The Student Room Group

Alevels help..

The subjects that I'm going to be doing for next year (year 12) are
Maths,English lang and lit combined, Chemistry, Biology.....Where can these subjects lead to?, and can an average student be able to get good grades in these subjects ?
I also wanted to know if "The Ravensbounre school" (Bromley) is a good school for sixthform? or should be considering somewhere els ?
Many thankss
Pretty much anything to do with biology and/or chemistry, medicine, vet. science.
Your options for uni are the medical sciences (e.g. medicine, pharmacy) and depending on the uni you could also go into film studies. And Law is always an option as long as you don't drop English Lit & Lang. Also accounting with maths.

And for that school, I have no idea. Unless it's a private school, Uni's don't give two damns about what school you come from as long as you get the grades. In fact, lets say your predicted A*A*A and go to a comprehensive, they may (I repeat may) favour you. But the school doesn't really matter much, as long as it teaches.
[UPDATE]

Wikipedia isn't the best source, but I found this:

Ravensbourne gets GCSEs a lot below the England average each year, and A levels well under the England average. GCSE examination results including English and Maths fell every year from 47% in 2006 to 37% in 2009.
The results left the school the second lowest performing in the borough of Bromley.
In 2010 the school's results seemed to show improvement but closer analysis revaled that this was achieved largely through the its use of 'equivalent' qualifications and without these the school stayed second bottom of the borough with 35% A*-C grades, only Kelsey Park achieving lower.
Results for the English Baccalaurate were also low with only 8% of students achieving the necessary results to earn the qualification.
In 2011 the school was joint bottom of the borough in the measurement for students achieving five good A*-C GCSE's with less than half (44%) achieving the necessary measurement. Results for the English Baccalaureate also fell to 7%. With vocational qualifications included it achieved 57%.
Reply 4
Original post by SweetChilliSauce

And for that school, I have no idea. Unless it's a private school, Uni's don't give two damns about what school you come from as long as you get the grades. In fact, lets say your predicted A*A*A and go to a comprehensive, they may (I repeat may) favour you. But the school doesn't really matter much, as long as it teaches.

This is definitely true of some universities. I was talking to a staff member from Exeter University and they said they had schools in 2 groups, one of high-achieving schools and one of low-achieving and if you were in the latter you'd usually get an offer at the lower end of the the advertised grade range. I didn't even have the subject requirements for the course I applied for but I still managed to get an offer, I think the fact I'm predicted A*A*A from a pretty rubbish college might have worked in my favour. So it doesn't really matter what school you go to as most universities look at each applicant in context of what they've achieved compared to those around them and whether they feel they would flourish at university :smile:

Oh and your subjects look great by the way. I was under the impression that English Literature was more respected than the combined course if that's of any importance to your decision but actually, having said that, I know someone who took it to A2 who got an offer from Cambridge so it's obviously not that significant!
Reply 5
Thanks alot :smile: very usefull....so should I not consider applying for different schools?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending