The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Nursing at De Montfort Sep 2012

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know where mental health placements will be?

And also, when are holidays? If its a 44week course, how long do you get off at Christmas? Or are on placement then?
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by *starbuck*
Does anyone know where mental health placements will be?

And also, when are holidays? If its a 44week course, how long do you get off at Christmas? Or are on placement then?

not sure about the mental health placements,

but from what ive heard of other universities its 2 weeks off at christmas, 2 at easter i think and 4 in the summer
Original post by clareeyy
not sure about the mental health placements,

but from what ive heard of other universities its 2 weeks off at christmas, 2 at easter i think and 4 in the summer

Whilst I'm not MH Branch I can tell you that MH placements can be in a huge variety of places, from acute units at the likes of Glenfield Hospital and The General, through to community-based placements at various day centres etc throughout Leicestershire and everything in between.

At Christmas we had a reading week and two weeks off, at Easter we will be having two weeks and there is a three week break half-way through the eleven week branch placement during the summer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by James1977
Whilst I'm not MH Branch (I'm Adult Branch) I can tell you that MH placements can be in a huge variety of places, from acute units at the likes of Glenfield Hospital and The General, through to community-based placements at various day centres etc throughout Leicestershire and everything in between. Placements are a bit of a bone of contention at De Montfort because the Work Based Learning Unit struggles getting placements at times, especially for MH and LD branches.

At Christmas we had a reading week and two weeks off, at Easter we will be having two weeks and there is a three week break half-way through the eleven week branch placement during the summer.

I'm applying for adult nursing at DMU are the placements hard to get to?
They try to place you near to where you live but invariably, given the amount of students needing placements and the fact you can't really get a rounded experience if you camp out in the LRI for three years, many placements take place in more rural and awkward to get to parts of Leicestershire.

Other than those in London all unis suffer from issues relating to rural placements to one degree of another.
Reply 65
Anyone due to study Mental Health nursing in Sept 2012 at DMU? Any information from the university like pre-course assignments or something of that nature.
Reply 66
Just accepted a conditional offer with a firm for child nursing, anyone else doing this? :biggrin: & applying to live in waterway gardens? so excited!

xxxx
Reply 67
Hi, i've made DMU my firm offer and its conditional, i'm hoping to do child nursing in sept 2012-anyone else?
I was looking at accomadation and are all nursing/midwiffery students applying for Waterway gardens or applying to other accomodation-i just wondered because i cant decide if i want to be in Waerway gardens or not or if living in one of the other accomodations you can integrate into the uni more and meet other people doing different courses?
Reply 68
Just made De Montfort my firm for adult nursing, has anyone applied for accomodation yet?
Reply 69
Page for this years freshers on fb (: http://www.facebook.com/Liss92#!/DMUFreshers2012 xx
Original post by trixieblue
........or if living in one of the other accomodations you can integrate into the uni more and meet other people doing different courses?

Little word of warning, integrating with folk doing other degrees sounds great until you start doing practice placements. As many folk who didn't get into nursing-specific accommodation found out, those hall parties are great until you need to get to sleep for an early shift.

This is the reason why many universities arrange separate accommodation for nurses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by James1977
Little word of warning, integrating with folk doing other degrees sounds great until you start doing practice placements. As many folk who didn't get into nursing-specific accommodation found out, those hall parties are great until you need to get to sleep for an early shift.

This is the reason why many universities arrange separate accommodation for nurses.

Thanks that was the main reason i had for staying in nursing specific accomdation :smile:
Reply 72
Hi, i've made DMU my firm offer and its conditional, i'm hoping to do child nursing in sept 2012-anyone else?
I was looking at accomadation and are all nursing/midwiffery students applying for Waterway gardens or applying to other accomodation-i just wondered because i cant decide if i want to be in Waerway gardens or not or if living in one of the other accomodations you can integrate into the uni more and meet other people doing different courses?

Hi i'm doing the same course as you! yes i'm hoping to get a place in waterway, it looks really nice :smile: whats subjects do you do now? whereabouts are you from? i do biology, psychology and english & i'm from coventry :biggrin: i'm so excited! when do we hear about the nhs bursary does anyone know? xxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 73
Original post by emmieaston
Hi i'm doing the same course as you! yes i'm hoping to get a place in waterway, it looks really nice :smile: whats subjects do you do now? whereabouts are you from? i do biology, psychology and english & i'm from coventry :biggrin: i'm so excited! when do we hear about the nhs bursary does anyone know? xxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh wow thats cool :smile: I'm doing Human biology, psychology and geography. I'm from just outside York. I'm not sure i'm waiting for my parents income info to do my finance and i thought we just appyed for the bursary at the same time? I'm swinging more towards Waterway gardens now just so i can be with people in the same situation as me for nursing :smile:
Reply 74
Uhm guys.. can I ask which or what types of scenarios will they ask for the interview? Im really dreading this part of the interview as the rest i think ill be alright with :s-smilie:
Reply 75
Oh wow thats cool :smile: I'm doing Human biology, psychology and geography. I'm from just outside York. I'm not sure i'm waiting for my parents income info to do my finance and i thought we just appyed for the bursary at the same time? I'm swinging more towards Waterway gardens now just so i can be with people in the same situation as me for nursing :smile:

ah cool :smile: no you don't apply for the bursary at the same time, you do that separately but you are supposed to get a letter from them after dmu send our information to the bursary department, but i haven't received this yet :s and yeah i really want to stay in waterway gardens it looks really nice :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by emmieaston
ah cool :smile: no you don't apply for the bursary at the same time, you do that separately but you are supposed to get a letter from them after dmu send our information to the bursary department, but i haven't received this yet :s and yeah i really want to stay in waterway gardens it looks really nice :smile:

Ohh haha thanks :smile: I hate all this waiting around for things, just want to get it all done and finished so theres nothing to panic about not having done!
Reply 77
Ohh haha thanks :smile: I hate all this waiting around for things, just want to get it all done and finished so theres nothing to panic about not having done!

I knoW! i emailed them and they said they will send us info about the bursary in june :smile: does the bursary count towards accommodation do you know?
Reply 78
Original post by kimmeeeh
Uhm guys.. can I ask which or what types of scenarios will they ask for the interview? Im really dreading this part of the interview as the rest i think ill be alright with :s-smilie:

I got given a scenario about a little boy who was having his tonsils out, they just ask you to summarize it, then ask 1 or 2 questions about how you would react in certain situations :smile: it was really easy, just be yourself! the rest of the interview is really easy i felt at ease, they just ask you why your chosen branch, abit about yourself & how you have prepared for the interview/how youd cope with uni life

good luck, i'm sure it will go fine! what branch are you applying for?
I've put conditional firm for children's nursing at dmu and am hoping to get waterway gardens for housing am I supposed to have anything for the crb check through yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending