The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I can't do it ;-; I got a D last year, I'm still taking it this year, but.. I have no idea how to do well in it.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Write an essay glorifying Lord of the Rings and another glorifying our monarchy. Got me an A in the January module :3
Reply 442
OAO but aren't there set questions? Last years one I had to write an essay on abortion and another one about a scientific experiment and how to make it better ;n; I talked about the japanese power plant orz. YOU GOT AN A?
I'm sure you can find a way to get Lord of the Rigs into any essay :v
Hell yeah I got an A! :cool: Although I got an A and C, B overall at AS. Apparently my big essay comparing the Japanese and Haiti earthquakes wasn't good enough ;_;
Reply 444
idek dude, my tutor hasn't told us about anything for the exam this year- and my tutor last year talked about modern art and politics .-. it seems just like a random exam.. where you either do really well or bad DX
That's because it is a random exam :v You actually have lessons for it? 0.o

In brighter news: Finally finished my coursework yesterday!!! Just waiting on my teacher to tell me it's all wrong again now :biggrin:
Reply 446
..... I haven't started my next draft of my coursework yet |: I refuse to go onto my college email because I'm scared kjsndofierr and yeup; we have like an hour lesson just doing pointless stuff .__.
Reply 447
All my coursework was handed in before easter wooooo :wink:
Also, have all you guys seen Simon and Martina's "eatyourkimchi" youtube chanel. It's really interesting and all about Korean culture, kpop etc. Hours of procrastination can be had watching their videos if you haven't already. :smile:
I've watched a few of their K-Pop Monday or Friday or whatever the hell day it is videos and a couple more about Korean culture. They're okay in small doses, but I find them a bit annoying.
Reply 449
I've seen some of their videos before! I think it's the accent but ah well, they're okay! But don't get me started on procrastinating ;n; I can't believe it's wednesday already- HALF TERM IS ALMOST OVER
It'll be a week tomorrow since I sent my coursework to my teacher. Still no response. It needs to be done by Monday and I really need feedback on a few things ;A;
Reply 451
;N; Silly teachers, maybe they'll send it this week-end? Or they might want to speak to you about it /: my teacher hasn't emailed me either.
Reply 452
its me againnnnnn ^^

i has a problem ><
my mum is really not happy about me wanting to apply for korean,
i know its not her choice as to what I do at uni,
but how did youz butter your parents up? or were they cool with it?
i just want my parents support :[
Original post by taeace
;N; Silly teachers, maybe they'll send it this week-end? Or they might want to speak to you about it /: my teacher hasn't emailed me either.

He replied yesterday... but to an email with a question I no longer need answering, and not to the email with my actual fecking coursework in it. Well it's in Monday, so he can't really speak to me about it...

Original post by vabbian
its me againnnnnn ^^

i has a problem ><
my mum is really not happy about me wanting to apply for korean,
i know its not her choice as to what I do at uni,
but how did youz butter your parents up? or were they cool with it?
i just want my parents support :[

Well, what reasons has she given for being against it? What are your reasons for wanting to do it rather than a normal History/English/Science degree? I might be able to help you come up with something to reason with her with...

My mum was kinda sceptical and I think she still finds it kinda weird and has tried convincing me to do other stuff, but I think she realises its my choice, not hers, so I was kinda lucky.
Hello, I have a few questions... >_<

Can I ask what subjects you guys took at A-Level and what grades you're getting?

I feel as though I need to re-take my subjects...because I originally wanted to go into an art career...but I've changed my mind and would love to do Korean studies :A:

I've took:
AS Fine Art (B), AS Photography (A), Ancient History (C -aiming for a B/A), Critical Thinking (C) and GCSE Spanish (C - Doing the whole GCSE course in one year)

Next year, I'm going to try and pick up AS English and A2 English and take them as separate subjects, carry on with Ancient History and either Photography/Critical Thinking...even though Critical Thinking is pretty useless.

Do you think I'm in a bad spot to get on the course? :A:
Well, only Ancient History and English are acceptable subjects: http://www.shef.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/alevel

However, since you have two acceptable subjects (or will when you pick up English) then one of the unacceptable subjects will be considered for entry. So, as long as you do pick up English and you have decent AS results and predicted A2 results you could still have a chance of getting an offer. I'm not sure how they'll view you doing AS and A2 English in one year, especially since it'll mean your predicted grade will be based off of about 2 months of English, but that'll have to be something you'll have to wait and see about... I'm not sure about a bad spot, but you're certainly in a very awkward spot. Re-taking AS with different subjects would make it considerably easier, but re-taking a whole year isn't exactly preferable for most people I'd imagine.

I take English Lit., History, General Studies and Classics at A2 and did Biology at AS. I got AABBB at AS and was predicted AAAA for A2 when I applied (although I sure as hell won't be getting AAAA)
Waah, an awkward spot indeed. There isn't anybody at my college who can give me advice on this. I'm attending the open day on the 7th, hopefully they'll help me out. Are they good with questions like this at open days?

I really am just considering staying a third year, but I don't particularly want to. Are third years looked down upon at Universities?

Ahh, strong subjects. I'm so regretful, LOL. Are they strict on acceptable subjects? And is the course very popular?

Thank you very much :3 ~ <3
Well I'm still at A2 and all my subjects were acceptable so I don't really know if they're strict on them... but I imagine they would be, otherwise there'd be no point to having acceptable and unacceptable ones...
Korean is the least popular of the East Asian Studies department, and at my Open Day after getting an offer I think they said they're expecting less than 10 this year so... But the small class sizes is oen of the things that attracted me to Korean as opposed to Japanese.

I imagine they'll help at the Open Day, but since it'd probably be quite a long winded question and answer you might be best waiting until after the talk is over to go up and ask.

As for third years being looked down upon, as long as it's not because you did so bad the first time around you had to retake an instead because you wanted to do something different I don't think they would. To be honest, as long as you can get the grades they want at A2 and can do well on the course I don't think they'd really care if you did a third year.
Well, hopefully if they're expecting 10 or so students and it's the least popular, that they're more leanient on the not so strong subjects xD There's no harm in trying. I might as well just retake all of my subjects. T_T

That's what I was planning on C: I'll have to draw up a list of questions for it.^^

Hmm, that's what I thought. I'm sad about dropping photography as my teacher is constantly nagging me to take it to A2 because he thinks I have the eye for it. But, even under "Art" It's still under the unacceptable so D:

I might just have to stay a third year :c
Reply 459
Original post by VirusCarrot
Well, hopefully if they're expecting 10 or so students and it's the least popular, that they're more leanient on the not so strong subjects

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they aren't lenient in the slightest. i'm a 2nd year now but i was rejected on results day, as were 3 more people in my year now and we resat and applied again. i thought the same thing as you did when i was applying and was shocked to find a big fat rejection staring back at me on ucas. you have to nail the grades exactly for korean otherwise you won't be accepted i'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending