The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Received Conditional Offer From Bangor, Whats It Like?

As title says, I've got an offer!!! yay!!! It's my top choice, so what's life like at bangor? Do they have any gyms/sport facilities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wizzar
As title says, I've got an offer!!! yay!!! It's my top choice, so what's life like at bangor? Do they have any gyms/sport facilities?

Its quite scary that you have applied and recieved an offer yet do not know if they have gym or sport facilities. :s-smilie:
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TickTackToe
Its quite scary that you have applied and recieved an offer yet do not know if they have gym or sport facilities. :s-smilie:

Not really, I would like there to be a gym but if there isn't I'm not bothered tbh, It's just bangors small, small I wanted students to let me know if there's a public gym close to the uni, you get me bruv?
I have an offer for Bangor too! :smile: Of course they have a gym, it may be small but it's just like any other town (technically it's a city...) You should go and visit, it's beautiful.
Reply 4
Nice! Now this is what I call motivation! The prospect Of swimming in the sea in September!
Reply 5
Technically 3 Gyms. 1 University run, one small one in the public swimming baths and the Hardcore gym down town
Reply 6
DW is probably the best around if you're more than willing to pay £20 a month, but quite a walk away from campus.
Reply 7
^ Thanks all!
Bangor is a lovely city. I don't go to uni there but I'm local and I went to school there and go out there a lot. Also, my sister went to uni there. The nightlife isn't on the scale of a larger city which is to be expected but there's a great variety of bars and pubs and a couple of clubs. You can go out on a student budget as the drink prices are really cheap and there are 2 pound a pint nights a week and many drinks offers on student nights in Embassy or Octagon which are the 2 main clubs. Everything is in walking distance if you live in the halls on Friddoedd Road. Town is 5 minutes away, Main Arts Building is 5 minutes away. Also, upper Bangor is just down the road and has some great pubs and bars, some kebab houses, a Morrisons and Late Stop, a 24h shop which is always handy! It's got a really nice atmosphere and you'll feel safe there. It's surrounded by mountains, beaches and countryside and has a really fascinating history. All in all, it's a great place to go to uni! I would have gone there myself if I wasn't so local, I fancied a change of scene :smile: but I reckon I'll go there for my postgrad. Highly recommend Bangor! :biggrin:
Original post by AliceMarilyn

You've just managed to make me even more motivated for my exams, i need to get a place there in September!!!
Reply 10
Original post by wizzar

They've got a gym/sports facilities at the main accommodation site called Maes Glas. I believe its something like £20 per month to sign up. The gym is quite modern and the area has a wide range of sporting facilities.

There's also DW which offers 20£ off peak student fare. This is world class, with a pool and sauna. However, its about 45 minutes away from the main accommodation (Frid) and half an hour away from the main university, so a pretty good walk
Original post by dgeorge
They've got a gym/sports facilities at the main accommodation site called Maes Glas. I believe its something like £20 per month to sign up. The gym is quite modern and the area has a wide range of sporting facilities.

There's also DW which offers 20£ off peak student fare. This is world class, with a pool and sauna. However, its about 45 minutes away from the main accommodation (Frid) and half an hour away from the main university, so a pretty good walk

Quite easy to get a bus to it from town though. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by AliceMarilyn
Quite easy to get a bus to it from town though. :smile:

True, but then its over £3 per trip, which means if you even only go twice a week, you've paid more than your gym membership! Which is ok, as long as you can afford it of course, but for a broke guy like me, thats another story
Original post by dgeorge
True, but then its over £3 per trip, which means if you even only go twice a week, you've paid more than your gym membership! Which is ok, as long as you can afford it of course, but for a broke guy like me, thats another story

Good point. I have a bus pass so I forget how much it costs :P
Reply 14
i havnt applied to bangor, but ive grown up just 10minutes away so if theres anything you want to know about the area, feel free to ask:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dgeorge

Woah!! 45 minutes?! It takes me about 20-25 minutes to walk there from ffriddoedd site and it didn't stop me going 3/4 times a week in first year when I lived there. I'm guessing you walked a different way or something?!
Reply 16
Original post by jellybeansx
Woah!! 45 minutes?! It takes me about 20-25 minutes to walk there from ffriddoedd site and it didn't stop me going 3/4 times a week in first year when I lived there. I'm guessing you walked a different way or something?!

25 minutes? I'd like to see you time yourself, cause I lived quite a bit CLOSER and it still took me half an hour (lived on high street opposite to the green kebab shop)

Unless it is seriously shorter if you're on top the hill. I've never actually walked FROM frid, so it was just an estimate
Reply 17
Original post by dgeorge
25 minutes? I'd like to see you time yourself, cause I lived quite a bit CLOSER and it still took me half an hour (lived on high street opposite to the green kebab shop)

Unless it is seriously shorter if you're on top the hill. I've never actually walked FROM frid, so it was just an estimate

It's much faster from Fridd, takes me about 15 usually. Just come out of Fridd near Reichel, go down Trem Elidir and then over the mini-roundabout. Take the first left and down the staircase, it brings you out just behind PC World (which is next door to DW).
Original post by dgeorge

I did time myself :biggrin: I go the same direction as the other person described. :smile:
I had the best 3 years of my life in Bangor, there's no place like it. The general atmosphere of the city is amazing, completely student orientated. Students and locals clash a bit but this happens in any small town that is run by students, if you ever visit Bangor when students have gone home it's literally a ghost town. The student village, Ffriddoedd site is very good, regardless of whether you choose the newly built halls or the older ones the accommodation is really good, and the atmosphere on site is great too. I remember during summer time in first year after exams the place felt like a holiday resort and we'd be going to the beach every day or having water fights around the site. I would definitely recommend, i wish i could do it all over again!

Quick Reply

Latest