The Student Room Group

Does anybody know why Oxbridge doesn't have course on P.E or Sports Science on offer?

I'm not going to Uni yet.. well for a few years in fact, but I was looking at their courses on offer and noticed that neither of the two offered neither Sports Science nor Physical Education as a course option.

Is there a specific reason for this?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because they're into traditional, academic degrees, I'd assume?
6/10. Good effort.
Reply 3
I don't think it's about tradition. They simply don't have the appropriate facilities for that. You can't start a university degree if you lack them.
Original post by Ivanka
I don't think it's about tradition. They simply don't have the appropriate facilities for that. You can't start a university degree if you lack them.

Nor would they allocate funding for it I don't think. They'd probably rather develop labs etc.
Reply 5
Oh right because being able to swim for miles and miles is academic excellence.
Reply 6
Oxbridge do proper degrees, like Maths and Natural Sciences.

Why neg, its true.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
P.E and Sports Science aren't academic subjects, and academics is what the Universities excel in.

Also, P.E. at A level is considered a "soft subject" by them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
it's an academic institution conducting high profile research, the university obviously sees little potential in sports science, if any. Basically they teach/ research the most important things to society.
(edited 12 years ago)
Because you don't need to go to university to understand how a trampoline works...
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha. NO.
Reply 11
Because offering it is a sign of being ****.
Reply 12
Nonsense. Cambridge does have such a course - Land Economy. They all look like athletes to me on that course...

Can't speak for oxford though and their snobby ways.
Reply 13
Original post by Ilyas
it's an academic institution conducting high profile research, the university obviously sees little potential in sports science, if any. Basically they teach/ research the most important things to society.

So in light of the looming obesity crisis and the crippling health costs placed on Western society by injuries, diseases and dysfunctions caused by a sedentary lifestyle, Exercise sciences and Physical Education are not "important things"?
Reply 14
Loads of you are mentioning that they only do "academic" subjects, yet you can find out that they also offer degrees in music and art (Oxford only) which entail a lot of practical work as well (or make up for the majority of the latter case, I guess?).
Reply 15
Original post by Ivanka
Loads of you are mentioning that they only do "academic" subjects, yet you can find out that they also offer degrees in music and art (Oxford only) which entail a lot of practical work as well (or make up for the majority of the latter case, I guess?).

But they don't involve sweat...

I would imagine there are multiple reasons why there are no Exercise Science type courses in Oxbridge rather than one simple one.

Just because they don't doesn't mean that the area can be looked down on or disregarded. It is an important area of research for developing ways of tackling societies health problems. Many of the top Universities in the US and the rest of the world run these type of courses.
Original post by DK_Tipp
So in light of the looming obesity crisis and the crippling health costs placed on Western society by injuries, diseases and dysfunctions caused by a sedentary lifestyle, Exercise sciences and Physical Education are not "important things"?

medicine
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by oh_1993
Oxbridge do proper degrees, like Maths and Natural Sciences.

Why neg, its true.

Does that mean you don't class Dentistry as a "proper" degree?
Reply 18
Original post by Ivanka

No, they don't comprise practical work. They're highly theoretical subjects, focusing on analysis and study. In the same way that English Literature doesn't actually mean writing poetry.

It just happens that anyone taking either will be highly musical or artistic, but they're beyond the level of actually studying the practical side. For example, one in my college is a concert-level pianist.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Fat-Love
Nonsense. Cambridge does have such a course - Land Economy. They all look like athletes to me on that course...

It's all the rowers they've imported from all over the world so they can battle against Oxford in the boat race. :wink:

<3 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending