:

Roll, roll, roll your boat gently down the Thames..and blow up UCL! :rofl2:

Haha that wouldn't surprise me :biggrin: It's all one big conspiracy :ninja:

I know the feeling :sigh: And at the time, you think 'This is a work of pure genius!' and then your supervisor says 'WTF are you on about here!?' ...oh :sad:

:colone:
Reply 962
Original post by kiss_me_now9
I hate my dissertation already and I've only been working on it a month or so :sad:

By around 8,000 I was feeling physically sick just looking at it, hah. Learn to embrace it and love it! :hugs:

Original post by aeterno
I know the feeling :sigh: And at the time, you think 'This is a work of pure genius!' and then your supervisor says 'WTF are you on about here!?' ...oh :sad:

:colone:

haha, I know that feeling so so well....can relate! Although at the end of the day you have to do whatever your supervisor wants because they mark it. I don't agree with one or two of the changes my supervisor suggested but I'm going to include them anyway.
Original post by Akkuz
By around 8,000 I was feeling physically sick just looking at it, hah. Learn to embrace it and love it! :hugs:

Shouldn't be here really because mines not due until summer next year - But the topic is so dry and not what I wanted to do at all :frown: No words written yet, just doing background research which I don't understand at all... Have to have a 2600 word proposal handed in in two weeks time and I don't even have a hypothesis yet!
Reply 964
Original post by Akkuz
haha, I know that feeling so so well....can relate! Although at the end of the day you have to do whatever your supervisor wants because they mark it. I don't agree with one or two of the changes my supervisor suggested but I'm going to include them anyway.

Yeah I had a mini argument with my supervisor about one of the changes. He said 'Actually X came up with that, not Y' and I said 'But it's not incorrect to attribute it to Y, especially given the context - in fact it's more appropriate to mention Y here because of what I've mentioned earlier. Just because X mentioned it first, it didn't mean it was a widely held belief until Y.' 'No, it's more correct to attribute it to X.' 'How? That wouldn't make any sense. I could still mention X in brackets if you really want but it seems pointless to replace Y with X.' 'No, change Y to X.' 'Ok, only if you change your research to show that actually Z came up with the theory way before X was even born :colonhash:' 'No, that would be incorrect as there is no conclusive proof for that.' 'There is, it's just in a different language. Translations are available for it.' 'No.' 'Fine, I'll change the bloody thing. :colonhash:' 'Thank you.'

:sigh:
Reply 965
Original post by aeterno
Yeah I had a mini argument with my supervisor about one of the changes. He said 'Actually X came up with that, not Y' and I said 'But it's not incorrect to attribute it to Y, especially given the context - in fact it's more appropriate to mention Y here because of what I've mentioned earlier. Just because X mentioned it first, it didn't mean it was a widely held belief until Y.' 'No, it's more correct to attribute it to X.' 'How? That wouldn't make any sense. I could still mention X in brackets if you really want but it seems pointless to replace Y with X.' 'No, change Y to X.' 'Ok, only if you change your research to show that actually Z came up with the theory way before X was even born :colonhash:' 'No, that would be incorrect as there is no conclusive proof for that.' 'There is, it's just in a different language. Translations are available for it.' 'No.' 'Fine, I'll change the bloody thing. :colonhash:' 'Thank you.'

:sigh:

:rofl:

Spoiler

:ahee:
Original post by Akkuz
:rofl:

Spoiler

:ahee:

so wanted to rep but couldn't...

and dissertation wise, I will print it on sunday for handing in on monday. too bad my tutor never got back with feedback.

also too bad, apparently the dissertation module doesn't have unit evaluations so i can't complain about my tutor or the disorganisation :frown:
Reply 967
Original post by ellejaytee
so wanted to rep but couldn't...

and dissertation wise, I will print it on sunday for handing in on monday. too bad my tutor never got back with feedback.

also too bad, apparently the dissertation module doesn't have unit evaluations so i can't complain about my tutor or the disorganisation :frown:

Ahh! Well at least your at the printing stage nearly. It's all over soon :biggrin:

Proof-reading and editing is seriously depressive :colonhash: 28/48 done..:sad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Just went over the 9k mark :awesome: The aim now is to hit 12k by Sunday night, so I can leave my diss at home to go on holiday on Monday. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.
I've hit the 10k mark. I'm about a couple of hundred words away from 11k and I still haven't done my introduction and conclusion. I think I might have a little trouble staying within the word count but I need to finish it by tomorrow so I can focus on revision.
Today is the last so im up ready after completing another module at 5am this morning and as its the last day its going to be finished :biggrin: christ how the last 3 weeks have flown.
Reply 971
Hang in there people :smile:

I know after a while it gets horrible just looking at it, but if you can overcome the frustration and take some extra time proof-reading and improving things it'll be a big difference!

At the moment I'm making a small summary table at the end of my literature review, summarising: Key Findings, Supporting Authors, Working Propositions.

It's a little thing I picked up from one of my professors. It makes your work more academic and ultimately makes it easier for the reader to understand your lit. review in one table.
Original post by Akkuz
Hang in there people :smile:

I know after a while it gets horrible just looking at it, but if you can overcome the frustration and take some extra time proof-reading and improving things it'll be a big difference!

At the moment I'm making a small summary table at the end of my literature review, summarising: Key Findings, Supporting Authors, Working Propositions.

It's a little thing I picked up from one of my professors. It makes your work more academic and ultimately makes it easier for the reader to understand your lit. review in one table.

That's a good idea! And tables don't contribute to the word count :colone:
Reply 973
Original post by Becca-Sarah
That's a good idea! And tables don't contribute to the word count :colone:

Absolutely :smile: Teachers love tables, graphs and models etc. :colone:
Can I cry now? I wrote 500 more words on my discussion chapter then my laptop crashed losing it all. I had made tables and graphs everything. I am away to work soon and won't be home to midnight and wanted to get to the 2000 mark and now I have 45mins to get 450 words :frown: curses to dell!
Turns out I'm actually at 11,600 words and I still haven't done my introduction and conclusion. :facepalm2:

I think'll just take the rest of the day off, go to bed nice and early and then tomorrow work on the introduction and conclusion and try to cut the whole thing down a bit.
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Can I cry now? I wrote 500 more words on my discussion chapter then my laptop crashed losing it all. I had made tables and graphs everything. I am away to work soon and won't be home to midnight and wanted to get to the 2000 mark and now I have 45mins to get 450 words :frown: curses to dell!

Oh man, that sucks big time! :frown: Didn't it auto-recover? Computers, eh? Can't live with them or without them :tongue: Sorry that happened, hope you can make up the words asap :smile:

Quick question for people who have finished or are nearly finished - how many words roughly did you use for your conclusion? As I said before, I suck at conclusions so I'm wondering how much I should include? My dissertation is a maximum of 10,000 words and it's a textual/theoretical based dissertation, so there's no primary research.
Original post by amizzle91
Oh man, that sucks big time! :frown: Didn't it auto-recover? Computers, eh? Can't live with them or without them :tongue: Sorry that happened, hope you can make up the words asap :smile:

Quick question for people who have finished or are nearly finished - how many words roughly did you use for your conclusion? As I said before, I suck at conclusions so I'm wondering how much I should include? My dissertation is a maximum of 10,000 words and it's a textual/theoretical based dissertation, so there's no primary research.

I always think 500 is the right amount as its not too short and not too long :smile:
Original post by nutrition2012
I always think 500 is the right amount as its not too short and not too long :smile:

Thank you for replying :smile:

500 sounds good. Means I need to cut more out, though, damn! :tongue: Can probably manage to waffle for 500 words though. Damn I hate concluding :mad:
Reply 979
Original post by amizzle91

I think mine was just under 1k. It all depends on how much you think is necessary to say what you need to say. Obviously, you'll be elaborating a little more than you would in, say, an essay but it needn't be ridiculously long. If you get to a sentence and you wonder why on earth you're using it - take it out! :tongue:

Conclusions are crappy, I'll give you that. :sigh: It's where I usually give up and end up with comments like 'Where's your conclusion?' or 'What happened here?' or 'Your conclusion didn't follow on from the rest of what you said.' :colonhash: So maybe my advice is useless here :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest