The Student Room Group

I don't believe that I was born gay

OK, so I don't have conclusive proof of this.

Ever since I've grown up I've been around female influences. I have one sister and 3 female cousins and an auntie who lived with us for 3 years when I was around 8 or 9, and therefore had a very feminine upbringing in terms of the influences around me. Had I been brought up in a masculine household, I've no doubt that I would be far more attracted to women than I am at the moment (I'm bisexual, but tend to prefer men over women). I'm not saying that my sexuality is a bad thing. It's part of who I am, whether I like it or not and I don't see why I should be defined by it. I just don't like it when the militant homosexuals always come out in full force to say that homosexuality is genetic and will not listen to any other arguments, and then proceed to ridicule their opponent. I do not believe that I was born this way (despite what Lady Gaga may say), and that is an opinion I hold.

What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

:spank:
Reply 2
Agree with you, you can't be born gay :P..

unless, you are gay? :confused:
If this thread were written by anyone but you, I'd be more likely to believe
Reply 4
Original post by Otkem
I do not believe that I was born this way (despite what Lady Gaga may say), and that is an opinion I hold.

How can you 'believe' that and then use that as an objective way to effectively insult those who think it is genetic? Those views are just as unsubstantiated as your views that it isnt thus its a bit ignorant to insult their views. This is effectively just your sad way of insulting a set group of people
What about gay men who grew up in very 'masculine' households? what is your theory for them?
Reply 6
Original post by Tommyjw
How can you 'believe' that and then use that as an objective way to effectively insult those who think it is genetic? Those views are just as unsubstantiated as your views that it isnt thus its a bit ignorant to insult their views. This is effectively just your sad way of insulting a set group of people

I was saying that that group of people have no tolerance for people who hold a different opinion. I wasn't insulting them.
Hiya mate,

I believe the exact same as you. It's the whole nature v nurture debate and I always go with nurture myself.
Reply 8
Original post by Otkem
I was saying that that group of people have no tolerance for people who hold a different opinion. I wasn't insulting them.

Yet you called them militant, say 'they come out in full force' and 'they dont listen to any other arguments'.

An aggressive, naive and frankly hypocritical view. You yourself are not listening to their view, and i hardly doubt each and every person ever is 'militant' whatever idiotic insult you mean by that. Simoply pathetic.
Reply 9
:troll:
Reply 10
Original post by Tommyjw
Yet you called them militant, say 'they come out in full force' and 'they dont listen to any other arguments'.

An aggressive, naive and frankly hypocritical view. You yourself are not listening to their view, and i hardly doubt each and every person ever is 'militant' whatever idiotic insult you mean by that. Simoply pathetic.

Militant was an insult for a certain type of person who will not take on board any other arguments.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I would agree that gays shouldn't have to justify their sexuality by saying that "Ohhh it's not my choice is it?!". However, whether it's genetic or environment I don't think there's enough evidence either way.
Reply 12
Original post by TheMeister
Regardless of whether the OP's right or wrong, you sound a bit harsh here. For after all, if his opposition are permitted to speak openly about their opinions, the same courtesy can be extended to those such as the OP.

Uhh... yay? Im not saying he shouldnt have an opinion at all? ... ...
He criticized others for the view they have and that they dont accept other views yet he is doing exactly the same. Its a hypocritical view.

Original post by Otkem
Militant was an insult for a certain type of person who will not take on board any other arguments.

So you have summarized a whole view as militant, yet you yourself do not accept other opinions? Hypocritical views are fun.
Reply 13
Original post by Tommyjw
Uhh... yay? Im not saying he shouldnt have an opinion at all? ... ...
He criticized others for the view they have and that they dont accept other views yet he is doing exactly the same. Its a hypocritical view.

So you have summarized a whole view as militant, yet you yourself do not accept other opinions? Hypocritical views are fun.

No, I was criticising a certain type of person. I wasn't criticising the view that they hold. How is that hypocritical?
I was braught up in a househld with a mum and dad so me and my sister are both bi! :smile:

No, wait, im straight and shes gay because you dont have a choice >.>
Reply 15
Original post by Otkem
No, I was criticising a certain type of person. I wasn't criticising the view that they hold. How is that hypocritical?

Very simple. You criticize them for having this view and not accepting any other ideas, yet you do exactly the same when you dismiss theirs.
Reply 16
Original post by Tommyjw
Very simple. You criticize them for having this view and not accepting any other ideas, yet you do exactly the same when you dismiss theirs.

If you could have been arsed to read my OP, I simply said that I do not believe that I was born gay, and then stated that I had no evidence of this. I then criticised the people who will not tolerate any other viewpoint. I made no criticism of their viewpoint, as I said that mine was a belief rather than a proven fact.
Otkem, you could have at least made another account?

We all know you hate them homos.
Reply 18
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. But I think the results from research into homosexuality are swinging in the other direction.
i really do not see why it matters in the slightest.

you are still bisexual, you can't change that... you shouldn't have to change that.

i completely disagree with you by the way because i do not think attraction works like that, but even if you are right, then the fact you weren't born gay is irrelevant. you also can't purposfully raise a child gay or straight.

Quick Reply

Latest