The Student Room Group

UK: Is spitting on someone illegal?

Shame I had to create a thread to ask this, but hey it is what it is.

So I got off the train and was walking to my mates car when this female started verbally abusing me. Big girl with bright pink hair.

I told her to ef off.

She persued me and spat on me:angry:

So I spat on her:rolleyes:

She tried getting close enough to assault me, be it with her nails her bag or her fists. So I did some kind of whatever it was and made her fall over (this was after much warning to go away) she was going out of her way to get in my way.

I didn't hit her I just restrained her would be the word I think. Maybe a Judo type move.

So is spitting on someone illegal?

And would what I did be classed as self defense as I did feel threatened?

T'was a good night until this point.

And no I had not been drinking.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i believe its assault but i could be wrong
im pretty sure its illegal to spit in public so i'll be damned if its not illegal to spit on someone not only is it incredibly vulgar but just plain rude, of course unless they do it first :wink:
Original post by SubAtomic
Shame I had to create a thread to ask this, but hey it is what it is.

So I got off the train and was walking to my mates car when this female started verbally abusing me. Big girl with bright pink hair.

I told her to ef off.

She persued me and spat on me:angry:

So I spat on her:rolleyes:

She tried getting close enough to assault me, be it with her nails her bag or her fists. So I did some kind of whatever it was and made her fall over (this was after much warning to go away) she was going out of her way to get in my way.

I didn't hit her I just restrained her would be the word I think. Maybe a Judo type move.

So is spitting on someone illegal?

And would what I did be classed as self defense as I did feel threatened?

T'was a good night until this point.

And no I had not been drinking.

Spitting is technically illegal yes, as it would come under a battery. However it is highly unlikely to ever come to anything, as it is a very trivial thing, having no real effect on the other person who spat at you also, so they would be doing as much damage to themselves by trying to get you done as you could claim it the other way.

As for the other part, self-defence would likely succeed. It must be reasonable for you to expect some kind of harm to be done to yourself (which by what you have said seems to be the case), and the action you took must be reasonable, which it likely was because you didn't punch her in the face, just pushed her away and walked away. Nothing over the top there.

I think you're safe mate. People get away with worse everyday.
I'm pretty sure she's not going to try to prosecute you... Spitting on someone probably is illegal.. and I suppose if she wouldn't leave you alone then maybe harassment? or drunk and disorderly? disturbing the peace? I should think it would come under at least one of those.
Reply 4
its illegal.

if you get spat on, you actually need to go to the hospital to get checked...(cos you can get all sorts of transferable diseases!)

Cops get spit on all the time, and they have to undergo check ups every time it happens.

It is definitely illegal, and you could press charges, but then again you spat back :/
Reply 5
This was totally unprovoked by yourself I take it?
Reply 6
Oh yeah, anyway bus drivers and tube staff carry 'spit kits' so they can get the dna of anyone spitting on them. It the cops match it they prosecute.
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
This was totally unprovoked by yourself I take it?

He called her fat.
Why is this in the academic help with law forum? :confused:
Yes, it's a battery.

You can use self defence as to the "making her fall over" so long as you were genuinely acting in self defence; you must not have been acting for retribution, though you needn't have attempted to back away to show that: Bird.

You can't use self defence for spitting back. Retaliatory action is not self defence. 'Fraid you're a criminal :frown:
It is illegal but this is the type of thing police don't really care about. Spitting is filthy, it is bad that is was a girl because then there isn't much you can do but if a lad did that I would smash his face as much as possible. Its strange because when someone punches me in the face it doesn't make me angry but that would make me go nuts, even though it is just a case of wiping it off.
Reply 11
I am in the UK so does battery even come into it?

And yes completely unprovoked by me, I was subject to a tirade of verbal abuse so I said ef off and then said situation occured.

Thinking about it she must have thought I was the sheep or something as there were three of us and she singled me out.

Posted in law forum as where better to get a quick reply on UK laws :wink:.

So Timmona I should have let her verbally abuse me and spit on me without retaliatory action? I am not a mug. Children and people usually learn that when a situation they have created becomes uncomfortable for them not to do it again.

Anyway thanks to those of you who have answered my question as I was definitely in the right from what you have said.

I am a calm guy but I detest spitting so I had my eye for an eye mentality when she ran in front of me and spat in my face, like a knee jerk reaction.

Do I really need to get checked:confused:

All the best.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SubAtomic

So Timmona I should have let her verbally abuse me and spit on me without retaliatory action? I am not a mug. Children and people usually learn that when a situation they have created becomes uncomfortable for them not to do it again.

Legally, yes. Don't blame me bro, I'm giving facts.
Situations like this,

If someone gave verbal abuse to someone, you'd warn them politely, 1st, 2nd and if they continue to shout verbal abuse, then a 3rd warning comes to action. Whether it was a drunk person, little kid or not.

Though your way of handling the situation....

Anyhow...what's done is done. Yes spitting is a vile thing. Most people don't know how to react in situations like this because it's not common.
Reply 14
Ain't that self defence? :s-smilie:
Afterall, it was her who initiated the assault on him :confused:
Original post by XXchachaXX
Ain't that self defence? :s-smilie:
Afterall, it was her who initiated the assault on him :confused:

Spitting on someone isn't defending yourself from being spat at.
There's a difference between self-defence and tit for tat.
Reply 16
Original post by TimmonaPortella

You can't use self defence for spitting back. Retaliatory action is not self defence. 'Fraid you're a criminal :frown:

Innocent until proven guilty surely?
Original post by Norton1
Innocent until proven guilty surely?

He just confessed on a public forum - I think he was innocent till he proved himself guilty :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Legally, yes. Don't blame me bro, I'm giving facts.

Not blaming anyone bro, what happened happened and am happy to fight fire with fire if I am put into that situation and cannot talk my way out.

Whatever happens to someone serves them right if they initiate the situation by being completely out of order, be it with some psycho or a what may look like pushover like me.

The law is not always right. And we all know that as a fact.

Cheers:smile:

She was warned again and again to walk away as I was walking to where I needed to be.

She became threatening and I don't fancy getting my eyes scratched or being injured by some crazy idiot male or female, I would have used much more force on a fella.

Prevention is better than cure.

Also I hate girls who spit.
(edited 11 years ago)
iss assault

Latest