The Student Room Group

Medical students on wards

Probably a really stupid question coming up and I am not even a medical student yet but I cant seem to find this answer anywhere.

As a medical student, do you do actual shifts on the wards? Or is just 'visits' as such. Are you required to stay for a set period of time etc?
Reply 1
Thank you to whoever moved this post out of the 'Current Medical Student' society thread, but since you went to the trouble are you able to answer my question?
It's not like a 9-5 type 'shift' pattern but at Cardiff the general idea is that you go in for 9 and leave around 4 or 5ish. You attending scheduled teaching sessions, tutorials, bedside teaching but also attend the ward round, beg someone to let you take their blood, speak to some patients, examine some patients etc. a lot of which is done in you own time.

Edit: Must add though that some get away with leaving at 2pm, 3pm or even earlier it depends on who's around and what's happening. Round exam time the pressure is more on to head to the library rather than stand around like a lemon if there's nothing to do :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
On surgery atm: I go in for the ward round, take a history from someone interesting, then if nothing else is happening, go home (as early as 10ish sometimes). However, a lot of the time there is some teaching happening, and occasionally you have to go to theatre which could keep you there until 5 or so if you're unlucky. I'm probably fairly mid-range in terms of commitment - i know people that have only come in on 3 days of this 3 week placement.

I hear medicine is more intense with the attendance requirements (here at least).
Original post by QofQuimica
Probably a really stupid question coming up and I am not even a medical student yet but I cant seem to find this answer anywhere.

As a medical student, do you do actual shifts on the wards? Or is just 'visits' as such. Are you required to stay for a set period of time etc?

At Aberdeen it varies. The first few years are more like visits where you go for two or three ours. Enough time to clerk in a patient and get a little teaching.

In the higher years it is longer :smile:
Original post by diamondsky99
It's not like a 9-5 type 'shift' pattern but at Cardiff the general idea is that you go in for 9 and leave around 4 or 5ish. You attending scheduled teaching sessions, tutorials, bedside teaching but also attend the ward round, beg someone to let you take their blood, speak to some patients, examine some patients etc. a lot of which is done in you own time.

Edit: Must add though that some get away with leaving at 2pm, 3pm or even earlier it depends on who's around and what's happening. Round exam time the pressure is more on to head to the library rather than stand around like a lemon if there's nothing to do :tongue:

Wait, so you just go up to a random patient and ask to examine them ?

Sounds bizarre
Original post by Orinincandenza

Sounds bizarre

You have to. For us the junior medical staff are supposed to find patients are 'appropriate' for us to examine i.e have something interesting but aren't too frail. Often they simply don't have the time or the patients we are allocated are away getting a scan/have been moved/have been discharged without anyone noticing :tongue:

It is much quicker if you simply ask a patient yourself. Make sure you explain who you are and what you would like to do, simples.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
You have to. For us the junior medical staff are supposed to find patients are 'appropriate' for us to examine i.e have something interesting but aren't too frail. Often they simply don't have the time or the patients we are allocated are away getting a scan/have been moved/have been discharged without anyone noticing :tongue:

It is much quicker if you simply ask a patient yourself. Make sure you explain who you are and what you would like to do, simples.

I see, i guess the whole being a med student thing would make it seem more legit than it sounds. For a lot of this stuff, i'm kinda hoping i'm going to be a different person in the a few years anyway. For instance (urinary) catheterising people, no way in hell i could do that now, but hopefully in a few years it'll be different, has that been your experience?
I see, i guess the whole being a med student thing would make it seem more legit than it sounds. For a lot of this stuff, i'm kinda hoping i'm going to be a different person in the a few years anyway. For instance (urinary) catheterising people, no way in hell i could do that now, but hopefully in a few years it'll be different, has that been your experience?

You do have a position of responsibility as a medical student. The uni are always going about ensuring we have valid insurance etc In return you have a certain degree of autonomy.

Your personality does develop quite quickly once you start :smile:
Reply 9
At newcastle final year students do night shift and stuff to prepare them for graduating but in the early years of med school student just vist (follow the other docs around, do some bloods maybe the odd history, but usually stand around looking scared.lol.).

I'm not a medical student but I work on a ward that constantly has med student on it.
Original post by anon2010
At newcastle final year students do night shift and stuff to prepare them for graduating but in the early years of med school student just vist (follow the other docs around, do some bloods maybe the odd history, but usually stand around looking scared.lol.).

I'm not a medical student but I work on a ward that constantly has med student on it.

I'm off to Newc this september to study medicine and this sounds awesome - although I probably won't be thinking that when the time comes.
Original post by Steerforth
..although I probably won't be thinking that when the time comes.

No you won't - I start a night shift at 8; it's friday night :frown:
Reply 12

Sounds bizarre

Bizarre, maybe. Its literally exactly what i spend my time doing now though :tongue:
Original post by nexttime
Bizarre, maybe. Its literally exactly what i spend my time doing now though :tongue:

And it's not uncomfortable ? (insert witty euphemism here)
Reply 14
And it's not uncomfortable ? (insert witty euphemism here)

Maybe sometimes. Generally you select the friendly ones though, and do remember that all patients do is sit in bed all day; they're mostly happy to just talk to someone! (often they talk way too much...) If they're not really ill, obviously.

And re catheters - as soon as you start to see people doing medical procedures and spend time on the wards where patients are regularly expected to expose themselves, it all becomes very normal to you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Maybe sometimes. Generally you select the friendly ones though, and do remember that all patients do is sit in bed all day; they're mostly happy to just talk to someone! (often they talk way too much...) If they're not really ill, obviously.

And re catheters - as soon as you start to see people doing medical procedures and spend time on the wards where patients are regularly expected to expose themselves, it all becomes very normal to you.

Oh yeah, i volunteer in a hospital and most of them are pretty good with just chatting.

re re catheters:That's good to hear, i'm kinda counting on that.
Original post by QofQuimica

re re catheters:That's good to hear, i'm kinda counting on that.

If you think that's bad, try sticking your finger up a tramps arse who hasn't washed for days.
Reply 17
Original post by digitalis
If you think that's bad, try sticking your finger up a tramps arse who hasn't washed for days.

How comes I was quoted in your post?

Quick Reply