The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Likely chances of actually getting in?

Hello.

I'm applying to Durham for 2013 entry in a joint honours degree in History and Arabic but I'm fairly certain I don't stand a chance. My GCSEs are average (for Durham that is) with 3 A*s 6 As. I'm predicted 39 in the IB with 776 at HL and 666 at SL and three core points. What chance do I realistically stand at getting in? :/
Based on your grades I'd say you do stand a chance; your IB predictions are very good and although your GCSEs may be "average" for Durham they're still good and I have friends here that didn't do as well. If you have a good personal statement/reference you definitely do stand a chance, go for it!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Calllu-m
Hello.

I'm applying to Durham for 2013 entry in a joint honours degree in History and Arabic but I'm fairly certain I don't stand a chance. My GCSEs are average (for Durham that is) with 3 A*s 6 As. I'm predicted 39 in the IB with 776 at HL and 666 at SL and three core points. What chance do I realistically stand at getting in? :/

776 is an amazing IB score to be predicted so definitely don't worry about that! Yes there will be some people with better GCSEs than you, but there will also be people with worse ones. Make sure you make your PS really good - use the information on the website. For joint honours I think it's really important to show why you want to do the subjects together - how they interrelate and combine etc, so it doesn't just look like you are interested in 2 subjects and can't decide which one to do. If you're interested in Arabic history/politics talk about that (especially relevant now with the Arab spring!) and why you would benefit from studying Arabic language and literature as well as history (informs your view of history, better access to primary sources?), maybe why it would be good for your historical interests to be able to study history during your year abroad in the middle east.

Also remember you get 5 ucas choices! So even if you do get rejected from Durham, then you'll still have 4 other choices. Just make sure you have one or two sensible insurance choices.
Original post by undergradstudent
776 is an amazing IB score to be predicted so definitely don't worry about that! Yes there will be some people with better GCSEs than you, but there will also be people with worse ones. Make sure you make your PS really good - use the information on the website. For joint honours I think it's really important to show why you want to do the subjects together - how they interrelate and combine etc, so it doesn't just look like you are interested in 2 subjects and can't decide which one to do. If you're interested in Arabic history/politics talk about that (especially relevant now with the Arab spring!) and why you would benefit from studying Arabic language and literature as well as history (informs your view of history, better access to primary sources?), maybe why it would be good for your historical interests to be able to study history during your year abroad in the middle east.

Also remember you get 5 ucas choices! So even if you do get rejected from Durham, then you'll still have 4 other choices. Just make sure you have one or two sensible insurance choices.

Thank you so much :biggrin: yeah I have interlinked History and Arabic. I lived in the Middle East so that gives me a wee advantage. I have two sensible insurances (SOAS and Exeter) so I will hopefully be going somewhere. :biggrin:
Reply 4
My GCSE's are lower than yours, and I'm predicted a similar IB score and I have an offer from Durham so I would say go for it! Your GCSE's are good, and having a high IB prediction shows that you're capable :smile: good luck! Xxxx
Hello.

Eh? I got 3A* 6A too and got an offer no problem. I wouldn't worry. The two most important things for Durham are IB grades/predictions and personal statement.
Reply 6
Hello.

You certainly stand a chance. A great deal of the thought that admissions tutors will put into the consideration of your application will be directed at your Personal Statement, as well as the reference you get from your teacher. You should work hard on producing the clearest, well written and focused PS that you can, and hope that your teacher extols your strengths and potential in an engaging manner in your reference. Don't hold your breath, because the success rate for people applying for my subject (single honours History) is around 8%, or at least it was in the last academic year, but joint honours are often a little less fiercely competitive, and you won't know unless you apply!

May I ask what other universities you're considering applying to? Best wishes, and good luck with your Durham application. (I guess by now you've had a response?)
Original post by SebCross
You certainly stand a chance. A great deal of the thought that admissions tutors will put into the consideration of your application will be directed at your Personal Statement, as well as the reference you get from your teacher. You should work hard on producing the clearest, well written and focused PS that you can, and hope that your teacher extols your strengths and potential in an engaging manner in your reference. Don't hold your breath, because the success rate for people applying for my subject (single honours History) is around 8%, or at least it was in the last academic year, but joint honours are often a little less fiercely competitive, and you won't know unless you apply!

May I ask what other universities you're considering applying to? Best wishes, and good luck with your Durham application. (I guess by now you've had a response?)

My reference should be good and my PS is okay still needs tweaeking. I haven't applied yet, not applying till summer.

St Andrews, Edinburgh, Exeter and SOAS
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by vedderfan94
Eh? I got 3A* 6A too and got an offer no problem. I wouldn't worry. The two most important things for Durham are IB grades/predictions and personal statement.

for history?
No, for Physics, but they are both competitive subjects. The point I was making is that people place too much emphasis on GCSEs when they are applying for university. You'll be fine.
My reference should be good and my PS is okay still needs tweaeking. I haven't applied yet, not applying till summer.

Here's some info about personal statements and applications:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/arts/what/

http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/admissions/ucas_codes/

http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/admissions/personalstatement/

Good luck!
Reply 11

Nice. Very good uni's. Good for you. Exeter is a brilliant uni' - have you visited yet?
Nice. Very good uni's. Good for you. Exeter is a brilliant uni' - have you visited yet?

Yeah I have i liked it bud my dad is against me going there because its so far from home
Reply 13
Yeah I have i liked it bud my dad is against me going there because its so far from home

Oh right - where's home for you then? I've never given a second thought about Scottish universities, actually, because of the higher fee rates for English students (the fact that an English student will be paying more at a Scottish uni' over a four year undergraduate degree course than at an English institution where the degree is three years in length, if we assume for the sake of argument that each charges an equivalent fee of £9,000 per year, as St Andrews and Edinburgh have been given permission to do. Perhaps I was wrong to come to a judgement so quickly. What did you think of St Andrews, for instance? Edinburgh as a city I know quite well, having visited four or five times, though not for a number of years; I'm sure their university is excellent.
Oh right - where's home for you then? I've never given a second thought about Scottish universities, actually, because of the higher fee rates for English students (the fact that an English student will be paying more at a Scottish uni' over a four year undergraduate degree course than at an English institution where the degree is three years in length, if we assume for the sake of argument that each charges an equivalent fee of £9,000 per year, as St Andrews and Edinburgh have been given permission to do. Perhaps I was wrong to come to a judgement so quickly. What did you think of St Andrews, for instance? Edinburgh as a city I know quite well, having visited four or five times, though not for a number of years; I'm sure their university is excellent.

Edinburgh haha. Scottish unis are excellent just only 2 offer my course. I get it free if i stay YAY :smile: St Andrews was amazing. It'll be my insurance if i hopefully get an offer. It's basically the Oxford/Cambridge/Durham of Scotland. Very quaint etc. And there's beaches. Edinburgh is excellent too but having lived here i'm not sure i want to stay.
Reply 15
Edinburgh haha. Scottish unis are excellent just only 2 offer my course. I get it free if i stay YAY :smile: St Andrews was amazing. It'll be my insurance if i hopefully get an offer. It's basically the Oxford/Cambridge/Durham of Scotland. Very quaint etc. And there's beaches. Edinburgh is excellent too but having lived here i'm not sure i want to stay.

Mmm that must be very attractive then. Having been born and raised in Oxford and having lived here all my life, and having applied to Cambridge and Durham in the past, I'm quite well versed in how the prestige factor, added to beautiful and quaint architecture and surroundings, is very attractive. Good luck with (hopefully) getting an offer from St Andrews and not to worry if you don't; all the places you've applied to are very good. Hope all's going well?

Quick Reply

Latest