The Student Room Group

Would you let me tutor your kids?

Would you be comfortable with a 16 year old tutoring your kid?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your grades tell the story + your past experience means I think you will be rolling in the rich parents' money!
Reply 2
You have good credentials, go ahead and advertise, although your best business is likely to come from word of mouth. If people are put off by your age, then consider an alternative.
Reply 3
Are you crb checked?
Your age would definitely be something to be wary about because you'd see how old you are and get the idea that you don't have enough experience yourself. However, if I were to interview you and you told me everything you've posted here, I'd say that you have a pretty good chance of being hired.
Reply 5
you should ask the parents of the kids you have tutored in the past to recommend you to their friends/family
Reply 6
Original post by plimsolls
Are you crb checked?

Yep I have 2 actually...lol (for two different volunteering posts)
Original post by ak395
Yep I have 2 actually...lol (for two different volunteering posts)

I would definitely mention that in your advert- from past experience, that makes can make a lot of difference in the mind of a parent.
Reply 8
Original post by ak395
I am 16 years old (year 11) and want to advertise to tutor year 6 students in maths to prepare them for secondary school during the summer holidays. I am planning to tutor a group of 4 for £10 an hour per child.

I have been home schooled throughout secondary school and have self-taught a lot. In year 8 I completed maths GCSE and got an A* grade 3 years early. I've achieved 7 A* grades at GCSE early and am predicted another 3 A*s this year. In january I did my AS level maths one and a half year early and got an A overall (Marks for each module: 99, 93 and 86.)

I have tutored kids aged 5-15 in Arabic since I was 12, so that's 4 years now. I have also tutored a year 8 student in maths for about a year and she recently went up a whole level in one term. My tutees' parents have commented on how well I manage the kids and how patient I am with them. I recently helped my cousin and a friend revise for GCSE Maths and they both commented on how they understand concepts when I explain them better than when the teacher does.

I now want to advertise to the general public but am afraid that people may not want me to tutor their kids due to my age but I believe that being younger is actually an advantage to me because I remember what methods helped me to understand concepts and this reflects in my tutoring.

Subtract 258 from your username, then yes.
Reply 9
Original post by ak395
I am 16 years old (year 11) and want to advertise to tutor year 6 students in maths to prepare them for secondary school during the summer holidays. I am planning to tutor a group of 4 for £10 an hour per child.

I have been home schooled throughout secondary school and have self-taught a lot. In year 8 I completed maths GCSE and got an A* grade 3 years early. I've achieved 7 A* grades at GCSE early and am predicted another 3 A*s this year. In january I did my AS level maths one and a half year early and got an A overall (Marks for each module: 99, 93 and 86.)

I have tutored kids aged 5-15 in Arabic since I was 12, so that's 4 years now. I have also tutored a year 8 student in maths for about a year and she recently went up a whole level in one term. My tutees' parents have commented on how well I manage the kids and how patient I am with them. I recently helped my cousin and a friend revise for GCSE Maths and they both commented on how they understand concepts when I explain them better than when the teacher does.

I now want to advertise to the general public but am afraid that people may not want me to tutor their kids due to my age but I believe that being younger is actually an advantage to me because I remember what methods helped me to understand concepts and this reflects in my tutoring.

Did you ask just so that you could show off your GCSE marks? Be honest? :tongue:

You evidently have the credentials, so providing you have the ability to interact well with children it shouldn't be a problem. That said, £10 per hour in a group of four seems a bit pricey for a sixteen year old tutor.
Reply 10
Not gunna lie. I don't think I would want you tutoring my kids.
You sound like a bit of a protensious (spl?) prick!
Reply 11
Original post by goape
Subtract 258 from your username, then yes.

AK137? Were you trying to get to AK47? I think you need a maths tutor! :giggle:
Reply 12
Original post by M1011
Did you ask just so that you could show off your GCSE marks? Be honest? :tongue:

You evidently have the credentials, so providing you have the ability to interact well with children it shouldn't be a problem. That said, £10 per hour in a group of four seems a bit pricey for a sixteen year old tutor.

NOOO.... I did not.. seriously....

What do u think would be an ideal rate?
Reply 13
Original post by M1011

No, I do mean ak137.
Original post by M1011

Nah, he means this guy :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by ak395
NOOO.... I did not.. seriously....

What do u think would be an ideal rate?

I don't really know to be honest. Perhaps I'm wrong, but not many people your age make £40 an hour.

Original post by goape
No, I do mean ak137.

Original post by AkaJetson
Nah, he means this guy :tongue:

Seemed to good to be true on a maths tutor thread :mad:
Original post by ak395

They would have to be cruel parents to make their kids do work in the Summer holidays.
Reply 17
Original post by M1011
I don't really know to be honest. Perhaps I'm wrong, but not many people your age make £40 an hour.

Seemed to good to be true on a maths tutor thread :mad:

I think an ak47 is a pretty brutal way to teach maths. :tongue:
Reply 18
I don't really remember learning anything much for the first few years of secondary school anyways, so I'm not sure there's much of a market for between primary and secondary tutoring?
£10 an hour is steep for a 16 year old. Especially as that's for a group of four - for that sort of money you'd expect one-on-one tuition.

Honestly, no offence, but no I wouldn't pay you to tutor my kids.

Quick Reply

Latest