The Student Room Group

18 pregnant and want to go UNI!

Scroll to see replies

My boyfriend's sister is 18, with a baby and coping fine with uni. I believe it's very possible to do if you KNOW you can put your mind to it.

Edit: What does the father do? He could babysit while you're busy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Why are people mentioning Abortion. You cruel cruel people. :fuhrer:

People come and go, few do anything that contributes to the world, she can kill that baby and have another in 4-5 years and there would be 0 difference.
Reply 42
Original post by ITGIRL
Yes Love, university is extremely easy and you will cope just fine. :confused: Is this what you want people to say?

Are you even in the correct mind state cause you seem like you're incapable of thinking rationally.

Of course I'm not suggesting it is not possible, of course their is a 1% chance. However if you are going to lower tier university then you might actually find more people like you....

To be honest you need to take time out and re think life....

EDIT: Why neg me? My opinion is justified would you prefer i say she should have abortion???

1% chance? Lol. You can get away with very little work at good universities so long as you've got a brain on your shoulders. Perhaps not the top few but mid-table uni's? Easy.
Original post by slylee
Ha, why? My mom wasn't 18 and in university. If anyone should be aborted it's dicks who act self richeous.

Neither is OP
My mum went to uni when I was 4 and my sister was 1. It was a lot of work, but she ended up with a first. You can do it! Good luck :smile:
[QUOTE="Vanilla*Pod;37140655"]
Original post by ITGIRL
Yes, Love university is extremely easy and you will cope just fine. :confused: Is this what you want people to say?

Are you even in the correct mind state cause you seem like you're incapable of thinking rationally.

Of course I'm not suggesting it is not possible, of course their is a 1% chance. However if you are going to lower tier university then you might actually find more people like you....

To be honest you need to take time out and re think life....[/QUOTE

How snobbish and patronising is that above post!

The girl only came on here for some advice.. no need to be so judgmental.

I'm just about to graduate from a Russel Group university and a guy in one of my classes has just had a kid.

It IS possible, you just have to consider everything and prepare yourself for some intense work.

Personally, I recommend not going- enjoy that time with your baby, they are only that young once!
But if you have family who can support you with love, child care, and finances then live your life too and go!

Didn't know guys could have kids:banana:
Reply 46
Get an abortion and have an awesome time at uni?
Reply 47
funny+zach+braff+quote+on+abortion.jpg
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
My flatmate in first year got pregnant and kept the baby, she would commute in two hours to uni for every lecture she had in second year and leave the kid with her (by then) husband and his parents. He had to turn down his uni placement to raise the child, and in the end she failed her second year. It is no easy task having a kid at uni, and she didn't even give birth in term time.
Reply 49
Good luck with the baby and completing an education. It won't be easy.
If she wanted to have an abortion she would've mentioned it. What is with people thinking it is cool to have a blasé attitude towards abortion.
Reply 51
Original post by Dominic101
If she wanted to have an abortion she would've mentioned it. What is with people thinking it is cool to have a blasé attitude towards abortion.

It's expected for some people to have that reaction. 18 and pregnant don't sit well together.
Reply 52
i think its wierd how many people are suggesting abortion with the same kind of attitude as if she was deciding what flavour ice cream to try. yes, your uni experience is important but abortions and the experience of having one stay with somebody for the rest of their life. thats not something that should be an easy decision.

i'd suggest deferring for a year :smile: that way you get to go to uni, and to be around for your child's first few months :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by Miracle Day
congratulations :smile:

:confused:
Reply 54
And so the abortion debate starts again...:rolleyes:
Reply 55
Original post by Iron Lady
:confused:

My thoughts exactly.:s-smilie:
you can still wait for another 1 or 2 years...i took a gap year after high school, and then i went to uni but then i found out that i was in the wrong course. i'm turning 21 this september and i'm starting uni now...so yes, it can wait. you can use this time to work part-time and decide if it's really psychology that you want to study. you'd have to dedicate all your time to uni and i'm not gonna lie, you won't be able to enjoy the whole experience with the baby, especially a new-born. so, my advice is, yes, just wait. however, i don't think you are really aware of how difficult giving birth and raising a baby is, since you are considering going to uni at the same time, which indicates immaturity. you will have endless doctor appointments, some days you won't even feel like leaving your bed, and when the baby is born you would have to be there for him/her all the time. young babies need attention, they wake you up at night, if they have a fever or so you have to run to the doctor, no matter what time. do you really think you could do well in an exam if you spend half of your night taking care of your baby? you might be able to get a degree, but you are going to work harder than most of us.

just think your decision through...are you REALLY prepared to take care of a baby? are you financially and emotionally prepared? are you willing to throw your youth in the rubbish and not have the experiences that university students should have? it's up to you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kay26
Hello just wanted advice really...

I recently found out that i'm pregnant (baby due mid December).
I'm finishing my A-levels and i'm due to start university in sept/oct this year.
I don't want to put it off another year as i've already retaken the year at college for my AS however I also don't want to have to take time away from the baby once he/she is born.

The father is around and although I haven't told my family, I believe they will be more than supportive once the initial shock is over! what is the best thing to do?!

I'm going to be taking psychology and was also wondering how many hours/ days i would be doing?
Thank you! :smile:

Firstly, I can't believe all the negs you're getting, I think it's great that you're having somewhat of a hurdle and still trying to carry on with plans.

My mum got pregnant with me while at uni, and took her final exam pregnant. That being said, she was not at the beginning of her course.

In terms of suggestions:
- Open University may be a good idea so you can parent and get your degree]
- If the father is able to look after the child, you could be able to do both

Universities should take circumstances into account, though not to extremes . . .

Hope that helps!
Also, if you take a year out, whether you intercalate or defer then when the baby is a little older, you could always use some of your time volunteering in the field you want to work. This will bump up your experience for job prospects when you graduate, especially as psychology is so tough. Just like one afternoon a week or something?

Use the time wisely, this will show your dedication to your chosen career path.
OP put baby first and take a year or 2 off. The first year of a baby's life is the most important, so it's better that he/she gets your full attention during those times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending