The Student Room Group

A* possible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I guess this is in the wrong thread -- I'm aiming for an A, not A* but can someone please answer lol. :smile:

If I got:
90UMS - January Unit 1 (AS)
100UMS - June Unit 2 (AS)
100UMS - January Unit 3 (A2)

Then does that mean I only need an "E" or around 40UMS to get an overall A? Please say yes...
Original post by D0LLxo
I guess this is in the wrong thread -- I'm aiming for an A, not A* but can someone please answer lol. :smile:

If I got:
90UMS - January Unit 1 (AS)
100UMS - June Unit 2 (AS)
100UMS - January Unit 3 (A2)

Then does that mean I only need an "E" or around 40UMS to get an overall A? Please say yes...

You only need 30 UMS (i.e. a U) in order to get an A. However, you might as well aim for an A* :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by cpdavis
You only need 30 UMS (i.e. a U) in order to get an A. However, you might as well aim for an A* :tongue:

:eek: Hallelujah!
I would love to get an A*.. but that would mean I would have to get an A in this unit, and I am so behind on Psych work that I don't think it would be possible. So, I am content with an A lol :tongue:
Original post by raman1
What did you get? Where you in the same situation as me?

I said the comment in jest but I got A*AAA.

And no I got 100% in 3/4 exams and slightly lower in the other (can't remember %).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
I said the comment in jest but I got A*AAA.

And no I got 100% in 3/4 exams and slightly lower in the other (can't remember %).

WOWWWW

thats truly amazing well done!

how? share ur revision tips :smile:
Original post by raman1
WOWWWW

thats truly amazing well done!

how? share ur revision tips :smile:

The biggest mistake people make is by over complicating how to achieve success.

People try to incorporate all kinds of wacky revision techniques into their studying. They end up not being able to 'see the woods for the trees'. Those techniques distract you from from the very point of studying: remembering facts, which is essentially what A levels are these days. They limit what you do learn because they are often very time consuming and people waste so much time trying to find the magical technique, when in reality there isn't one.

Yes, people learn in different ways. Some people are visual learners and some are audio learners. Often, the best way to learn is to incorporate both styles. Sit down with the material, read it, regurgitate it onto paper and gradually condense that material so that eventually each topic is prompted in your mind by a single phrase. Try and speak to your parents or friends about what you are learning. If you study Psychology, re-tell a study or a concept you learnt in it. If you study English, re-tell a poem or a novel you have read, and try to explain all of the different layers of meaning the text had, how the writer used a specific structure to enhance that meaning or how they used certain linguistic techniques to convey an undertone. If you study History, re-tell a moment in history, explaining it's causes and effects, it's key highlights, the main figures of importance and any relevant social or economic components attached to it.

You will achieve by hard work. The best way to achieve success is to work hard.

As old fashioned as it sounds, sitting down with a book, reading it and then putting down on a piece of paper what you have learnt is the quickest and most efficient way to learn. Yes, that knowledge needs to be reinforced by discussing it with peers or family and revisiting the information on a continual basis, but complicating the process beyond that will often be unfruitful and won't enhance your learning any further. Any enhancement will be quickly over shadowed by the time it has taken to find those techniques and the amount of time it takes to implement those techniques.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Historophilia
No I think that at A2 both papers have to be over 90%.

NO it's 90% overall at A2, 84 and 96 would suffice
Reply 47
Original post by Jam'
NO it's 90% overall at A2, 84 and 96 would suffice

what about AS is a B enough?
Reply 48
Original post by raman1
what about AS is a B enough?

You need an average of 80% for the whole A-level, and an average of 90% in the A2 modules. It would be possible to achieve this if you had a B at AS.
Original post by raman1
i got 68ums for unit 3, 74 ums for unit 2 and 62 ums for unit 1

If this is the case, then unfortunately, you can't even get an A grade overall as it stands.

Right now, you have 204/300 UMS.

You need 320/400 UMS overall for an A grade.

As you can see, even if you got 100 UMS for Unit 4, you would only have 304/400 UMS, not enough for an A.

Don't worry just yet though, it's completely possible for you to still achieve an A* grade. :smile:

For an A* grade, you need a combined UMS (all your units) of at least 320/400. At the same time, you will need at least 180/200 UMS for the combined score of your Units 3 and 4.

Here's what you can do, if you are really confident you can score top marks for these modules. Retake Unit 3. If you achieve at least 184/200 UMS (for example, getting 94 UMS for Unit 3 and 90 UMS for Unit 4) as your combined score for Units 3 and 4, you will get an A* grade. This is because:

184 + 74 + 62 = 320 UMS

So you would have 80% for your total A-Level and 90% of the UMS for your A2 units (3 and 4), and hence be awarded an A* grade.

However, this is pretty risky - if you don't get at least 184/200 UMS for your Units 3 and 4 combined, you won't even get an A grade. If the workload isn't too much, you could retake Unit 1 in addition to Unit 3 (I'm assuming Unit 1 is the easiest unit). But, if you can't handle that much, it will still be possible for you to get an A* by just retaking Unit 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending